General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 2EX repair clack in the keys

Postby Arturo » 13 Jan 2019, 19:10

Hello everyone,
I’m searching for some advices to repair or maintain my TP 100 keybed of my 2EX, just because they make to much noise when they return and feel really bouncy, also some keys sound a lot when you press them. They really sound a lot.
I think the problem is the use of the instrument, I’m touring so i study and play almost every night with it but i really want to repair it and try to return to the great keybed that it had when I play it for first time, I don’t like anything that awfull sound and I really want again to play really soft dynamics. :keyboard:

https://youtu.be/dkRHHAkQPxc
Last edited by Arturo on 13 Jan 2019, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Arturo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Stage 2EX repair clack in the keys

Sponsor

Re: Stage 2EX repair clack in the keys

Postby Falcon2e » 14 Jan 2019, 03:44

Sorry you are having problems. Have you contacted your Nord dealer? They should be able to help you find a service center.
Falcon2e

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Arturo » 14 Jan 2019, 18:00

Yes, I contact nord in the web page and they don’t give me any response at the moment. And I’m not in my country where I buy it :/
Arturo

Postby 23skidoo » 14 Jan 2019, 18:11

Any local keyboard repair shop with a good reputation who can service a Fatar keybed can provide you an estimate. It's very normal for hard-played Fatar actions to need servicing every few years. Our Fatar-equipped Kurzweil PC88 was in the shop annually for broken keys, bum sensors, dead aftertouch, etc., and the other Fatar keybeds we had saw relatively similar percentages of time in the shop versus time in heavy tour rotation.
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby Bjosko » 14 Jan 2019, 19:29

Could it be as simple as the keys are hitting the top-plate when they return?
If so, an easy fix could be to try to loosen up the screws you can see from the wood end, and then try to bend the top-plate a bit bacward and retighten the screws.
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
Arturo
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Rusty Mike » 14 Jan 2019, 21:07

The sound you hear is kind of a common trait among the HP key action. There is nothing mechanically wrong with your instrument. My conclusion is that it's actually a symptom of some rather poor lubrication. I've been through this twice now.

Here's a link that describes my efforts to disassemble, lubricate and reassemble the HP keybed. I've done it once for my Electro 3HP and again for my Stage 2EX HP. Only needed to do the work once for each instrument, and neither required a follow-up.

https://www.norduserforum.com/general-nord-forum-f29/hp-key-bed-t10058.html
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
Arturo
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Arturo » 15 Jan 2019, 00:17

Bjosko wrote:Could it be as simple as the keys are hitting the top-plate when they return?
If so, an easy fix could be to try to loosen up the screws you can see from the wood end, and then try to bend the top-plate a bit bacward and retighten the screws.

Thank you very much guys, I really glad to read all of this, I hope you can explain me a little bit more because I don’t. Understand so much Bjosko, and I’m really interested in learn to make a great service for my nord. If you can help me will be very incredible. Again, thanks for your time
Arturo

Postby Arturo » 15 Jan 2019, 00:24

Rusty Mike wrote:The sound you hear is kind of a common trait among the HP key action. There is nothing mechanically wrong with your instrument. My conclusion is that it's actually a symptom of some rather poor lubrication. I've been through this twice now.

Here's a link that describes my efforts to disassemble, lubricate and reassemble the HP keybed. I've done it once for my Electro 3HP and again for my Stage 2EX HP. Only needed to do the work once for each instrument, and neither required a follow-up.

https://www.norduserforum.com/general-nord-forum-f29/hp-key-bed-t10058.html

Rusty mike, thank you so much! I’m really thankful! I going to do everything in your post! But I hope you can help me a little bit. Which grase you recommend? And so you recommend me to chainge a piece or felt? I want to give a second air. To my nord keybed because is a incredible keyboard.
I ask this because a week ago a twcnichian check it (not of my trust) and said that change a felt will improve the feeling of my keyboard, but doesn’t change in reality. That’s the reason I want to solve the problem and learn to repair my babe.
Yo do you recommend me to change things to warranty the work? And maybe I have some missing felts, Could you guys can orient me a little bit to refelt it or to know that it’s all fine?
Again thanks, I’m really happy with this community :keyboard:
Arturo

Postby Rusty Mike » 15 Jan 2019, 02:18

I think I listed the lubricant in that post. It’s some sort of o-ring grease.

There is no need to change the felts. All that noise is coming from the unlubricated joints. In addition to the pivot point, there are guides toward the front of the keys (the part closest to you as you play) that the keys sort of slide against. You’ll see it inside each key on the inside when you remove them. These need to be lubricated as well. I also lubricated the back end of they where they rub against the hammer mechanism. Be generous but not sloppy as you apply, and test them each before you finish your reassembly.

Please note that if you are still under warranty you should not do this! I waited until the warranty period was over. You also need to be extremely careful when disconnecting and reconnecting the cables. I actually had to do a small spot solder because I pulled too hard on a connector while taking it apart.

Finally, please remember that there is absolutely no damage to your instrument. It’s just a symptom of the lubrication and you are not making anything worse by playing it.
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
Arturo
Rusty Mike

Postby Rusty Mike » 15 Jan 2019, 02:22

Seems I did not list the lubricant. I think it was Dow Molykote 55.
Rusty Mike

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum