All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Nord Triple Pedal: MIDI Events for Half-Pedaling, noise, etc

Postby Somnambule » 08 Feb 2019, 04:43

I own a Nord Stage 2 HA88, and after downloading the Royal Grand 3D sample, I feel compelled to buy the Nord Triple Pedal to make the most out of my playing of this beautiful sample. I use Digital Performer to record my piano tracks using MIDI, and then after some note editing, I record and bounce the audio to wave files.

My question: can all the features of the Nord Triple Pedal be recorded as MIDI events, including half-pedaling, soft pedal, sostenuto and pedal noise? In other words, will all this still work when the DAW takes control of the playing of the Nord Stage 2? Or do I have to physically use the Triple Pedal "live" for all this to work?

I spent quite some time on this forum looking for a clear and definitive answer, but haven’t found one. This will impact my decision to buy the Nord Triple Pedal.

Thank you very much, any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by Somnambule on 08 Feb 2019, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambule

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Nord Triple Pedal: MIDI Events for Half-Pedaling, noise, etc

Sponsor

Re: Nord Triple Pedal: MIDI Events for Half-Pedaling, noise,

Postby maxpiano » 08 Feb 2019, 13:23

Hi, the NS with Triple Pedal just generates the usual MIDI CCs associated to Sustain (64 - continuous), Sostenuto (66 - on/off) and Soft (67 - on/off), they can be recorded and played back by any DAW.

For a complete list of MIDI CCs read the related appendix in the NS manual
Last edited by maxpiano on 08 Feb 2019, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Somnambule
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Somnambule » 08 Feb 2019, 15:25

Thank you maxpiano!

So am I to understand that in saying "Sustain (64 - continuous)," the term "continuous" would imply that the DAW will pickup and be able to playback the half-pedaling, as opposed to only on/off?

Also, is it confirmed that the pedal noise will remain even when playing from the DAW? I ask this because Nord makes it clear that you really need the Nord Triple Pedal to activate the pedal noise on the NS2. Which makes me wonder if it will work when playing back from the DAW, or if I really need to physically press on the pedal when I want the noises. Or I guess maybe it would work as long as the Triple Pedal is plugged in the NS2 when playing back from the DAW...

When I have confirmation on 2 those two points, I will proceed with the purchase of the pedal.

Thanks again!
Somnambule

Postby MattyRds95 » 09 Jun 2023, 20:02

Hi. Did you manage to find out if this is possible?

Thanks, Matt
MattyRds95

Postby FZiegler » 09 Jun 2023, 23:16

There are some points I'm not sure about.

What I'm very confident about is that there isn't such thing as a pedal noise MIDI event. I'm sure it's just something that's derived internally from the sustain pedal hitting (pedal velocity). No idea if software pianos would replicate that.

Half sustain pedalling should work -- probably not in a continuous way but with (3/4) distinct intermediate values. Haven't tested that, though.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Nordlicht » 10 Jun 2023, 10:39

Somnambule wrote:So am I to understand that in saying "Sustain (64 - continuous)," the term "continuous" would imply that the DAW will pickup and be able to playback the half-pedaling, as opposed to only on/off?
Also, is it confirmed that the pedal noise will remain even when playing from the DAW? I ask this because Nord makes it clear that you really need the Nord Triple Pedal to activate the pedal noise on the NS2. Which makes me wonder if it will work when playing back from the DAW, or if I really need to physically press on the pedal when I want the noises. Or I guess maybe it would work as long as the Triple Pedal is plugged in the NS2 when playing back from the DAW...

I've just tested it on my NP5:
- The DAW is recording continuous sustain pedal information and provides of course a correct playback of the recorded notes/track.
- When a Triple Pedal is connected also pedal noise is recorded together with the sustain pedal data in the DAW (but of course not as separate data). When playing back the track, pedal noise is active - even when the pedal is physically plugged out!
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Nordlicht
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby technlgyst » 24 Mar 2024, 20:33

FZiegler wrote:What I'm very confident about is that there isn't such thing as a pedal noise MIDI event. I'm sure it's just something that's derived internally from the sustain pedal hitting (pedal velocity).

That is correct. I have reverse-engineered the algorithm that Nord uses to trigger the various stages of the pedal noise when pressing (or stomping) the sustain pedal of the NTP. I have created an app that connects to your Nord over MIDI which allows you to use a switch-type sustain pedal but still get pedal noises. Check it out in the topic I created for this.
Last edited by Berretje on 25 Mar 2024, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamic Pedal Noise without Triple Pedal: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _noise_pro
technlgyst

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Return to Accessories and Amplification