Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead a1 for Reggae/Dub

Postby DimitrisPl » 08 Mar 2019, 17:02

Heys guys!How many of you use the Nord Lead A1 for Dub/Reaggae music?It's great instrument for other music styles but i haven't managed to get it really work for this type of music!Interested to hear your sounds for this kind of music!
DimitrisPl

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Nord Lead a1 for Reggae/Dub

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead a1 for Reggae/Dub

Postby 23skidoo » 08 Mar 2019, 17:07

Paging Mr. @PabloMastodon...
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby pablomastodon » 12 Mar 2019, 07:06

cho -- dub/reggae music? Are you trying to play bass? Bubble? Skank? Leads/horns? Dimitri, you don't really say what it is you are trying to play. They are all very different sounds...and the NLA1 is capable in each area.

In fact, I recently (last week) reprogrammed my gigging rig to use the NLA1R for all bubbling duties. Also use it for many synth/leads sounds, augmenting the NS3's synth sections. I've been using Micro Modular for basses for many years now, avoiding using NS2 and now NS3 Synth sections for this duty because of the PB limitation (gotta have at least +/- one octave for meaningful bass work), but now that NS3 has expanded that possibility it might be time to rethink that...but it IS convenient to have one single unit assigned to do just one thing and nothing else.

bless, pablo
Last edited by pablomastodon on 19 Mar 2019, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby DimitrisPl » 12 Mar 2019, 09:33

Yes sorry i wasn't specific in what sounds i would like to hear.Trying to find some lead sounds to company my nord electro's organ and clav!Thank you for your answer!
DimitrisPl

Postby CountFosco » 12 Mar 2019, 12:00

There are hundreds of great lead presets on the A1, and leadally speaking, it has the tools to make almost anything you could want. Do you have some links to examples of the kind of sounds you're after?

The author CountFosco was thanked by:
pablomastodon
CountFosco

Postby Cohesive » 15 Aug 2019, 11:52

Pablo, I have been looking everywhere for a synth based approach to bubble sound design. I don’t have an A1 but have the Lead 4. I have been looking into programming synth based bubble sound to get a little more variation than the standard B3 bubble we have been using on the Stage 2 ex. Do you have any suggested starting point to develop synth based bubble patches. I am hoping that I can adapt your A1 thoughts to my Lead 4.
Cohesive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby pablomastodon » 17 Aug 2019, 02:59

my all-time favorite bubble (and one which consistently got compliments from other reggae musicians) was on Korg 707, the last thing they put out before M1. The engine in it was actually made by Yamaha as a favor to Korg which was struggling to stay afloat at the time. So it's kind of like a DX7, totally FM-based, with a Korg-designed user interface. Sorry, I digress...

Some years ago I posted some 707 samples; here's one of two links:

https://www.norduserforum.com/post62070.html?hilit=707#p62070

That bubble sample doesn't really quite have the quality of the 707 (not sure why?), but is close.

As for programming from scratch, use either a sine wave or basic FM (which is a sine wave) and don't mess with it too much. At least for me, the sound I like has a very limited useful range -- perhaps 1-1/2 octaves. Soften the leading edge by backing off on the attack, just enough to make it round; release set the same way. I like my bubbles to mimic puffs of air. Some chiffy-type sounds can work for this. For the record, I almost never use B3 for bubble sound, and then pretty much stripped down to one fundamental drawbar, perhaps with just a touch of a higher fundamental. No chorus, no vibrato, leslie on slow or stop (or off). That can give me a tone that I like, but low volume output, and using the drive adds too much crunch, all of which is why I look to synth section for bubble instead of organ section.

Sorry to be long-winded here. Ultimately, just look for the tone which puts a smile on your face. :)

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Cohesive
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby Cohesive » 18 Aug 2019, 10:54

Thanks Pablo, this is perfect as my knowledge of synths is limited as I am actually a bass player. I actually trying to set my daughters keyboards up as she has started gigging with us. What you describe is one of the sounds I am after "mimic Puffs of Air". The Stage 2 B3 bubble we currently use is stripped back 800 000 003 setting on the drawbars, I would like to shape this a bit but there is no envelope filter to tailor the attack and release on the Stage 2 organ engine. The other sound I am trying to get I can only describe as the "Whi" in Whip but more more of a Wah back end. The artist I am playing for at the moment describes it as a "Monkey Wah" sound, kind of like a "ohh" sounding deep grunt that a monkey makes if that makes sense. I have been playing around with lower register flute, Chambelin (Flute), Pan flute and ocarina samples on the stage 2 to try to mimic this but have not been to successful. Hence my looking to the Lead 4 and synthesis options, and that is where I noted your" reprogrammed my gigging rig to use the NLA1R for all bubbling duties" comment in this thread. I have download your sample from the other thread (thanks for the link) and will have a play. On a side not I am getting great skank options from the Lead 4 and Stage 2 working together, just need to nail some other bubbles.
Cohesive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby pablomastodon » 19 Aug 2019, 02:07

go for the FM sine and plain triangle/sine waveform; the synth section provides the envelope controls. Personally, I've never found a happy B# setting for bubbling, but on the other hand I have gone to see friend's shows, really liked their bubbling, and been surprised to to learn afterward that they were using the Nord B3 engine to do it.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
Cohesive
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum