Share your complete Nord Stage 2 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

Stage 2 – For those new to programming...20+ programs

Postby WannitBBBad » 28 Dec 2018, 19:47

I posted something similar to this for the Stage 3 and thought it might be helpful to post one for the Stage 2. For those of you new to programming, an excellent source of information on synthesizers and the keys to programming is the collection of SOS magazine old articles called Synth Secrets at https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... d-on-sound (thanks for the link Mr_-G-)

One of the best ways to learn the ins and outs of the Stage 2 is to download programs and go through the synth and morph settings to figure out what makes them tick. Prior to selling my Stage 2 EX, I posted quite a few Stage 2 programs that may not be something you’d use playing out, but could learn from if you don’t know how you would recreate it yourself. Below are samples of some of those programs and links to original posts. I use the "morph" function quite a bit with the Control Pedal, it's well worth getting one. I hope you find these helpful. Take care.

My Stage 2 "Utility" Program – I used this a lot but it is also a good starting point for other programs. Slot A has piano, strings, and a Hammond with "drawbars" morphed to the Mod Wheel. Slot B has a left-hand bass, and right-hand piano and strings.
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/my-utility-program-for-the-stage-2-t15752.html
Hammond with Leslie/Tremolo on Wheel, DX7, Bass – Somewhat similar to my “utility” program but this one focused on the Hammond with Leslie and tremolo effect on Mod Wheel. The tremolo makes for a more "pulsing" Leslie sound similar to a closer microphone setup. The MP3 includes holding a chord and turning the tremolo on and off.
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/hammond-with-leslie-tremolo-on-wheel-dx7-bass-t7699.html#p48819
10 Classic Rock and Other Programs (really 11)
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/ten-classic-rock-and-other-programs-t7676.html
From the second page of the post at nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/ten-classic-rock-and-other-programs-t7676-10.html#p100028 Ambrosia – “Biggest Part of Me” – Piano, Hammond, and Synth Brass are progressively used in the song.
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/ambrosia-biggest-part-of-me-free-to-a-good-home-t15716.html
Bruce Springsteen – “Glory Days”
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/bruce-springsteen-glory-days-free-to-a-good-home-t15718.html
Bruce Springsteen – “Dancing In The Dark” - new version posted at:
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/bruce-springsteen-dancing-in-the-dark-t15717.html#p104167

Pedal Steel Patches – Two pedal steel patches for the Stage 2
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/pedal-steel-patches-free-to-a-good-home-t15753.html
James Taylor – “Every Day” – Left-hand pad and right-hand Rhodes with soft analog brass
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/james-taylor-every-day-free-to-a-good-home-t15720.html
Jaw Harp - Juice Harp – Synth-created Jaw Harp with control pedal on wah
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/mouth-harp-jaw-harp-juice-harp-t7771.html#p49346
The Rolling Stones – “Miss You” – Wurlitzer Piano and Blues Harp with FREQ on control pedal to move into LFO range to emulate the hand over the harmonica providing the tremolo.
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/rolling-stones-miss-you-with-blues-harp-t15719.html
The Who – “Baba O’Riley” – Samples provided
nord-stage-2-programs-ns2p-ns2pb-files-f15/baba-o-riley-t2954-10.html
LINK TO STAGE 3 POST WITH OVER 80 PROGRAMS --> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/for-those-new-to-programming-t15748.html
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 17 May 2021, 23:25, edited 9 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 10 members, including:
wollysupermingwoeRusty MikemaxpianoMEL868mbb100BerretjegfullickLeo CastroSpider
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Stage 2 – For those new to programming...20+ programs

Sponsor

Re: Stage 2 – For those new to programming...

Postby MEL868 » 16 Jan 2019, 17:03

Just when I thought this site was getting lame and no new good posts were coming out, WannitBBBad has renewed and washed out my suspicions. I enjoy W’s post soooo much and even as he’s elavated to NS3, he’s continuing to inspire and educate. A true, accomplished person and musician, thank you, so much, for sharing your talents with us!
My skills may be a hack, compared to most, but I appreciate the power of my Nord and do my best to do it the justice it deserves. I play out and exactly what you said above, need good starting programs to learn and tweak sounds.
Thank you, again! Happy New Year!
:keyboard: MEL868
Nord Stage 3 Compact
NS3 SW73

The author MEL868 was thanked by 3 members, including:
SchorschWannitBBBadBerretje
MEL868
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: Stage 2 – For those new to programming...

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Jan 2019, 22:02

Thank you so much for your comments, they are very much appreciated :) Happy New Year as well!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 17 Jan 2019, 02:51, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Re: Stage 2 – For those new to programming...20+ programs

Postby WannitBBBad » 04 Aug 2019, 15:23

For new owners of the Stage 2 or Stage 2 EX. If you are new to the Nord site and searching for a song, sometimes entering a single keyword in the search window can yield nice results and save you a lot of time. Take care

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Skylight
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby kareldejong » 20 Jun 2020, 06:48

Wow, what a nice work of programming!

The author kareldejong was thanked by 2 members, including:
BerretjeWannitBBBad
kareldejong

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby WannitBBBad » 17 May 2021, 22:57

I hope everyone is doing well. It's been quite a while since I've updated this post as I'm no longer a Stage 2 owner, however below are some songs using NSMP samples I recently put together that could easily be covered on the Stage 2. Links to the samples and Stage 3 programs are provided where the file viewer by Florence can be used to put together a similar Stage 2 program if needed. Take care.

Styx - "Too Much Time On My Hands" - A simple one but covering most of the bases, I put together a NSMP sample and Stage 3 program for "Too Much Time On My Hands" by Styx covering the Synth and sound effects. Two links are below, one to the thread on the Stage 3 program with a couple older programs and my latest one used for the MP3, and the other to the Samples Forum to make it available to other Nord users as well. Fun song to do from the 80s.
The sample and more info can be found at LINK--> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/styx-too-much-time-on-my-hands-t20988.html
The Stage 3 program can be found at LINK--> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/styx-too-much-time-on-my-hands-revised-t15873.html#p142510 Van Halen - "Jump" - I put together this sample using a Stage 3 program covering the synth and strings. My work is posted at LINK --> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/van-halen-jump-free-to-a-good-home-t15857-30.html including the NSMP files. This is an example of the NSMP sample covering the synth and strings at the end.Dua Lipa - "Levitating" - Forum member Luked was looking for a program for "Levitating", so I took a shot at simulating the intro chords at first and then decided to simply sample them. Stage 3 programs and samples can be found at LINK --> --> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/levitating-by-dua-lipa-sample-patches-t20703.html#p140667
Van Halen - "When It's Love" - Recently I worked on a Stage 3 program for "When It's Love" by Van Halen to capture the synth along with the "click" at the beginning of notes played (posted at nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/request-vh-when-it-s-love-t20932.html#p142083). Here's a sample of that program adding Reverb and a White Grand only. All notes to the right of the middle C split include the click that has a slap-back echo within the sampled note. The click level can be adjusted up or down somewhat with the EQ if needed, however if you want the level down a little, first try backing off the initial attack slightly by setting the AMP ENV Attack at 1 to 2 if you have that on your Nord. The NSMP sample can be found at LINK --> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/van-halen-when-it-s-love-sample-t20968.html
Whitney Houston - "How Will I Know" - A request from Cosmic1 for this song took me down a path of setting up three Stage 3 programs for the song and then deciding to create an all-encompassing sample. In the attached MP3, I'm playing along with the intro percussion loop and all sounds you hear with the exception of the DX7, and later B3 and Piano reinforcing key change for the solo/ending, are within the single sample created.
Programs with and without Samples--> nord-stage-3-programs-ns3p-ns3pb-files-f32/whitney-houston-how-will-i-know-t20797.html#p142073
Sample, keyboard mapping, and other info --> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/my-first-sound-sample-request-t20889.html#p142072
Toto - "Africa" - Here's my sample covering the beginning of "Africa" and mono synth used in the 2nd verse combining sounds from two of my Stage 3 programs posted at LINK --> post129601.html?hilit=toto#p129601 The sample has the analog brass on the left, kalimba center, and mono synth on the right. On the MP3 I play along with a drum track and combine the sample with the Marimba in the piano section, and then add an example of the mono synth at the end; no effects added except reverb. The NSMP sample is posted at LINK --> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/toto-africa-nsmp-sample-t21007.html#p143864
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 04 Aug 2021, 14:23, edited 2 times in total.

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 4 members, including:
DanielD71ACCORDIONMANBerretjeSchorsch
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 16 Jul 2021, 05:26

Don Henley "Boys of Summer" NSMP Sample. Here's an example of taking multiple Stage 3 programs and combining them into a single NSMP sample for use with other Nord keyboards. To save sample memory space, I also created a smaller NSMP file where you can add your own analog brass sound with your other synth panel. For both samples, a few notes were included to allow transposing down a half step. The link to the NSMP samples and the keyboard mapping is provided below. Take care.

NSMP Samples: LINK--> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/nsmp-for-boys-of-summer-by-don-henley-t21153.html

Attachments
DH_BoysOfSummer_W_Sample_Demo.mp3
(2.69 MiB) Downloaded 827 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 16 Jul 2021, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 2 members, including:
DanielD71PolishPrince
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 27 Jul 2021, 16:16

Cher "Believe" NSMP sample. Similar to the last, here's another example of taking multiple Stage 3 programs and combining them into a single NSMP sample for use with other Nord keyboards including the Stage 2 and having another synth panel to work with. In this sample each note played for the middle synth was sampled as the phase shifter with stereo pan timing needed to be identical - using interpolation would have resulted in individual notes panning slowing or quicker than others. I hope you get some use out of this. Take care
LINK--> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/cher-believe-nsmp-sample-t21261.html

Last edited by WannitBBBad on 28 Jul 2021, 03:06, edited 3 times in total.

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 3 members, including:
DanielD71PolishPrinceBerretje
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 03 Aug 2021, 15:00

Cameo "Word Up" NSMP Sample. With quite a few synth sounds in this song, I took a different approach for this one and did all my programming with the purpose of making the NSMP sample. The "whistle" sound was created using a sine wave in Mono mode with slight vibrato, but the glide to quickly go between the two notes had to be manually changed to be slower for the last glide down when I recorded it. The sample editor provided the fade out. As there was vibrato on two of the synths, I sampled each key played in the song so that the vibrato rate would be the same for each note. Interpolation is great for a lot of sounds but it changes the rate of attack, decay, and other time-related aspects of a sound. The DX7 is the "DX7IIC FineTines_BR mono" sample (available on the Nord site) with overdrive applied. The horns at the end are a combination of "Brass Section Pop 1_BR" and "Brass Ensemble 2_KG". On the MP3 I play along with the sampled drum intro, but the looped drum track is also included for reference in the NSMP sample. No effects are used for the MP3 except reverb. I played around with the levels to get them fairly close for performance but the Amp Velocity on the Stage 2 can be used to provide more flexibility in the levels if needed. The sample and sound mapping across the keyboard can be found at the link below. Take care.

NSMP Sample --> nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/cameo-word-up-nsmp-sample-t21294.html

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
DanielD71
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby ericksonsc » 17 Sep 2021, 04:35

Such a great job man! thanks for sharing!

The author ericksonsc was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
ericksonsc

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Return to Nord Stage 2 Programs (*.ns2p files)