This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord stage 3 och Nord piano 4

Postby anotherscott » 11 Jan 2019, 18:43

baekgaard wrote:the actual physical weight needed to play the keys is higher on the NP4 compared to the NS3. On my NP4, I need approximately 25% more weight on a key to make it sound.

I haven't played the NP4, but I've seen speculation that it uses the Fatar TP40H whereas the NS3-88 uses the TP40M. (Besides the difference in 2-sensor vs. 3-sensor.)
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby 1000Keys » 11 Jan 2019, 18:53

anotherscott wrote:
1000Keys wrote:I had a NS2 HP 76

Was it the original model or the EX?

It was the NS2 EX, sry I forgot to mention this.
--
NS3 88, NE3 73
1000Keys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby baekgaard » 11 Jan 2019, 18:54

anotherscott wrote:
baekgaard wrote:the actual physical weight needed to play the keys is higher on the NP4 compared to the NS3. On my NP4, I need approximately 25% more weight on a key to make it sound.

I haven't played the NP4, but I've seen speculation that it uses the Fatar TP40H whereas the NS3-88 uses the TP40M. (Besides the difference in 2-sensor vs. 3-sensor.)

I don't know any details, obviously, but it would make sense to have the NP use a different keyboard which is more balanced towards acoustic piano playing.

It's a nice keyboard, in any case -- I think also @cphollis is quite happy with his?
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 11 Jan 2019, 20:43

I have NP2, NP4, NE4D and NS3C -- all through good amplification. Recently sold NS2 76 after the NS3C came into my life.

I liked the action on the NP2. I *love* the action on the NP4. Definitely oriented towards acoustic piano players with little (if any) compromise.

And the NP4 controlling 2GB of XL piano samples on the NS3C -- well, it's about as good as it gets for what I do.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby kirsty » 11 Jan 2019, 22:39

analogika wrote:
anotherscott wrote:
analogika wrote:The HP is apparently a lot lighter to play than the HA, and is optimised for easy transport.

Actually, even though it is lighter to carry around, most people find it heavier to play.

Ah, okay. Thanks for straightening that out.

I am obviously not qualified to comment on the piano actions.

I wouldnt agree with that having first started out with the Piano 2 HP, then going to the Stage 2EX HP76 which died.
I had a loan Piano 3 HA88 which i found substantially heavier to play than the HP action. I preferred it though, much more expressive.
I now have the NS3, which isnt quite as heavy to play as the Piano 3 was, but is definitely heavier in touch than the HP actions.

There is nothing wrong with the HP action though. Its still weighted enough to qualify as a proper weighted keyboard (unlike many advertised -semi weighted keyboards that when played basically have no noticable weight at all) Its worth noting that other boards such as the Kurzweil Artis use the same TP100 Fatar keybed for their 88 key fully weighted boards and it is perfectly pleasant to play on. :thumbup:

Personal opinion, the HA TP40 is clearly much better to play on, but again no reason to discount the HP based boards given their weight advantage if that is desirable. I was more than happy with it before my NS3 upgrade.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507

The author kirsty was thanked by:
analogika
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby grahnen » 12 Jan 2019, 10:58

Thank You all for information. I also are a little bit wondering about Electro 6 HP. Is this the same keybed like Stage 3 HP 76? I can find Electro 6 HP more close to me if I will try the keybeds. It is difficoult to compare Electro and Stage on Nords hompage. You can only compare one kind of produkt (elektro or Stage)
grahnen

Postby kirsty » 12 Jan 2019, 16:37

I do believe the E6 HP keybed wih its 73 keys is the same action as the NS376HP

My Piano 2HP 73 was the same action as the NS2 EX76

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507

The author kirsty was thanked by:
grahnen
kirsty

Postby anotherscott » 12 Jan 2019, 17:09

1000Keys wrote:It was the NS2 EX, sry I forgot to mention this.

That's what I figured, based on the experience you described. The 76 changed from TP40 on the NS2 to TP100 on the NS2EX.

kirsty wrote:
anotherscott wrote:even though it is lighter to carry around, most people find it heavier to play.

I wouldnt agree with that...
I now have the NS3, which isnt quite as heavy to play as the Piano 3 was, but is definitely heavier in touch than the HP actions.

That's why I said "most" people, there are exceptions! But that's what you'll typically find when you read these and other forums. I think the reason something like this is not universal is that people play differently and experience "heaviness" differently. My suspicion here is that the TP100 keys are slower on the return, which can make them psychologically feel heavier to play, even if the amount of force needed to play them is not great. It's more of a general "sluggishness" relative to the "quicker" feeling TP40 which gets described as feeling "heavy" even though technically it probably is not. Though again, people's individual touch could be a factor in how they respond to these keys as well.

kirsty wrote:Its worth noting that other boards such as the Kurzweil Artis use the same TP100 Fatar keybed for their 88 key fully weighted boards and it is perfectly pleasant to play on.

I thought the Artis felt bad! I found the TP100 to be better feeling on a Dexibell P3 and a Numa Stage I played. Still not great, but noticeably better.

grahnen wrote: I also are a little bit wondering about Electro 6 HP. Is this the same keybed like Stage 3 HP 76?

All Nord HP models use the same keybed, Fatar TP100. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will all feel identical when you play them. It's possible there may have been some hardware and/or software tweaks over time. Similarly, the Nord Stage 2 and Nord Stage 3 both used TP-8O in the 73 and TP40 in the 88, yet there has been plenty of discussion about how the newer ones don't feel the same (wth some people preferring the earlier!)... and even the feel of the NS3 keys themselves have changed as Nord has altered the velocity response in subsequent updates.
anotherscott

Postby kirsty » 12 Jan 2019, 17:47

anotherscott i agree it is all very subjective to the individual. I hope my message didnt come across as me saying you were wrong, just that for my experience it was different to how your message described.

The HP action is a little muddy, compared to the HA where you get almost a definite clunk at the bottom of the strike. I like the HA as much as I did the CP4 which has Yamaha's top of the line highly praised offering within.

The Artis, i preferred over the Roland HP507 which used to give me hand fatigue after a while so is not the worst keybed I have used :)
Last edited by kirsty on 14 Jan 2019, 19:47, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
kirsty

Postby grahnen » 14 Jan 2019, 15:47

Hello and thank You all for the information. It should be the same keybed for a NS 3 and NS 2 HA88 but I dont feel so??? Now I have tryed a NS 3 88 HA. I can say like sombody here... The NS 3 88HA is more light than my old NS2 88HA and I like this!! So I think I bought a NS 3 88 HA!! Thank You all
grahnen

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum