Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Which Keyboard fits best for Reggae?

Postby Groundation » 01 Feb 2019, 16:40

Hi Folk

I'm origin german speaking.. so if you speak german you would be nice if you answer in german :-)

Now my question. Since 1 year I Play in a Reggae Band. We have a lot of fun and are progressing well. I have two very old Keyboards and at least i want to Switch one of them into a new one. Because there are less and less physical stores where I can try them and get some answers to my questions I ask here for your advice.

My Budget is up to 3500 Euro or 4000 Dollars at highest. The Keyboard Needs to be good with Piano, E-Piano and Organ Sounds.. also the Clavinet or similar sounds are nice to have. On top we also Play a lot of Dub. So some effects, hall, delay wold be necessary too. What do you think would be a good solution for me to Play with the Band also live on stage.

Thanks a lot for your recommandations!
Marco
Groundation

Which Keyboard fits best for Reggae?

Sponsor

Re: Which Keyboard fits best for Reggae?

Postby Schorsch » 01 Feb 2019, 17:22

Hi Marco,

Nord Stage 3 would be the best option from my point of view. If your primary focus is Piano I would go for the Nord Stage 3-88, if it's primarily organ and synthe sound and just a few piano sounds the Nord Stage 3 Compact would be the best choice. The third one, Nord Stage 3 HP 76, is a somewhat compromise between both if Pianos and Organs are equally important and if the weight of the 88 model is too much.

(In Deutsch: ich denke dass der Nord Stage 3 die beste Wahl aus dem Angebot von Nord für deine Zwecke ist. Wenn die primär Pianos wichtig sind dann wäre der Nord Stage 3 88 das beste Modell, wenn es eher um Orgeln und evtl. Synth-Sounds geht dann wäre der Nord Stage 3 Compact passend. Das dritte Modell, Nord Stage 3 HP 76, ist ein gewisser Kompromiss zwischen beiden wenn soeohl Pinao als auch Orgeln gleich wichtig sind oder das Gewicht des 88er Modells zu hoch ist).

Best regards, Georg
Last edited by Schorsch on 01 Feb 2019, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 01 Feb 2019, 19:39

You could go for a used Nord Electro 5 and a Boss RE-20 Space Echo...
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Spider » 01 Feb 2019, 20:22

I think for reggae a full synth section is not essential, an Electro is probably more than enough. If you ever need synth sounds, you will probably find samples of them, that you can then load in the sample section.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Groundation » 02 Feb 2019, 03:25

Thanks for your advices.. as I wrote we play some Dub to. There I need also synth sounds or effects. The Nordstage 3 is the King of all of them and I will think about it. But I will also Check the Electro 5. Interesting is the thinking about the size. Until know I had only compact Keyboards and of course a 88 seems very cool to have. But in a way I think i'm not that good player to get out full of benefit to have a 88 :D

thanks again!
Groundation

Postby MvanD » 03 Feb 2019, 15:11

I think an Electro 5 or 6 will do the job. It has onboard delay and reverb. And good organs/pianos.
It also has limitations. The delay can be assigned to a part, but the reverb will be on all sounds.
The Electro has only 1 sample engine, so you can't combine two samples. If you want to use more than one sampled sound, you will have to make a split sample yourself.
MvanD
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby pablomastodon » 06 Feb 2019, 05:33

I've been playing reggae in and out of Jamaica since 1985. The Stage 3 (or Stage 2/2EX) is your BEST option, no contest whatsoever. Because it is available in SW73 organ action, you can get excellent portability with AWESOME flexibility.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum