Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord drum 3 with Volca Kick

Postby junglsmor » 10 Jan 2019, 06:12

So I am trying to trigger a volca kick to layer with the nord drum. The only way i can get it to trigger is if the nord is on global 1 with the volca on the same number. But I only want it to trigger with pad 1 and its triggering with every pad instead. I tried just putting pad one on midi channel 1 and every other pad off and global off but then it wont trigger. Is it possible to trigger the volca kick with just the kick pad 1 on the nord pad 3?
junglsmor

Nord drum 3 with Volca Kick

Sponsor

Re: Nord drum 3 with Volca Kick

Postby wartaler » 10 Jan 2019, 21:37

Hi Junglsmor,
The 3p only sends MIDI notes on the Global MIDI channel, not on the Individual MIDI channels, which can only be used to control the 3p sound parameters. The notes that are sent can be set per drum channel in the MIDI settings. The trick would be to only use notes on drum channel 2-5 that will not trigger a sound on the Volca. If the Volca responds to all incoming note numbers, it's not going to work without additional MIDI filtering.
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby junglsmor » 11 Jan 2019, 23:25

Wow. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t allow different pads to send to different midi channles. It sounds really good when layered with other stuff. Could there be a software update to allow that? Do you know of any other solutions? You mentioned midi filtering. How would I achieve that?
junglsmor

Postby wartaler » 12 Jan 2019, 11:51

Hi,
The best companions for layering with the 3p are probably samplers and other sound modules where you can map single samples or sounds to individual MIDI notes. There is a work-around for your setup though. Any app, DAW plugin or hardware MIDI processor that can filter out notes or create a 'keyboard split' can be used to pass only the MIDI note from one drum channel to your Volca Kick.

I was able to set up a filter with iOS app 'Midiflow', so that it only let through note C3, all other notes were ignored. If you happen to have an iOS device and a USB-MIDI interface, ..

The Digital Music Corp MX-8 that Pablo mentioned in another thread here on the forum, is able to setup 'keyboard splits'; ranges of notes can be routed to different MIDI channels. The MX-8 is no longer produced, perhaps to be found on e-bay.

The 'MIDI Platform' by Future Artists will be able to do it, but it may take a while before they will start selling them..

The MIDI Solutions Event Processor (/Plus) is perhaps able to do it but it's not compatible with Nord keyboards and probably not with drums either.

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 13 Jan 2019, 14:21, edited 12 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum