Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Enhanced EP's and EP filters

Postby ogunter » 11 Feb 2019, 12:57

I own an Electro 4 and Electro 2. I am considering upgrading to Electro 6 for a number of the obvious reasons, splits, layers, etc.
I have become less happy with the EP sounds of the Electro as they are. So I have hesitated with new purchase.
I am wondering if anyone could advise as to how the Enchanced EP's and EP filters improve the overall sound of the EP's.
Thank you.
ogunter

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Enhanced EP's and EP filters

Sponsor

Re: Enhanced EP's and EP filters

Postby baekgaard » 11 Feb 2019, 13:26

They improve the EPs considerably, I'd say. The filters add a lot of (easy) versatility to each of the EPs. So you have instant access to 8 pianos, plain or with any of the 5 matching filters, giving you almost two-button access to 48 different sounds to start out with before you dig into the EQ, amp sim, overdrive and effects.

The character you know from the previous samples is still roughly there, but the EPs come more to life and are more fun to play. I usually don't have problems finding a suitable EP to whatever I need (and I can often come up with more than one idea that would match).

What is added is better handling/control of the initial attack/bell, there may be more or better adjusted velocity samples and less stretching, in some cases more "bark" when you need it, and the release part is more noticeable and adds to the realism. And then the filters of course helps to adjust. And no, the plain EQ cannot make up for the Dyno settings -- you may get close to the soft, mid and bright settings with EQ, but not the Dyno.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
cphollis
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ogunter » 11 Feb 2019, 13:33

That is a really incisive answer. It helps. Thank you. The 'bark' has been missing for me, particularly on
the Electro 4. I also have had a hard time getting the bell sound that I have wanted. It it sounds like the new enhancements and filters are just what I've been looking for.
ogunter

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby daniel70 » 11 Feb 2019, 16:25

From my own experience with the ep‘s and the enhanced versions and filters, i say clearly: If you don‘t like the Nord ep’s as they are, you will also not like them enhanced or with the new filters. These are not new ep’s!
Last edited by daniel70 on 11 Feb 2019, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

The author daniel70 was thanked by:
bluesbaba
daniel70

Postby Bjosko » 11 Feb 2019, 16:33

They are still missing bark, compared to other samples out there.
I guess they was afraid of breaking a tine when they sampled it ( I had a Rhodes back in the days and played the heck out of it, but never broke a tine. My old Wurly was another stories, there I was a mastering in soldering and replacing reeds) :D
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
bluesbaba
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby bluesbaba » 11 Feb 2019, 19:45

In the past you where more physicaly involved with your equipment!!
bluesbaba

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby baekgaard » 11 Feb 2019, 21:43

Bjosko wrote:They are still missing bark, compared to other samples out there.
I guess they was afraid of breaking a tine when they sampled it ( I had a Rhodes back in the days and played the heck out of it, but never broke a tine. My old Wurly was another stories, there I was a mastering in soldering and replacing reeds) :D

Could be -- is a bit painful to replace tines, I guess :-) I also never managed to break a tine on mine (but I had to tune and adjust it relatively frequently). Maybe I was also just lucky!

There is a difference between the samples in terms of how much bark there is; some has almost nothing (EP1) and some more (e.g. EP2, EP3, ... especially in the lower range). I agree that they generally tend to be on the less bark'y side in the middle-C and above range, but a combination of KBD TOUCH and a small amount of DRIVE usually works fine for me when needed.

In any case, I still like the new EPs and filters much more than the old ones; as I said, they still have similar characters, obviously, but they are much more fun to play.

YMMV.
baekgaard

Postby Bjosko » 12 Feb 2019, 03:16

baekgaard wrote:
Could be -- is a bit painful to replace tines, I guess :-)

Guess so :lol:
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby NordPH » 13 Feb 2019, 08:52

bluesbaba wrote:In the past you where more physicaly involved with your equipment!!

Yeah, i remember carrying a Rhodes MK1 by myself up two stairs in pure muscle anger when my band mates didn´t want to help :D
NordPH
Patch Creator

Postby baekgaard » 13 Feb 2019, 12:19

NordPH wrote:
bluesbaba wrote:In the past you where more physicaly involved with your equipment!!

Yeah, i remember carrying a Rhodes MK1 by myself up two stairs in pure muscle anger when my band mates didn´t want to help :D

Been there too dragging gear -- had a Suitcase Mk1, so two heavy and unwieldy parts to drag around, even when two people shared the load :roll:
baekgaard

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum