General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS2EX or NS3

Postby Streef » 16 Mar 2019, 13:30

Interesting quote from Daniel below, as the NS3 is the 'better' version! You indicate you're a pianist, I suggest to really take some time playing the two instruments, as the feel between the NS2EX and NS3 is not the same, specifically for piano's. I for example, switched back from NS3 to NS2EX (both HA88) because of the piano feel, and some other people did as well. Please note that that was about a year ago and the NS3 firmware has been improved greatly since then.

Good luck with your choice!

DanielD71 wrote:I have both (88) and love them.

If i have to sell one, I really do not know which one it will be.

Regards,

Dan
Nord Stage 2EX, Novation Circuit

The author Streef was thanked by:
toniolito
Streef
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Sponsor

Postby DanielD71 » 16 Mar 2019, 15:06

Hello Streef
I just said if but I’m not thinking about it :-)
I’m not really a pianist, more a keyboard player. I’v always been using a workstation (korg T3, kurzweil k2000, Roland fantom x6, korg m3, motif es6 and a korg Kronos 2) with a stage piano.

So presently, I use my ns2ex88 with my xf7 and I can do pretty much everything I want with this combo. I do not really need seamless transition because I can switch sound easily with two boards. When I was young, I used 4 keyboards but that’s a long time ago :-)...

If I would play with only one keyboard, it would be with a 76/88 workstation because I’m more a keyboard player.

I really like the NS3, I used it to play Firth of Fifth with only one keyboard, was pretty fun. This is the video I made. It is not perfect, but for me to be able to do this with one keyboard is great :-)

https://youtu.be/vsjvRxqSlHI

Best regards to you
Dan
Attachments
400A9544-8572-4690-BF7C-E502B688FB19.jpeg
400A9544-8572-4690-BF7C-E502B688FB19.jpeg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1222 times
Daniel

The author DanielD71 was thanked by:
toniolito
DanielD71

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby toniolito » 16 Mar 2019, 18:54

The problem is that playing a NS2EX is not easy because it's hard to find since only NS3 is available in music stores.
The only time I have played on NS2 was in a instrument rental company for big stage which graciously offers me to test the keyboard. NS2EX was connected to a mono amp and inside a big storage shed. Despite these particular condition the NS2 was sounding great to me.
But it's hard to make a comparison with NS3 in a music store with headphones and also a stereo amp+bass amp.

When I say i'm a pianist. In fact, I almost play piano at home, but with my cover band, I must play with rhodes, synth (if my roland can do), strings, organs, pads and piano.
By buying a Nord stage, I hope to improve my knowledge with synthesis. I think Nord stage would be perfect keyboards to explore synth sounding.

Daniel, you are the guy who has the key to help me making a choice. You own the 2 keyboards.
toniolito

Postby DanielD71 » 16 Mar 2019, 19:26

Hello Toniolito
A lot or members here have a lot of boards (more than one stage).
Like you, Im playing in rock/progressive bands.

I will always need a semi weighted keyboard for organ and synth lead parts.
If you are planning to only use one board, the NS3 is the better choice. You could use multiple program for a song and the seamless program change will eliminate any cutoff.

If you plan to use two boards, you could Buy a use NS2ex88 and a 61 synth keyboard. I really like the Motif series (es/xs/xf). The motif midi implementation works really well with the nord stage.

You should read/watch reviews to make up your mind.

By the way, I never had any polyphony issue with my NS288 (sold) and my NS2EX88.
In fact, I only had this issue with my NS3 but Clavia gave us a firmware update for this.

Regards,
Daniel

The author DanielD71 was thanked by:
toniolito
DanielD71

Postby analogika » 16 Mar 2019, 19:36

I switched from a Stage 2 compact to a Stage 3 compact.

I prefer pretty much everything about the Stage 3. The synth feels faster to program, and more versatile.

The piano filters make it very quick to get a rough result.

The seamless transitions are a MAJOR thing for me, as switching sounds takes far less planning and timing (there would *always* be a chopped-off decay or reverb with the Stage 2).
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
toniolito
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby toniolito » 16 Mar 2019, 23:13

Thank you all.
In fact, you don't simplify my task :D
I totally agree on NS3 superiority. I need to convince me (and my wife) to spend 1.5K more on a new keyboard.

The style of my band music is Muse, coldplay, stereophonics, pink floyd, Queen, Maroon 5, Red hot, ... but I play a lot more outside my band. I'm currently a big fan of Chilly Gonzales music.
I don't want to carry two keyboard for gigs and rehearsals.

A new NS3 is to me overpriced, so at first, I think I will watch for used market and hope that a used NS3 can be purchased in my region. But I will also watch for good price on NS2EX.
toniolito

Postby LeftyBass68 » 17 Mar 2019, 18:02

My first Nord 88 was the EX88 and it was a great instrument.I had no trouble finding a new owner.....
Replaced it with the last factory sealed NS2 EX88 I could find at a door crasher price.
I'm quite happy to remain one series behind while Nord settles the 3 operating systems issues.
I play a fair amount of organ and synth on the NS2 EX88. Never had an issue with polyphony.

I am impressed with my NS3C.I needed a performance synth/organ.
Not really as 'organ' as I'd like.I have the C2D as well.
If I'm only playing one it's the NS3C.
The NS3C pianos are only a midi cable away from the NS2EX....

I would go for the NS2EX which has all you'll really need,want's aside.
Huge upgrade from the old Roland IMO.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.

The author LeftyBass68 was thanked by:
toniolito
LeftyBass68

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby aureliopenna » 18 Mar 2019, 14:59

I Switched from NS2 Compact to NS3 Compact, while I kept both in my studio (before selling NS2) I made and record some comparisions (wich is in the forum btw). I never have the pleasure of playing on NS3 as I did on NS2. Converters? Keybed? Velocity Curve? Main equalization? Piano physics? don't know, but to me NS2 sound//feel better than NS3.
I just sold my NS2 because it has the USB port broked. But I missed... Never played on a NS2EX, so I can't tell anything about it.

The author aureliopenna was thanked by:
toniolito
aureliopenna

Postby NoDirection » 18 Mar 2019, 16:20

I had a NordStage 3 compact for some days but returned it since I didn't like the keybed feeling. But everything else was great with that board, so my next buy will be ha NordStage 3 88 with HA keys. And since you are a pianist I guess HA action will suit you best as well... Do not be afraid of the quality of the instrument. I have owned 4 different Nords and they all worked perfectly, they are very solid build.
Last edited by NoDirection on 18 Mar 2019, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6

The author NoDirection was thanked by:
toniolito
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby toniolito » 27 Mar 2019, 20:33

Done.
I just bought an used NS3 88, 1 year old, for a reasonable price with case, stand and triple pedal.
I don't live near seller location but my family, yes.
So my brother has checked that keyboard was in good condition and it was the case.
And my father has retrieved all the package today.
I now have to wait 3 weeks to be deliveted by my parents.

Thank you for your advices.
I think I will use this forum a lot.

The author toniolito was thanked by 2 members, including:
DanielD71analogika
toniolito

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum