This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

keyboard with computor

Postby Dave Wright » 05 Mar 2019, 14:08

Hi. To say i'm not technically minded is an understatement !!!

I have a Nord Stage Compact 73 ( early model ). The keyboard itself is excellent for what l do.

I would however like to download strings and brass from Nord, but the memory on the instrument is very limited.

A member on the forum did say this was possible and told be that l would need an audio interface. I now have one.

I've read the manual ( over and over ) re Midi and External , but i'm afraid it's way over my head.

Can anybody let me know ( as simply as possible ) what l need to do to take downloads from Nord and use the extra sounds through the interface and into a computor,

which l can then use with the instrument.
Dave Wright

keyboard with computor

Sponsor

Re: keyboard with computor

Postby NoDirection » 05 Mar 2019, 14:27

As far as I know your (original) Nord Stage 1 does not support playing samples, so you have to play them outside your Nord Stage. You can use a program on your computer to load virtual synths with your desired brass sounds and use your Nord Stage as a MIDI controller against your new audio interface (I presume your audio interface got MIDI in) I guess that is what the other member suggested.
Go to a modern music store and get them to demonstrate virtual instruments, then you get the idea if this is what you want... And maybe you also should take a look at the latest Nord Electro
Last edited by NoDirection on 05 Mar 2019, 14:32, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6

The author NoDirection was thanked by:
Dave Wright
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 05 Mar 2019, 15:13

Dave Wright wrote:I would however like to download strings and brass from Nord, but the memory on the instrument is very limited.

A member on the forum did say this was possible and told be that l would need an audio interface. I now have one.

I've read the manual ( over and over ) re Midi and External , but i'm afraid it's way over my head.

Can anybody let me know ( as simply as possible ) what l need to do to take downloads from Nord and use the extra sounds through the interface and into a computor,

It is not possible to use your Nord Stage (or any keyboard) to play Nord strings/brass samples from your computer. However, using the Nord's EXT function, you can play other (non-Nord) strings/brass samples from your computer. What kind of computer do you have? Easiest to get going with is an iPad/iPhone, then Mac, then Windows.
anotherscott

Postby Gambold » 05 Mar 2019, 23:37

Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth

The author Gambold was thanked by 2 members, including:
Dave WrightCountFosco
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Dave Wright » 06 Mar 2019, 14:35

anotherscott wrote:
Dave Wright wrote:I would however like to download strings and brass from Nord, but the memory on the instrument is very limited.

It is not possible to use your Nord Stage (or any keyboard) to play Nord strings/brass samples from your computer. However, using the Nord's EXT function, you can play other (non-Nord) strings/brass samples from your computer. What kind of computer do you have? Easiest to get going with is an iPad/iPhone, then Mac, then Windows.

Thanks for your reply;
I can use either mac, i pad. L only have windows 7
Dave Wright

Postby anotherscott » 07 Mar 2019, 19:32

Which connector does the iPad have? (most are lightning, newest are usb-c, oldest are 30-pin)
anotherscott

Postby analogika » 07 Mar 2019, 22:28

I read it as “no iPad”.

The situation is this:

If you have an original Stage or Stage EX (not Stage 2, 2 EX, or Stage 3), there is NO WAY you can use it to play the non-piano samples from the Nord site.
The original Stage can ONLY load the Nord pianos; its internal synth has no way to play samples from the Nord Sample Library (or any other library).

Your only option for playing sounds other than the internal synth, organ, and the Nord piano library pianos you’ve loaded onto the machine is to use a different machine or a software synthesiser on the Windows PC. Both of these can be controlled from the Stage.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 08 Mar 2019, 16:31

Ah. I thought he was saying he could use Mac or Ipad, or an old version of Windows. But yeah, maybe he means to say "can't" instead of "can"...?
anotherscott

Return to General Nord Forum