General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: My Intensifying Love Affair With My Stage 3

Postby mthomashow » 12 Jan 2019, 22:00

This is my first post on this forum although I've been following it for a long time. But I can't resist adding to the lovefest chorus. I've also had my share of keyboards over the years and the Nord Stage Compact 3 is by far the best. The sounds are magnificent. And it's so easy to experiment with them. Even if you know very little about synthesis, you can spend hours just blending the samples with the pianos, clarinets, and organs...or just experimenting with the various synth sounds. I think the acoustic samples are excellent and vastly underrated. They can all be modified, tweaked, and otherwise mangled. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the keyboard action. I was concerned that I'd find it challenging for acoustic piano, but that hasn't been the case. I won't be playing any recitals with it, but for basic piano playing, its very easy to adjust to the action so that its comfortable for your needs. And, yes, the weight is so manageable. I'm pushing 70 and after years of hiking and basketball, I've got quite a few aches and pains. Moving the Compact is absolutely reasonable.
Sometimes, I combine the Stage 3 with Omnisphere, and I also have a Nord A1. Yet I find that most of the time, the Stage 3 is all I need because it allows me to do what's most important....explore and play!

The author mthomashow was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikaemmrecs
mthomashow

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby NordPH » 12 Jan 2019, 22:09

Yeah, this is why Nord is the only board that gets me where i wanna go and sounds the way i want without being cheesy.
NordPH
Patch Creator

Postby 1000Keys » 17 Jan 2019, 18:48

Got my NS3 in October 2018 (as @KBMatson did), and I can only agree with what he said. The new EPs / filters are great. I got used to the keybed / action over time. I started exploring the sounds and to make them mine (as this is what the Stage demands and at the same time makes possible like no other instrument I have played so far). The latest OS updates were really great (and quite frequently coming up), so: Great job, thanks to the team at Clavia!

Just an additional remark: I read several tests from keyboard mags and on internet sites before ordering this wonderful instrument. And I think I might not have ordered it, if I did not already have faith in the Nord series (being an NE3 owner who still likes that one very much). As there is a new main OS version out now, with some really important improvements and bugfixes -> perhaps some of the reviews should be updated as they no longer do the current instrument justice, with cons like "pitch bend only +/-2 semi tones, OS bugs etc., sound/program navigation, limited audio routing options etc..

Cheers!
--
NS3 88, NE3 73
1000Keys

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby stringtapper » 17 Jan 2019, 22:29

+1 on the love affair.

My NS3C is the only piece of electronic gear I own that has ever given me the same kind of feelings of affection that my basses (and guitars, and Chapman Sticks, etc.) do.
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12
stringtapper

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby jtubaugh » 17 Jan 2019, 23:44

I just had to chime in on this. I agree with everything that's been said.

I too almost returned my NS3 76, but in my case it was the next day. I had spend a few hours going through all of the stock sounds (pianos, samples, organ, synth). I loved the pianos; definitely no issue there. Initially I felt the organ was ok. But I tended to like my Hammond SK1 a little more. The synth sounds were cool and most of the samples were okay. I was looking for specific sounds that I've used for years (strings, brass, pianos, etc.) Except for the pianos, I really didn't find much that was impressive or that I didn't already have programmed on another board. At least not initially.

Honestly, I was used to the more "out-of-the-box" usability I had gotten used to with my other boards. At first I thought about returning it. Really glad (I mean REALLY glad) I did not return it.

The NS3 is more of a keyboardist's tool, than it is just a keyboard. And there is a quantum difference between the two. It's a wide open system that allows you to tweak and craft your sound just the way you want it, or add to it via samples. And when you do want to hook up another keyboard as I often do just to fatten the sound a little, the extern section works very well (at least in my case it does).

So if you're going to plunk down the $$$$ for a board like this, you really need to be willing and able to spend the time (and I mean hours) with it. Otherwise, just buy a less expensive out-of-the-box board.

Sure, there may be some frustrations as the software bugs are worked through. IMO that's a small trade off when compared to the value of this board. And it's up to us as Nord NS3 owners to be diligent in backing stuff up and not applying updates the day before a gig.

So :thumbup: to the folk at Clavia! And congratulations to the ever-growing family of Nord musicians!

And @stringtapper, I hear ya! I've even named mine - Ginger! :lol:

The author jtubaugh was thanked by 2 members, including:
stringtapperst2ex
jtubaugh

Postby GeeDeWee » 18 Jan 2019, 10:38

I've been a Nord user since 2011. First I replaced my Roland RD-500 for a Nord Piano 88 (the first), and kept my Roland XP-30 on top. In 2014 I replaced both for a Stage 2 HA88 and a 'synth-action' MIDI controller (Roland A-37) on top. A few weeks ago, I changed my Stage 2 HA88 for a Stage 3 HA88.

When I switched to the Stage 2 at first I struggled getting the sounds I wanted fast. It took quite some time to get to know the synth section, as I was used to dial up a preset from the Roland XP-30 that sounded nice instantly.
At least it sounded nice 'stand alone'. Within the mix of a band, it was worse and it took a headache to tweak those presets (menu's, etc.).

Once I took the time to get to know my Stage 2, I fell in love with it. You need your creativity and ears to create the sound you want.
I agree with stringtapper. It more like an instrument, just as a guitar is for a guitarist. Those other boards I owned seem more 'replaceable' for every other 'preset-box'.
It's because of that I felt comfortable to replace my Stage 2 for a Stage 3, as I expected the same kind of growing love affair. And I was right :-).

Very happy with my Nord.
For those who don't have experience with the Nord Stage-series and are used to the way many Roland's and Korg's work:
If you are willing to put some time in it, you will not want to go back to those other brands (at least I won't).
GeeDeWee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby robbieuswain » 18 Jan 2019, 13:02

Great subject - my love affair started some time in 2012 when I started playing in a Band again. Not yet into Computer music (except for sequencing), I always used romplers (Roland D-10 was my first one, followed by JV and then XP80 with rack modules and lot's of soundcards … going over a Korg Triton and Yamaha Motif). So then I wanted to go back to basics (originally piano player) and ran into Miss Red :-) Nord Stage EX88 so it was love at the first sight ! Good Piano - nice hammond - great synth - good playable keys knowing it is a compromise. Next was the NS2 and then … I was one of the first owners of a brand new NS388 and wow … although, I am know also into computer music and after a while I was putting too much focus on the piano samples … and disappointed hearing a very audible loop (there are some posts about it) and sold the board ... stupid decision and impulsive reaction 'cause in the meantime the band had stopped performing so no immediate need for a gigging board. Bought a Roland fp-30 (nice price/quality) and guess what ? Gone and replaced it with a Nord Stage 3 88 :-) and glad to have her back !

Long story in short :

Not cheap but you know what you pay for : Quality ! Not only the "instrument" and used materials but also the fact it is built in Europe and the company spirit and great support you get when in trouble. And of course Hardware and Firmware updates and new releases and so on (no I don't work for CLAVIA NORD).
robbieuswain

Postby Sunlight2 » 26 Jan 2019, 17:41

Hi all, just registered with the forum after reading this thread. I'm really interested in the Stage 3 Compact and wanted your thoughts on this:

I already have an Electro 5D which provides my bottom piano/organ and some basic pads/synths. On top I've got a Roland Juno DS which does the heavy lifting on synth sounds. It also has useful touch pads which can trigger sequences/samples, and the ability to load in one SRX card for free - I chose the strings which are great.

What are your thoughts on what the Stage would add to this rig, outside the obvious of it all being one board? I tend to prefer the flexibility of having two boards. Do you think sonically the synth engine is way ahead of the DS, if you've played them both?

Thanks in advance!
Sunlight2

Postby cphollis » 26 Jan 2019, 19:50

If you're keeping the DS and the E5D, my answer would be "not too much". Most of the Stage 3's palette of sounds is available through your E5D, except for native synth which you say the DS does well for you.

On positive note, one thing you get with the Stage 3 is simplicity and control.

Even though I bring a second weighted action, all sounds are controlled directly from the Stage 3 front panel via song mode. Setup is easy as well, just a pair of 1/4" cables directly to the mixer, nothing external. I'm now in three different bands, each with weekly revisions to set lists, so very handy and tidy. And some great sounds as well.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby ajstan » 26 Jan 2019, 20:02

Welcome @Sunlight2! I have an NS3-88 which I use as a single-board solution for gigging. The HA keybed works for me for piano and organ/synth, and having 88 keys gives me room to do 3-way splits (the NS3 can do 4-way). A few months ago, I got a Juno-DS61 to take with me while traveling to practice, but I’m thinking of incorporating it into my live rig.

You didn’t mention which keybeds you have. If I’m going to use more than one board, I prefer to have a mix of hammer action and synth action.

I still have a lot to learn, but was able to get competent rather quickly with the NS3 synth engine in dialing in the sounds I wanted. The Juno-DS has the advantage of velocity-switching samples in its programs and the basic Roland sound library as a starting point, but I haven’t even tried to program it yet. I think the two boards are very complementary sound-wise with not a lot of overlap. I’ve gotten comfortable with the synth action on the DS61 so it’s not an issue for me.

Adding an NS3 Compact would get you additional piano and sample memory, access to the new EP samples and filters, two full panels of Piano/Synth/Organ with independent effects for each panel, the upgraded synth engine and organ engine, 4-way splits, morph controls, aftertouch, and a pitch stick.

You need to decide what’s best for the music you play, your budget, and the schlep factor you’re willing to take on, but an option could be to sell the Electro and get an NS3 Compact if you have a DS88 (or don’t care about an HA keybed) or get an NS3-88 if you want to add HA to a DS61 or DS76.

That being said, you already have a really nice rig with the Electro and the Juno-DS so just keeping what I have would be my first option - unless there’s a compelling reason to upgrade, of course. :-)
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum