Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Are there any happy HP keyboard owners?

Postby Daddy Cool » 19 Mar 2019, 17:40

New here to the Nord family. I just recently purchased a Electro 5 HP and honestly I really am enjoying it. It compliments my Yamaha Genos very well. I do wish that the Electro's would have pitch/bend feature but other than that love it. Guys in my band just love it when I play the B3 samples especially on some of the Deep Purple tracks we play.
Daddy Cool

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby magpie85 » 19 Mar 2019, 18:36

I bought the E3HP many years ago. I still enjoy playing it and church go mad for it when I bring it along and play there. It is noisy when using headphones, but not outside what I would expect from a keybed of this type.

I do wish I had gone for a S2 compact though. It was just a little more money and would have given me so much more sonic capability. I bought it to replace my Yamaha S03 and it is soooooo much better, but I thought I would use it as a single board more than I have. I often use it as a second board and so I think I should have gone with the sw keybed. My other keyboard is a Roland RD 700GX, so fully weighted.

I'm convinced I would have been able to get used to playing the sw keybed for piano for the few occasions I've used it alone, especially as I haven't used the E3 for piano half as much as I expected to.

I'm saving up for a Stage 3 compact. I'll not buy another HP keybed and I don't need another 88 keys. I'll either keep my Roland or get an acoustic upright piano.
Nord Electro 3HP... dreaming of a Stage :keyboard2:
magpie85

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby zeb1970 » 20 Mar 2019, 14:44

Ive got a 6HP and its great.
Just 8 month old so if there are any problem they havnt shown yet.
Great to play on. Love it.
zeb1970

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby ITGITC » 24 Mar 2019, 22:38

I have a NE3HP and am happy.

Have been playing piano & keyboards for over 50 years.

Tom
ITGITC? 8-)
ITGITC

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby RuudVincent » 26 Mar 2019, 13:03

I have a 6 HP and the keybed is oké but not brilliant. I choose the 6 HP because of the piano samples. They are so good IMO.
For a real good keybed the Kawai MP11 SE is the best. If Nord should have such a keybed they would be winners.
RuudVincent

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby lostressnoise » 04 Apr 2019, 04:40

I'm glad most folks have enjoyed these more than me. I bought an electro 5 HP less than a year ago. Within a couple months, I noticed some keys feeling loose and having a clattering sound. Nord replaced the keybed and it came back feeling tight (in a good way) but that only lasted about a month before some keys started feeling loose and sounding noisy. I've followed up with Nord Customer service for MONTHS and they have not been responsive and now the warranty is almost up. I had wanted a Nord for years but the whole experience has been pretty disappointing for me. The sounds and effects are great; it's a shame it couldn't be outfitted with a good keybed and that Nord Customer service isn't better.

I may try lubricating the keybed as I've read that some folks have had success with that, but my instrument has, sadly, seen very little use so I'm not so hopeful that lubrication will get rid of the clatter sound for any length of time. If anyone has any suggestions for ways to reduce the clatter, I'd love to hear about it. I have no complaints about the action of the keybed. It doesn't feel quite like a piano, but it does allow me to be more expressive and it only weighs 30#'s.
lostressnoise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby NolaNord504 » 04 Jun 2019, 00:22

I have an E5 HP and I just bought a 6D 73 to replace it. The Stage 2 HA76 has been my main gigging keyboard for a long time. I bought the 5HP because of the reduced weight and slightly reduced size. For my purposes, I can do almost everything I need to do on the Electro but, I just could not get used to the feel of the HP keyboard. I'm not saying that it's horrible, but I really prefer Stage 2's "HA" keyboard. To me, it's much more even and smooth and feels more like a real piano. Also, the high point trigger setting on the Stage 2 makes a big difference when playing organ on weighted keys (at least to me it does). I didn't realize when I bought the HP that it did not have this feature. It's my fault for assuming, but the other models of both the Stage and the Electro (HA and waterfall) have this setting. The HP keyboard on the E5 has a significant amount of key bounce and is just clunky (at least that's how mine feels). The noise that others have mentioned is real. It's not an issue on a gig, but you can really hear it playing at home even at moderate levels. It almost reminds of playing and old Rhodes (not in a good way). I decided to go back to the waterfall keyboard on the E6 which I think is fantastic in spite of the fact that it's not weighted. I really love the way it feels (even for AP). So for now, I'm sticking with my Stage 2 and keeping the 6D for when I need a light weight option. Also, I think it's worth noting that the new Stage 3 76 also has the HP keyboard, so if I ever decide to upgrade to the 3, it would have to be a Compact. 88's won't work for me because they are too big to haul regardless of weight. I think Nord was successful with the HP to the extent that they were able to deliver a lighter and more portable keyboard with weighted action. Unfortunately, it meant a compromise relative to what you get with the heavier HA keyboard. I would recommend trying one out before buying just to make sure it will work for you.
Last edited by NolaNord504 on 04 Jun 2019, 06:40, edited 2 times in total.
-Brian
Stage 2 HA76, Electro 6D 73
Gone but not forgotten: Stage 76 (Classic), Electro 2 73, Electro 3 73, Electro 5 HP
NolaNord504

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby HwyStar » 04 Jun 2019, 14:55

I have not been able to play an HP action yet and am in need of an action that is similar to my acoustic piano at 48-49 grams at Middle C.

Does anyone of you have a piano key weight set that I could bother you with where you could measure Middle C for me, please?

I am going back and forth between the Electro 6 and the Nord Grand. The Nord Grand action, being that it is the Kawai RH3 is probably too heavy for my aging hands.

Thanks, Guys!
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby jperiod » 05 Jun 2019, 18:03

RuudVincent wrote:I have a 6 HP and the keybed is oké but not brilliant. I choose the 6 HP because of the piano samples. They are so good IMO.
For a real good keybed the Kawai MP11 SE is the best. If Nord should have such a keybed they would be winners.

The new Nord Grand uses the Kawai keyboarf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jperiod

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby andydrummer2009 » 14 Jun 2019, 19:05

An HP will make organ and leads really tough. In the jam scene all of the HPs I've seen are also accompanied with another specifically for organ. Holly Bowling uses 2 Electros - an 5HP and a 5D: https://youtu.be/G8Uz6NyiXDU?t=353
andydrummer2009

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum