All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Focusrite scarlett

Postby Nepean » 02 Mar 2019, 08:26

Hi there

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (I couldn't find anything regarding this on the forum).

I've got a Nord Piano 3 (which is absolutely fantastic - especially the upright piano sounds) and am trying to set up a small basic home recording system using my laptop (ideally that does things of a reasonably good quality). I don't know much about the recording / sound engineering world. An esteemed musical colleague tells me that I need to buy a preamp, to connect from the Nord to the laptop, and apparently a Focusright Scarlett 2IC is the way to go.

However, as far a I can see the 2IC does not seem to be designed to record an electric piano in stereo. I might be wrong, but there seems to be single inputs for a normal guitar lead and also for the microphone lead input. I would have thought you would ideally want to record the Nord Piano in stereo, which (could be wrong) I thought would require two guitar lead type inputs to come from the left and right outputs of the Nord.

If anyone would be kind enough to let me know whether this Focusright Scarlett 2IC is the way to go, or whether there is something else more appropriate, I'd be really grateful! I'm trying to (as always) get good sound quality without spending a house deposit. Thanks a lot.
Nepean

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Focusrite scarlett

Sponsor

Re: Focusrite scarlett

Postby Bjosko » 02 Mar 2019, 11:03

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 are what you need.
2 combined XLR or TS inputs.
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
Helix8
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby analogika » 02 Mar 2019, 13:16

When listening back to the recording, you do need to make sure that the two inputs of the Scarlett are panned to either side (L/R), as they will tend to be panned center by default, which results in a mono signal that doesn't do the Nord full justice.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Johannes » 02 Mar 2019, 13:28

You might consider step it up a bit to get the 6i6 as an alternative, which still doesn't break the bank,
but provides in addition 4 line inputs that avoid the use of the preamp (which is not needed imho for a fully electronic keyboard (compared e.g., to a Rhodes))
for your NP (and eventually a second stereo keyboard in case), and you still have the two instrument/Mic combo inputs to add a guitar, bass or Microphone to do multitrack recording.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby danrv » 02 Mar 2019, 13:39

analogika wrote:When listening back to the recording, you do need to make sure that the two inputs of the Scarlett are panned to either side (L/R), as they will tend to be panned center by default, which results in a mono signal that doesn't do the Nord full justice.

Yes. Also worth noting is that the headphone jack on the Scarlett 2i2 is mono when using direct monitoring.
I thought this a bit strange as headphone outputs on audio equipment are normally stereo. It’s because when using
the inputs for mono sources, their sound will be centered rather than in R or L ear.
The LR outputs on the back are individual channels for stereo connection to a speaker system.
I think the 2i4 has a mono/stereo switch for direct monitoring.

The jack provides stereo monitoring though when DM switch is off.
The 2i2 works fine and I don’t need more than 2 inputs.
Last edited by danrv on 02 Mar 2019, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Postby Nepean » 03 Mar 2019, 08:34

Thanks a lot for the advice. I bought a 2i2 and it seems to work great.

Going to release a few songs to make a million bucks to put towards the house deposit!
Nepean

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby danrv » 04 Mar 2019, 16:11

Cool 8-)
Last edited by danrv on 04 Mar 2019, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Postby Lucie_r » 17 Jul 2019, 22:22

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to record my Nord Stage 3 (and like you Nepean, I'm absolutely in love with it) with a Focusriste Scarlett Solo (so, mono sound). I'm connecting my Nord Stage with 1 cable from CH1 output.
The sound card gets the signal (the gain button flashes green), I can hear the piano when I play, and when I record, but the piano can't seem to get recorded. I click on 'record', everything seems to work, I can hear the piano, but nothing gets written on the track as the recording goes on.
Does anyone have any clue of what it could be?
Thanks so much in advance!
Cheers,
Lucie
Lucie_r

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Berretje » 18 Jul 2019, 14:10

Lucie_r wrote:Hi everyone,
I can hear the piano, but nothing gets written on the track as the recording goes on.
Lucie

For most DAW's you have to "arm" the track for recording.
Mostly this is a button with an "R" on it that flashes/turns red. Then you have to press the transport record button to actually record it.

Also make sure that the correct input is selected. You could hear your piano through the interface itself instead of through your daw.

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 12.06.40 PM.png
Logic Pro X - Arm track
Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 12.06.40 PM.png (228.2 KiB) Viewed 4353 times

Gr
Bart
Last edited by Berretje on 18 Jul 2019, 14:24, edited 3 times in total.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby danrv » 18 Jul 2019, 15:09

Berretje wrote:
For most DAW's you have to "arm" the track for recording.
Mostly this is a button with an "R" on it that flashes/turns red. Then you have to press the transport record button to actually record it.

Also make sure that the correct input is selected. You could hear your piano through the interface itself instead of through your daw.

Gr
Bart

Yes. Assuming the Focusrite driver is installed, check under devices to make sure it’s selected as your in/out or ASIO. You should see input level meters in the software when playing the Nord.
Also I’ve found a reboot or DAW restart fixes it and often the order of starting the DAW and connecting the audio interface affects operation.
Last edited by danrv on 18 Jul 2019, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
danrv

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification