Ns3 compact display issue

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
balzy
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Ns3 compact display issue

Post by balzy »

Hi everybody,
Since a couple of weeks (I don't really remember the exact day I noticed it) I am experiencing a light reduction from the main display compared to the synth one.
I thought it was a problem of software so today I updated from 2.0 to 2.02 but nothing changed. Actually the right part of the main display (where you usually read like XL,Lrg etc) is even darker than the left part.
Did someone experienced that? Any suggestion except trying to give it back to my store for the warranty and stuff?
Thanks in advance, here there is also a picture which shows well the issue.
(both the displays still have the plastic on them so it's not a matter of that)
(Sorry for my english)
Attachments
IMG_9815.JPG
IMG_9815.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 4163 times
Nord Stage 3 compact//RD-2000//Subsequent 37
stringtapper
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Re: Ns3 compact display issue

Post by stringtapper »

I had a problem with the main display on my NS3 Compact last year, detailed here: nord-stage-forum-f3/ns3-oled-glitch-t15016.html#p99389

I would suggest you either have the unit returned or take it to an authorized repair center to replace the screen as I had to do.
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12
balzy

Post by balzy »

Thank you for replying!
It's just annoying not having the keyboard for a long period of time (as I saw it happened to you) especially because I have some concerts in this period, but I think you are right and this is the only real solution.
AdamStage2

Post by AdamStage2 »

Have you moved a parameter/knob/switch which will alter the main display??

Try changing patches and see if the displays are the same brightness again

I noticed that if I leave my Keyboard on and don't touch any knob/Switch for a few minutes the Main display dims in brightness,if you then move a parameter or change patches the display returns back to its main brightness,I haven't noticed a difference in display brightness between the synth/Main display on my unit but I will check this once I'm back in the studio

I guess this is a power saving feature of the OLED display for it to dim slightly when not used for a few moments,a bit like when your pc screensaver comes on after not touching the computer,if it was a fault with the screen then it wouldn't be a consistent change in brightness but when I move a knob/Parameter it returns to normal lighting so to me that is perfectly normal,as I have other devices with OLEDs that if nothing is touched on the device for a few minutes the screen switches off,although I'm able to globally disable this.

I haven't seen any menu in the Stage which allows for it to be bypassed or the OLED brightness to be altered though so it may be something you have to live with,if it returns back to normal brightness upon changing the patch etc then I can say that this is OK as mine works the same way.

I'm aware of how the OLED dims on my Stage 3 so it seems like normal behaviour for an OLED to have some form of dimming/prolonging the Life of the screen by reducing the brightness so i don't see any fault with the screen in this respect,I would check the same on your device,if this is the case before condemning it as faulty,if there is no change in brightness after moving a parameter then guess your unit might need looking at.
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 12 Jan 2019, 18:10, edited 3 times in total.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

On my Stage 3, both displays dim at the same time and go back to full brightness when I play a key or touch a control.

They are always both at the same brightness, never different.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
balzy

Post by balzy »

Thank you everyone! Unfortunately also when I change program/instruments/drawbars etc on the main display the brightness doesn't change. And even if in the picture you cannot see it properly the right part of the display is darker than the left part. So probably it's a problem of internal lighting or something with the LED I suppose. I was hoping that there was something like a brightness control or maybe a software problem but it doesn't seem like that.
AdamStage2

Post by AdamStage2 »

I Would have your unit checked out,my main screen dims as I already mentioned above in my previous post about a power saving mode of the OLED,the synth screen and main screen still remain the same brightness even after dimming slightly on my unit and return back to full brightness as described above,so it looks as though there is a fault with your Screen that needs addressing.
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 13 Jan 2019, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
knopf_piano

Post by knopf_piano »

I have the opposite issue on my NS3C.
My OLED-display for synth is down, illumination is poor and partly fractal dpis visible.
Complained, will receive a total new one.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-11-08 13-38-15.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-11-08 13-38-15.png (228.18 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Find all you need in your mind - if you take the time!
LUISVL4D
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Post by LUISVL4D »

How to solve this problem? I have the same problem on the Synth display.
Nord Stage 4 Compact
Nord Lead A1
Hobster
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Hobster »

This is not an uncommon issue...
About a year ago, I had the same issue as LUIS above; ie. the Synth display got progressively darker over a period of a month or so.
If you're lucky (as I was), your national distributor (Sound Technology in the UK for me) may have an OLED display that they may be able to let you have...
Opening up the NS3C and replacing it is relatively easy to do (lots of screws but no soldering required) especially if you're used to opening up your gear.
Otherwise you'll have to return it to a dealer/distributor/repair place, whichever is most appropriate for you.