Comments, suggestions, questions about this forum? Post it here! Also for test purposes or Off-Topic discussions.

OT: Android sight reading app "Notegrinder", free beta

Postby offrhodes » 15 Feb 2019, 12:13

Hi all,

I'm developing an Android app for sight reading training. Initially for my own use, I decided to publish it "officially" via Play Store.
It includes ads (doh!) but I'm offering the ad-free beta version to Nord users, as soon as a Nord USB keyboard is detected.

Newer Android devices support USB-MIDI through the same adapter cable used e.g. for connecting a regular USB stick.

There are tons of similar apps out there. What sets this one apart is that it was designed from ground up for "small screens & old eyes": Set side-scrolling mode and it scales up to 1-inch notes on a tablet in portrait orientation.
"Big" doesn't mean "easy", there are a few four-voice Fugues from Bach's WTC I included but maybe the Preludes and some easier items from the "Anna Magdalena notebook" are more approachable. This for example is something I'd like to hear about from other users.

The novel feature (which you can turn off if you don't like it) is the "grind-o-meter" which tracks and shows the playing level of every note in the score. The idea is to visualize progress (both short- and long term) even through those "tough" phases where it feels like all the time spent at the piano is getting me nowhere.

If interested, you're welcome to try, download here (Google Play Store).

Feedback is appreciated :)

Screenshots: Side-scrolling mode...
Screenshot_20190213-223724.jpg
large side-scrolling mode
Screenshot_20190213-223724.jpg (324.64 KiB) Viewed 1388 times

... and paged:
Screenshot_20190213-223904.jpg
paged mode
Screenshot_20190213-223904.jpg (606.28 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Last edited by offrhodes on 15 Feb 2019, 21:10, edited 6 times in total.
And I was worried - all the way down to the ground
When it comes to holding safety nets
Nobody seems to be around

The author offrhodes was thanked by:
baekgaard
offrhodes

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

OT: Android sight reading app "Notegrinder", free beta

Sponsor

Return to Off Topic / About this Forum