Winter NAMM 2019 Can we expect any new Synth/s from Clavia ?

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Re: Winter NAMM 2019 Can we expect any new Synth/s from Clav

Post by 23skidoo »

With the success of the Stage 3 I think many manufacturers are going to try to gun for this market a little more strongly - their huge ponderous workstations probably aren't selling as well as they used to be with people downsizing their home studios and gigging musicians opting for Nords and other lighter weight, more inexpensive boards that are approaching the workstations in flexibility, programmability, and sound quality.

One thing I've noticed is the emphasis in advertising has shifted towards live performance again in the keyboard world - it's always had that as a focus, but there was a large swath of the 90's up to now that really was driving hard on the workstations, studio queens, and other "luxury" boards. I'm not sure exactly who triggered the new emphasis on portability and improvisation in the keyboard market, but now that Korg et al have jumped wholeheartedly back into the game with small and playable synths, Roland's been inspired to step away from their stodgy stuff and market not just to a younger audience but to an audience who wants to "play" the instrument and not just the notes, these are big shifts in the past, what, 5 years or so really? Now that's all I see - ads for performance synths, stage pianos/keys, things designed to be played as a whole and not preset-jumped between labouriously designed sounds from the studio. This, to me, is a very good thing. I'd love to see more live music everywhere, more new music from small local bands, a revival in the scene and not just the tour. If more affordable and powerful stage keyboards and VA synths can contribute to this, I'm all for it.
Muziksculp
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by Muziksculp »

Sadly, Clavia has not hinted that we can expect a new Nord Synth this Winter NAMM :thumbdown: :roll:

Why Clavia ? Why Not ? Please answer.

On the other hand, they announce red monitors for their Nord Piano :wtf:

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/ ... no-monitor
CountFosco
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by CountFosco »

Dude, you have an A1 and a 4. What the actual proverbial is wrong with the synths you have? I can't think of a noise that you couldn't already make.
Duplobaustein
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Post by Duplobaustein »

Oh, there is a lot those two can't do.
skipgilles
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by skipgilles »

Haha, I so much agree with Count Fosco. I mean, of course, there are sounds that you cannot produce with the lead A1 or lead 4. Luckily, there are hundreds of other synths. For example, I recently bought a Prophet rev2 next to my A1, because it really brings something different. (by the way, concerning the user interface, I wished this rev2 was made by Nord. You only see how intuitive the Nord interfaces are once you experience other interfaces)

I really wonder what those who always demand new Nords actually want. I am tempted to think that it is just an urge for a new version of the same thing, like the new iPhone is for many people.

What I advice those longing so badly for a new instruments that it becomes stressful: play your current instrument more often, more deeply, try stuff you never tried. There is already a range of new sounds in front of you, you just didn't discover them yet.
Duplobaustein
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Post by Duplobaustein »

skipgilles wrote:Haha, I so much agree with Count Fosco. I mean, of course, there are sounds that you cannot produce with the lead A1 or lead 4. Luckily, there are hundreds of other synths. For example, I recently bought a Prophet rev2 next to my A1, because it really brings something different. (by the way, concerning the user interface, I wished this rev2 was made by Nord. You only see how intuitive the Nord interfaces are once you experience other interfaces)

I really wonder what those who always demand new Nords actually want. I am tempted to think that it is just an urge for a new version of the same thing, like the new iPhone is for many people.

What I advice those longing so badly for a new instruments that it becomes stressful: play your current instrument more often, more deeply, try stuff you never tried. There is already a range of new sounds in front of you, you just didn't discover them yet.
You know what? You can do that and STILL want new and better boards. The one doesn't exclude the other…
Muziksculp
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Post by Muziksculp »

There is a need for new synth products all the time, look how many models other companies release each year, this is nothing new, both for hardware, and software. Clavia is no exception, and if they decided to stop developing synths then that's a different story, but if they are still in the game of developing and making synthesizers, they are expected to keep up with the times, and evolve. I'm surely not expecting something out of the norm, but quite the opposite, their stagnation, for such a long time by not releasing a new Nord Synth. after the NL4, and NLA1, is not making them more popular.

Both NL4, and NLA1 are great synths, but why not offer a new and complementing new Synth ? Maybe with a better display, different Synthesis engine, and effects, ...etc.

The simple fact is Clavia seems to be focusing mostly on electric pianos, and moving away from developing new Synths. Which is very sad.
Last edited by Muziksculp on 23 Jan 2019, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
23skidoo

Post by 23skidoo »

Clavia has indicated the Lead series is both a labour of love (e.g. not their main money maker) and a dedicated passion (e.g. something they will continue to improve and keep current) of theirs, something "close to their heart" if I remember the quote correctly. As a result, even though the updates may be further apart than you like, rest assured they've made it quite clear they will always continue to work on the Lead series. Right now we're no further apart than any of the other Lead releases have been, historically speaking. If Clavia doesn't announce a new Lead at NAMM, they may well announce one later this year or up until next NAMM and not really be out of synch with their past cycles.

I agree it would be very good to see them putting out an update as evidence that they aren't letting the line lag too far behind, and I agree that it would be nice if they kept them current just because we all like new shiny toys, but to say that the world is ending if they don't release a new Lead NOW at THIS NAMM is a little premature.
kbmatson

Post by kbmatson »

I'd like to see a unit that was effectively the best of Lead 4 and A1 + Stage synth section. Some features to name a few:
- 4 panels/4-part multitimbral
- std wave forms + wavetables + all the other good stuff in the S3 INCLUDING SAMPLES/SAMPLING!
- real ADSR - and more of them - assignable
- more LFOs and more assignable
- more advanced arpeggiator/ step sequencer
- vocoder --- why not?
- AND LOSE THE FREAKIN' PITCH STICK THING AND GET A REAL PITCH WHEEL!!!!
Last edited by kbmatson on 24 Jan 2019, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
23skidoo

Post by 23skidoo »

I for one hope Nord never, ever, in the history of ever, loses the pitch stick. It's the best thing for real pitch bends and is a key reason I love their gear. If you want a pitch wheel I beg you to buy another manufacturer's products instead. :-P
These users thanked the author 23skidoo for the post:
Duplobaustein