Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Some very good news for NE5 owners.

Postby analogika » 20 Feb 2019, 14:34

The memory question keeps coming up, and the answer is invariably that the type of Flash memory used in most sample players (write slowly, but access in real-time fast enough for high polyphony without having to first load the samples into RAM) is EXTREMELY expensive.

The alternative is having disk storage and loading into RAM, but this requires a wait and is also volatile, so samples have to be re-loaded after power-cycling.

Kurzweil finally broke this with their new machines last year, so we’re probably going to see new tech propagate across the industry in the next few years that will make much larger storage of this kind feasible and affordable.
Last edited by analogika on 20 Feb 2019, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby jeltz » 28 Feb 2019, 20:08

Noticed a weird behaviour when using new EP samples. When FC-7 pedal is plugged in, then if you switch from/to sounds, which are using the new EP samples, there is noticeable crack in loudspeakers. For example, I have EP on live 3 and organ on live 2. Touching once keys for organ sound, then switching over to live 3 and there is crack in the sound. I'm not holding the keys. And switching between live 2 and 3 makes almost always crack, sometimes quieter, sometimes louder. No difference if volume pedal is on max on min, no difference when using effects or not. When using EP sample 5.3, no cracks, when unplug footpedal, also no cracks even with new samples. Can anybody test and confirm?
jeltz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby neworleans » 03 Mar 2019, 09:05

Noticed the same as well, though I didn't have my FC-7 plugged in. I do have control pedal type set to FC-7 though. Problem is it only happened a day or so ago and hasn't since, so even if I make the change I likely won't be able to gather any data unless the popping comes back. Hopefully it's just an OS bug.
neworleans

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby onthecorner » 03 Mar 2019, 20:11

jeltz wrote:Noticed a weird behaviour when using new EP samples. When FC-7 pedal is plugged in, then if you switch from/to sounds, which are using the new EP samples, there is noticeable crack in loudspeakers. For example, I have EP on live 3 and organ on live 2. Touching once keys for organ sound, then switching over to live 3 and there is crack in the sound. I'm not holding the keys. And switching between live 2 and 3 makes almost always crack, sometimes quieter, sometimes louder. No difference if volume pedal is on max on min, no difference when using effects or not. When using EP sample 5.3, no cracks, when unplug footpedal, also no cracks even with new samples. Can anybody test and confirm?

Noticed the same thing. I'm not sure the model number of the sustain pedal I use but it's definitely happening when I switch from a new EP to an organ program.
onthecorner

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum