Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Midi question 5D

Postby Taffy94 » 21 Feb 2019, 21:10

Ok, I want to add a synthesizer to my 5D, but I wouldn’t want to use it with all programs so my question is this, is it possible to save a midi channel specifically to a program. The idea being that when I want to use it I could have a program with midi set to channel 1 and other programs to say midi channel 2 .
Or would it be possible to have midi transmit off/on dependent on the program. I can’t seem to find an option that does this, or is there another way of achieving this.

Thanks
Taffy94

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Midi question 5D

Sponsor

Re: Midi question 5D

Postby anotherscott » 23 Feb 2019, 15:23

With the appropriate settings, the external device would be driven by your Upper part, and you can save Programs where the internal keys don't trigger the Upper part, so that will do what you want as long as you don't need to also split or layer two Nord sounds. Basically, you'd have two operating modes: (1) play one or two Nord sounds in conjunction with your external synth, and (2) play only a single Nord sound. Because assigning an upper sound to the keyboard would also trigger your external synth. (You could silence that synth with its own volume control/pedal, but it may still create undesirable results since it would still be receiving MIDI.) If that's not sufficient, another approach would be to insert a MIDI kill switch between the Nord and the synth, and use that when you don't want the synth to respond to the Nord. https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/2585108 ... ill-switch

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
JXraysTaffy94
anotherscott

Postby Taffy94 » 23 Feb 2019, 16:26

Thanks for the reply, you confirmed what I’d thought. Thanks for the link to the midi kill switch, might be the best rout for me to take.
Taffy94

Postby CountFosco » 23 Feb 2019, 16:30

I guess you mean you want to add a synth module and use the E5 keyboard to play it, and if so there are a lot of midi-er experts here than me to help you out. But perhaps it's worth considering adding a keyboard synth on top of the Electro. I find a second keyboard is quite handy - I'm often playing both at the same time. And depending on your synth requirements, you could get away with a 3 or 4 octave keyboard, which tend to be pretty lightweight and unassuming.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Return to Nord Electro Forum