All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Behringer Stereo Backline Amps

Postby john_nick » 13 Jan 2019, 18:32

I'm considering using backline amp instead of relying on small monitor and rest through FOH PA

Anyone had any experience of the following models please?

Ultratone KXD12PA

Ultratone KXD15

K900FX

Any help appreciated.
john_nick

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Behringer Stereo Backline Amps

Sponsor

Re: Behringer Stereo Backline Amps

Postby 23skidoo » 13 Jan 2019, 19:22

I have a strong and vocal dislike of all Behringer products and find their build quality, sound, and levels of noise and distortion personally offensive. You can find much better quality by spending not much more, IMO. But ymmv, and you may not be concerned with anything except lowest price, so take my opinion as you will.
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby john_nick » 13 Jan 2019, 21:02

23skidoo wrote:I have a strong and vocal dislike of all Behringer products and find their build quality, sound, and levels of noise and distortion personally offensive. You can find much better quality by spending not much more, IMO. But ymmv, and you may not be concerned with anything except lowest price, so take my opinion as you will.

I appreciate you offering your opinion. The make was suggested to me but I have no knowledge of the products. My criteria is that the amp takes two separate stereo inputs, a stereo feed out to mixing desk, reasonable weight, 30lbs or thereabouts, and fairly compact. Price would be up to £400.

Regards
john_nick

Postby 23skidoo » 13 Jan 2019, 21:22

I suggest you read our extensive FAQ on this subject, then! accessories-and-amplification-f8/nord-amplification-faq-t16772.html

That should give you some information necessary to ask further detailed questions, and possibly even solve your problem right off.

There are many good PA systems that are suitable as backline amps, more suitable in fact than keyboard or other dedicated-purpose amps may be. You may also want to consider getting any PA you really like and handling the keyboard mixing and FOH sends with a Radial Key Largo which has very good reviews here and can help you also make the switch to IEMs if you are considering that in the future - what you spend on the Key Largo might well be offset by what you could save by forgoing the mixer functionality on the amps/PA. But again, read the FAQ first for a lot of detail, and we've got several other posts around here (linked therein) for you to continue mining the best that we can suggest here, allowing you to focus on detailed questions after your research.

Best,
23skidoo

Postby kbrkr » 13 Jan 2019, 22:30

23skidoo wrote:I have a strong and vocal dislike of all Behringer products and find their build quality, sound, and levels of noise and distortion personally offensive. You can find much better quality by spending not much more, IMO. But ymmv, and you may not be concerned with anything except lowest price, so take my opinion as you will.

This is such an old fashioned opinion about B products. They have come a LOOOONG way in the past 10-20 years. They have become high quality, high value, and reliable pieces of equipment.

Perhaps you can be much more specific about a single piece of equipment to substantiate your argument, rather than indict an ENTIRE company.
Last edited by kbrkr on 13 Jan 2019, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

The author kbrkr was thanked by:
Schorsch
kbrkr
Patch Creator

Postby cphollis » 13 Jan 2019, 23:43

I too have had great experiences with all of my Behringer purchases over the last several years. The biggest problem with this question is the low price point. I don't think you're going to find anything acceptable unless you start looking at well-used gear.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby john_nick » 13 Jan 2019, 23:56

23skid. Those FAQs really useful, thanks for the link

Regards
john_nick

Postby 23skidoo » 14 Jan 2019, 00:24

AdamStage2 wrote:Behringer products have this stigma that most people think because they are cheap to buy they must be poor quality which isn't the case,they are able to mass produce things at a lower cost because they have the facilities to manufacture everything from a component level to finished product

Yes, the fact that they appear to steal most of their designs from other companies certainly cuts down the R&D costs too!

AdamStage2 wrote:behringer have a great portfolio of products nowadays!

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine, which is based on a wide range of experience with a wide number of their products in a variety of venues.
23skidoo

Return to Accessories and Amplification