Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

NLA1 Defective key

Postby Matz67 » 18 Feb 2019, 22:13

When I press the key down it sometimes works other times not. And when it does sound the velocity is not as high as when I press other keys. Is there something I can do to fix something like that myself or do I need a pro to do it?
Matz67

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

NLA1 Defective key

Sponsor

Re: NLA1 Defective key

Postby ricard » 02 Apr 2019, 23:06

I sounds as if some dust has gotten into the keyboard contact assembly. You can fix it yourself but it requires a bit of dismantling as you need to open the machine and remove at least the offending key (and associated return spring) and usually a couple around it to get at the silicone rubber contact mat.Carefully lift the mat up around the key that is causing issues (there are studs of the same material that are pushed into holes in the PCB), and clean the contacts, both on the PCB and the black carbon circles on the silicone rubber, with distilled water, applied with a lint-free rag or Q-tip.
ricard

Postby pablomastodon » 04 Apr 2019, 03:09

Water? I have NEVER used water on the contact PCBs for this, and think that it is a bad idea. If the instrument has suffered from a drink spill which leaves some sticky residue, isopropyl or acetone are the cleaners of choice for the circuit boards, applied with cotton swab. Assuming no drink spill or similar contamination, a simple blast of compressed air once one gets underneath the contact strip to expose the contact surfaces will do nicely in most all cases. When refurbing an old and really filthy instrument, I have removed the rubber strips entirely and thrown them into a bucket with ordinary water and a few added drops of dishwashing soap, then copiously rinsed and air dried. Yes, avoid using paper or linty cloth...

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Matz67 » 14 Apr 2019, 12:58

thanks, but for someone like me who is not technically savvy when it comes to synths and never have taken one apart, it sounds like a risky move to try and fix it myself.
Matz67

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum