How do you organize your Gigs/Songs/Programs on NS3

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
paul42
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: How do you organize your Gigs/Songs/Programs on NS3

Post by paul42 »

Thank you for all your good ideas. I am still working/thinking about the best concept. Below is an example drawing based on the proposal 1.
from my first post. It is inline with Clavia naming and most used here. The blue parts are not saved and not visible on the NS3. The black are the NS3 displays.
MyNordMind1.png
MyNordMind1.png (60.19 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

The issues I have with this concept are:
1. For each Song and its part I need to have a separate Program (to avoid changing other Songs eventually connected, like with transpose, see the red link above)
2. There isn't possibility to add the Gig name to the Song. So it is not possible to sort the Songs according Gigs.

My way to go:
For the point 1 above, I think I need to live with, there isn't work around.
For the point 2, to somehow distinguish between the Gigs I will use a new Song bank for each Gig list.
There are 8 Song banks, so I will have maximum 8 Gigs inside.

Proposal for Clavia:
For point 1: Introduce a sort of global parameters for Songs. I think the Transpose and maybe Volume are the candidates.
This Song parameter then would influence all linked Programs.
For point 2: A cheap solution would be an additional attribute (e.g. 'Gig' ) for Songs in the Sound Manager.
More expensive solution is to add the 'Gig' layer to the NS3 firmware.
Last edited by paul42 on 21 Feb 2019, 15:23, edited 4 times in total.
paul42

Post by paul42 »

Hi ericL, the template is a good idea, I will reuse it.
paul42

Post by paul42 »

Below is an example drawing based on the proposal 2., I posted in my first posting above.
The black are the NS3 displays.
MyNordMind2.png
MyNordMind2.png (46.46 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
The issues I have with this concept are:
1. At the SONG display level - the 'Gig' names are used instead of the song names (is not according Clavia concept)
That means, I see in the SONG display e.g. :
SONG 1:01
Christmas-0
Let It be - 0

SONG 1:01
Christmas-0
Let It be - 1

SONG 1:02
Christmas-1
Shallow

The good things:
- I have the 'Gig' name together with 'Song' name in the SONG NS3 display
- I can sort my songs based on the 'Gig' name
- I see on the PROGRAM display all important information:
- Song name
- Selected Piano
- Selected Organ
- Selected Synth
- I can simpler change the TRANSPOSE for each Program part.

Somehow I have a feeling (even this is not Clavia intention) that this is for me a better song organisation as the original.
Or do I overlooked same no go point?
I think I need to test more examples that I get better experience.
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Post by kbrkr »

My workflow is very different. I don't setup the NS3C with the Setlists, I setup my iPad with the setlists and then trigger the NS3C with midi to select the correct patch using presets on the iPad using Forscore. I setup a lead sheet for each song and attach a midi preset and also an MP3 which I use to practice the song. As a backup, I also annotate the lead sheet with the Nord patch number so that if the midi system fails, I can quickly get to the patch.

Before the gig, I sequence the lead sheets in setlist order from my "inventory" of lead sheets.

During the gig, I simply move from lead sheet to lead sheet in sequence and it automatically setup my keyboards with the correct program. For lead sheets/songs which need multple presets for solos, chorus, endings, intro, etc., I can use Forscore to setup a button on the lead sheet which I label and assign to a preset. So during the song, I simply touch the ipad screen button to select the proper programs.

This process has revolutionized my workflow and I can concentrate on the Entertainment / Vocal part of the performance and not the fumbling around setting up keyboards.

Check it out.
ChiefDanG

Post by ChiefDanG »

I rely on SetListMaker. Call up a tune in SLM, it sends PC info to call up songs on my NS3 - the NS3 sends PC to my PX5s. Also have another database in SLM for the Nord by its lonesome.
Just hafta put songs in order of play in SLM before a gig - 5 minutes. SLM can display PDFs, or your own notes. I have several songs that have sheet music type of displays - melodies/chords - done in Muscore and saved as a PDF.
Easy peasy.
Tgc00000

Post by Tgc00000 »

Ive had my NS3C for about 3 months, I use a hybrid approach. I have about 10 basic Programs that cover the vast majority of the patches I need for my gigs. These are my personalized “Programs.” I store these in M11-M25. These are things like My B3, My EP, My Bright Piano, My B3+Piano, My Grand Piano. For songs I play that require more than 1 program per song (e.g., Can’t You See = flute, Piano, B3), then I set these up as “Songs” with Parts 1-5 and I name and organize them alphabetically. In a typical 40 song night, I’m using my M Programs for about 30 songs and the other 10 are in my “Song” files. So in the course of a whole gig I’m only scrolling my “M” Programs or a pretty short alphabetical Song list. I also write the program # or Song Name reference on my handwritten set list, but could do it mostly from memory.
These users thanked the author Tgc00000 for the post:
kbmatson
kbmatson

Post by kbmatson »

Tgc00000 wrote:Ive had my NS3C for about 3 months, I use a hybrid approach. I have about 10 basic Programs that cover the vast majority of the patches I need for my gigs. These are my personalized “Programs.” I store these in M11-M25. These are things like My B3, My EP, My Bright Piano, My B3+Piano, My Grand Piano. For songs I play that require more than 1 program per song (e.g., Can’t You See = flute, Piano, B3), then I set these up as “Songs” with Parts 1-5 and I name and organize them alphabetically. In a typical 40 song night, I’m using my M Programs for about 30 songs and the other 10 are in my “Song” files. So in the course of a whole gig I’m only scrolling my “M” Programs or a pretty short alphabetical Song list. I also write the program # or Song Name reference on my handwritten set list, but could do it mostly from memory.
My approach is similar. I use the first few songs for what I call my "Primary" sounds - piano, organ, rhodes, wurly, clav piano/organ split, etc. etc. etc. Honestly - this takes care of 75%+ of our set list - and in fact, one piano patch and one organ patch take care of 50% of it.

Next I use the next couple songs for "single patch" songs - that is songs that need specific sounds/patches but only one for the whole tune. I name the programs the name of the song in that case. Lastly - I have just a few songs that need multiple patches. I just name the song after the song (that sounds funny huh? LOL) and put whatever patches I need in it.

I don't need a cheat sheet or to organize anything beyond that for the "set list" - it changes order every gig anyway. I just know more or less where all the patches are, and can find them in a few seconds if I don't remember exactly.
These users thanked the author kbmatson for the post:
Tgc00000
kbmatson

Post by kbmatson »

What would make all this much better/easier for me is if in the Sound Manager, I could drag programs in and out of the song and also rearrange programs within a song by dragging.
Tgc00000

Post by Tgc00000 »

Ah yes, “drag and drop.” That elusive feature - perfected in 1995 and still not used in most applications. [sarcasm]
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Post by 23skidoo »

I'd argue it was perfected in 1984, when the first Mac was announced, but hey, I'd be off topic!

On topic, I organize by sound category since I don't gig in a cover band. All my pianos are in order of my personal preference which changes as often as I feel like it, followed by less-piano like keyboards in autobiographical order, followed by a stack of layered piano/EP stuff, followed by organs leading into pads leading into synth leading into brass. The rest of the orchestra follows and I end with stuff I either can't categorize (FX, etc) or stuff I'm currently working on and am not sure what direction it'll go yet.