Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Re: Recommendation for Module?

Postby kbmatson » 27 Feb 2019, 19:17

FWIW (OP Here) - I ended up with the Yamaha MX49 - pretty happy with it. Nice sounds-just what I needed, SUPER light, and 16 part multi-timbral with 128 note polyphony - meaning i can easily address 2 sounds from the Nord Ext sections plus the MX 49 can split/layer two more itself AND if needed, it will play up to 16 part sequence from a MID file on a USB drive!

Only downside is that to do any significant editing - must use the computer software.
kbmatson

Sponsor

Postby Buisbird » 12 Mar 2020, 00:05

cgrafx wrote:The Integra has a great catalog of sounds, but none of the 2nd layer/alternate sounds (brass falls, for example) are accessible without a keyboard that can control those functions. Meaning you'd still need a 2nd midi controller with the right buttons to get access to them.

This seems important before I try to pick one up 2nd hand. Are you saying that certain sounds can not be selected from the front panel?
Cheers, B
Buisbird
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cgrafx » 12 Mar 2020, 01:57

Buisbird wrote:
cgrafx wrote:The Integra has a great catalog of sounds, but none of the 2nd layer/alternate sounds (brass falls, for example) are accessible without a keyboard that can control those functions. Meaning you'd still need a 2nd midi controller with the right buttons to get access to them.

This seems important before I try to pick one up 2nd hand. Are you saying that certain sounds can not be selected from the front panel?
Cheers, B

The sounds can all be accessed, but what you won't get are any of the alternate functions/sounds on the SuperNatural sounds (Like brass falls or guitar plucks or harmonics while your playing).

If you look at a Roland A49 controller you will see buttons dedicated to the superNatural sounds.

From the user manual: "The A-49 can assign all its controllers automatically for fully utilizing an external SuperNATURAL sound module such as the INTEGRA-7"

The S1 and S2 buttons are used to access these alternate sound features. There is no way to do that from the Nord Keyboard.
Attachments
x4mv5y1.jpg
x4mv5y1.jpg (102.26 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
Buisbird
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Buisbird » 15 Mar 2020, 00:24

Right, thanks that helps.
Buisbird
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 15 Mar 2020, 17:47

The Korg X50 is cheap (got mine for $350) and you can pick up by its handle with your little finger. It has some nice ROM sounds from the Korg library and they are tweakable if you don't mind menu diving. NAMM show demo -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 15 Mar 2020, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum