This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord Grand with Kawai Action

Postby 23skidoo » 07 Apr 2019, 18:22

Every additional feature in a software branch costs exponentially more in the long run. Nord is a very small company. By stripping out features that aren't essential, they're able to maintain a reasonable level of service with the talent they can afford to maintain in-house. Likely they've decided that the cost in the long run to support these features is not worth the fraction of additional sales it would gain. They also tend to balance their UIs towards minimalism, focus on only what's absolutely necessary, and adding features only if there is really incredibly strong demand for them.

So it's pretty easy to see why they don't have extern sections on everything, in fact. They don't make master keyboards, except the Stage is intended to be a centrepiece of an ensemble so that function makes sense there. Everything else is specifically intended to be more or less a standalone instrument and MIDI is provided only for recording/studio functionality. If you can make more use of it, great, but that's clearly not their point for including it on the Electros, Piano, and now the Grand. It's a consistent and logical approach when you comprehend it from the standpoint of the tradeoffs they need to make to keep things focused and manageable.
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Sponsor

Postby analogika » 07 Apr 2019, 18:25

The market for control of external modules and needing actual controller options like mod wheel, pitch bend and aftertouch are almost 100% in overlap.

Adding one without those additional controls makes no market sense at all IMO.

I think it might make sense to add a Stage with the Kawai mechanics to the lineup, rather than turning this into something it doesn’t want to be.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby toniolito » 12 Apr 2019, 17:07

At 00:15, "White grand" is mentionned.

What does that mean? Name of a new piano samples?
In any cases, it's not to give the color of "Nord Grand" :D
toniolito

Postby Rychubil » 13 Apr 2019, 00:05

toniolito wrote:At 00:15, "White grand" is mentionned.

What does that mean? Name of a new piano samples?

I vote for an American Steinway :thumbup:
How do you think?
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby Arsenio » 13 Apr 2019, 02:39

I'm hoping for something signature like Lennon's iconic white steinway or freddie's white bechstein!
Arsenio

Postby Theamuse » 14 Apr 2019, 04:06

I’m a Steinway player. While I’ve played hundreds of other pianos as a soloist, accompanist and dance musician, I grew up with a Steinway and continue to play my childhood instrument. However, now, I feel the need to compose—maybe for film?I’m putting together a modest workspace/studio. Coupled with my space constraints, I find myself looking for a keyboard that feels familiar yet allows for compositional fluidity. I’ve read great things about the Nord Grand vis a vis the touch and feel, yet no one seems to have played one. Anyone out there who has actually played/ felt one?

Anyone out there feel, in retrospect, they would have been better off not buying a Nord for recording/composing or playback?
Theamuse

Postby CountFosco » 14 Apr 2019, 16:29

Theamuse wrote:Anyone out there who has actually played/ felt one?

No, they're not shipping yet.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Spider » 14 Apr 2019, 17:48

Theamuse wrote:I’m a Steinway player. While I’ve played hundreds of other pianos as a soloist, accompanist and dance musician, I grew up with a Steinway and continue to play my childhood instrument. However, now, I feel the need to compose—maybe for film?I’m putting together a modest workspace/studio. Coupled with my space constraints, I find myself looking for a keyboard that feels familiar yet allows for compositional fluidity. I’ve read great things about the Nord Grand vis a vis the touch and feel, yet no one seems to have played one. Anyone out there who has actually played/ felt one?

Anyone out there feel, in retrospect, they would have been better off not buying a Nord for recording/composing or playback?

I think the answers to all your questions is no.

No, nobody has played a Nord Grand because it's not available yet.

No, if you're used to playing a Steinway, I'm afraid no portable digital piano will come close.

And no, while Nords are great for live use (portable and reliable), they're probably not the best choice for recording and composing. For studio work, the standard option is usually a master keyboard with the best possible action, controlling a piano VST.

Of course this also depends largely on budget, space and personal preferences relative to sound and keybed feel.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Rychubil » 14 Apr 2019, 18:42

I agree completely with above. I am also big fan of Steinway but german Steinway strictly.
Personally I would recommend you buying a good master keyboard with great piano action like for example Kawai VPC1 or stage piano Kawai MP11SE and installing on your computer virtual pianos like: Vintage Galaxy, Synthogy Ivory II, Embertone or VSL Steinway D. You will get more realistic sound, more layers and more settings to personalise piano sound.
I am not sure yet what does it mean "White grand" in Nord piano library but for this moment Nord as a Steinway is offering quite old samples "Grand Lady D" and "Concert Grand" only in version L (57MB - 79MB). Still lack of Steinway in XL version (200MB) - maybe "White grand" will be? We will see.
Last edited by Rychubil on 15 Apr 2019, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby dkernohan » 14 Apr 2019, 19:02

Theamuse wrote:I’m a Steinway player. While I’ve played hundreds of other pianos as a soloist, accompanist and dance musician, I grew up with a Steinway and continue to play my childhood instrument. However, now, I feel the need to compose—maybe for film?I’m putting together a modest workspace/studio. Coupled with my space constraints, I find myself looking for a keyboard that feels familiar yet allows for compositional fluidity. I’ve read great things about the Nord Grand vis a vis the touch and feel, yet no one seems to have played one. Anyone out there who has actually played/ felt one?

Wait till this one comes out, then try one - Does it inspire you?

It's not going to be a huge chunk of vibrating wire, wood, and iron - but it will record a lot more easily than strewing microphones around a carefully tuned and prepped grand. Plus you can fit it in the back of your car, and make it sound like a harpsichord, Rhodes, or upright if you need one for the scene you are scoring.
dkernohan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum