General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

First gig with NS3

Postby ericL » 11 Mar 2019, 16:59

Hi forum,

I acquired a NS3 Compact back in January and have spent the past 6 weeks replicating dozens of Programs from my NS2 that I've been using since 2011. I had the NS2 plus Motif XS Rack and am pushing the NS3 to replace both of those pieces of gear. I had a pretty decent gig with it this past weekend. Observations:

- NS3 has a more airy and transparent sound overall - mostly noticeable in the synth and sample section. This is mostly good, but at times I want it to cut and be more prominent in the mix. I believe I can solve for this by programming.
- I had some polyphony issues, I think where I was pushing too many stereo layered samples and synths. I need to go back and refactor a few things.
- The organ sound is surely an improvement and I love the drawbars. I am still using a Ventilator and it really improves the sound overall.
- I have gotten used to the new Setlist and Song approach for arranging Programs, which seems to work pretty well for me as I was able to pretty quickly move and swap things around. I still wish the ABC sorting worked a bit more like the NS2.

Overall, it was a pretty good experience that signaled the need for me to spend even more time getting things just right.

Regards,
Eric
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by 2 members, including:
DanielD71pablomastodon
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

First gig with NS3

Sponsor

Re: First gig with NS3

Postby hernjov1 » 12 Mar 2019, 14:39

Hi Eric, yeah like all new boards no matter how good they are they still need tweaked after the first gig out....The NS3C for me was very easy once learned to adjust after first gig out with it...I'm still wanting to use the sample editor for extra looping & more... I'm looking to put wav files into the editor to play around with it... Have you ever used the editor before?
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Roland AX-7 keyboard guitar. Past keyboards and modules. Roland A-70 Controller, Kurzweil K25OORS Sampler, Roland D-50, Korg NSR5 module, Juno 60, Roland 106, Korg Poly 6, Yamaha DX-7, Hammond B-3 with 122 Leslie...
hernjov1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ericL » 12 Mar 2019, 18:01

Yes, I use the editor from time to time when I need a sound that I can't make from what is existing or from the synth. Usually very specialized sounds. This forum is a treasure trove of sounds, many of which I've contributed - mostly NS2 historically but ready to start sharing NS3 Programs soon!
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Postby hernjov1 » 13 Mar 2019, 02:06

Sounds good Eric...I will too once I'm comfortable with it all...Do you know anything about putting wav file samples from the NS3C on the editor? I was told to use keyboard that have wave sounds... Would love to load sounds from the Stage three in, but haven't figured out how it's possible... Any trick to that, and thanks for responding bud...
Last edited by hernjov1 on 13 Mar 2019, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Roland AX-7 keyboard guitar. Past keyboards and modules. Roland A-70 Controller, Kurzweil K25OORS Sampler, Roland D-50, Korg NSR5 module, Juno 60, Roland 106, Korg Poly 6, Yamaha DX-7, Hammond B-3 with 122 Leslie...
hernjov1

Postby ericL » 13 Mar 2019, 15:19

hernjov1 wrote:Sounds good Eric...I will too once I'm comfortable with it all...Do you know anything about putting wav file samples from the NS3C on the editor? I was told to use keyboard that have wave sounds... Would love to load sounds from the Stage three in, but haven't figured out how it's possible... Any trick to that, and thanks for responding bud...

Not quite sure what you're describing here? Moving samples already in the NS3 to the editor? That should not be necessary if they are already in the NS3. The only use I have for the editor if I need a new sound that I can't find or create from an existing source. There is so much great source material between the Nord Sample Library, the synth presets, the Programs, and also all the user contributions on this forum. It has been rare that I've needed to leverage the editor.
ericL
Patch Creator

Postby hernjov1 » 14 Mar 2019, 13:47

True...Thanks for your response Eric...
hernjov1

Return to Nord Stage Forum