All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Gear Alert: new QSC K8.2

Postby cphollis » 16 Mar 2019, 13:29

I haven't tried the USB interface. I would expect all inputs to mix down to 2 channel stereo.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
catosim
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby catosim » 16 Mar 2019, 16:23

cphollis wrote:I haven't tried the USB interface. I would expect all inputs to mix down to 2 channel stereo.

OK. What about the sustain function - is it possible to trigger rotor-effect?
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 16 Mar 2019, 19:05

I haven't tried that, but I would expect that to work.
cphollis

Postby Dreamer » 14 Aug 2019, 08:44

I just joined the club purchasing a bundle of two K8.2 with bags. Did an extensive test run with my E5D and a Yam P250. I can confirm most of the comments and findings in this thread about sound quality (outstanding) and fan noise (acceptable). What I‘d like to know is how people use the different presets (live, stage monitor 1/2, voice etc.) and how should E5D settings (especially pianos) be adjusted accordingly. I found use as floor monitor most convenient for me, but, as an example, how should white grand on E5D be handled: no EQ at all, let the DSP presets do the job in the QSC or use a studio monitor preset on QSC and tweak piano sound with E5D EQ?
Dreamer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby catosim » 14 Aug 2019, 17:41

Another question: Anyone who can share experiences regarding the K8.2 with sub?
I use mine K8.2s with a single sub (old one and not very good quality), to get the lower bass-range as well.
Thinking about purchasing a QSC KS112 instead. Seems to be acceptable size and weight on this speaker.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 14 Aug 2019, 19:24

Dreamer wrote:I just joined the club purchasing a bundle of two K8.2 with bags. Did an extensive test run with my E5D and a Yam P250. I can confirm most of the comments and findings in this thread about sound quality (outstanding) and fan noise (acceptable). What I‘d like to know is how people use the different presets (live, stage monitor 1/2, voice etc.) and how should E5D settings (especially pianos) be adjusted accordingly. I found use as floor monitor most convenient for me, but, as an example, how should white grand on E5D be handled: no EQ at all, let the DSP presets do the job in the QSC or use a studio monitor preset on QSC and tweak piano sound with E5D EQ?

Glad you like them. I set mine to flat ("studio", I believe), put them on poles and do any required EQ from the Nord. That way, I can dial in EQ differently for each patch if required.
cphollis

Postby Rusty Mike » 15 Aug 2019, 04:26

I think I mentioned this somewhere else on this forum (in one of the many amplification threads), but I knock the treble down on mine, -2dB if I recall. I don't like an overly bright sound, and shelving the highs help take a bit of edge off. Then I'll EQ to the room and my mood, but usually take a small bit of midrange out around the 200-300Hz area to reduce the mud.

I also run mine on those short Yorkville poles. Can't recall the model number. Mono most of the time, but stereo when I'm in the mood to carry more stuff.

Also, when I run mono, I run two cables to connect both the left and right outputs to the A and B inputs on the speaker. Been doing it this way for years, and I don't ever use the MONO button on the Nord. I don't hear any phasing issues and the sound is balanced. I'll use a mixer for stereo applications (Mackie 402VLZ4, Mackie ProDX8 or Radial Key Largo), but plug in direct for mono.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Dreamer » 17 Aug 2019, 10:47

Thanks guys, will follow the studio monitor setting plus E5D EQ approach since the stage monitor setting seems just not to be flexible enough.... However I think it is really dependent of environment, no idea if outdoor usage will be also fine with this. I‘ll keep you posted.
Dreamer

Postby thecount » 23 Sep 2019, 20:02

Hey guys

I bought a pair of K.2 last year, very satisfied so far. Now a customer asked for a christmas party gig, smooth background piano music in a car dealership. I had no opportunity to try how loud they can get. What do you think about limit and spread on a rather wide area indoor?
thecount

Postby cphollis » 23 Sep 2019, 23:51

So, maybe 50-100 people tops? And you're background music? A pair of K2s should be more than adequate in volume, clarity, spread and projection. The only things that are better for venues like that are the small line arrays.
cphollis

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification