General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS3-88 Suddenly dead

Postby RichardG » 13 Dec 2018, 23:58

I've logged a report @Clavia and pointed to this thread.
Can't tell them anything else but at least they're aware of it.
I'll add it to the bug sheet too.
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

The author RichardG was thanked by:
baekgaard
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Sponsor

Postby RichardG » 09 Jan 2019, 22:15

Got a response from Clavia that they're looking into it. :thumbup:
So if anyone (who has not logged a call) has anything to add pls. log it at Clavia so they have as much info as possible.
Don't know how many open issues they have but it feels like they're catching up; I logged this Dec 13 (Yes, almost a month but these kind of issues are no quick wins...)

Here are their questions and my answers inn italics :

- Has it happened again, since the one time on stage? In that case, with v2.00 or v2.02?
No, for me it was one time only.
Have updated to v2.00 and it hasn't happened (yet)

- Was the instrument completely silent when keys were played?
Yes. Even adjusted the main volume but heard nothing.
- Any additional info on the state of the instrument when it occured is interesting:
- Did it happen when you were playing, i.e. was there sound playing/keys pressed when it happened?
No. For me there was some time in between my last actions : reorganizing song-list and the sound-check.
Nothing happened/changed between those.
When we started the soundcheck it was silent.

- Did it seem correlated to changing a program?
No. I did change to other songs/programs but they were all silent while I knew for certain they should generate sound.
- Do you remember what sort of program you were using when it happened? Active sound engines, Panel A/B etc.
Most of my sounds are combinations with organ and synth and mostly use 2 panels.
Every program I tried was silent, also when turning the volume up from the organ-section.

- Was the output routing set to anything other than the default values?
No. I always use out 1 & 2.
- Did you try a “Panic” operation?
No. Didn't come up in my mind to do that as something like this has never occurred before in all the stages I had before (Classic and 2).

Far fetched idea :
I did move songs around (in setlist order) and saw that v2.02 fixes some copying/moving stuff.
Maybe somehow some global internal variable got an invalid value which culminated in this (silent) behavior ?
I suppose that with a (re)boot things are checked and that this was rectified because of this.

Partial (relevant) reply back from Clavia :

Thanks for reporting back! Yes, the fact that this has only happened once (in your case) and that the other similar reports differ slightly of course makes for a challenge in pin-pointing the cause. One of the other reports mentions “light clicks” being heard, in a similar state, and one of the reports seems more like a “freeze” where no panel operations have effect. In any case we are at it.
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

The author RichardG was thanked by 2 members, including:
DanielD71baekgaard
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby guillex » 07 Mar 2019, 01:24

Hi guys, I´m having the exactly same problem with, not one, ifnot 2 different Nord Stage 3 SW73. After having problem with my first Stage 3, I asked the seller to change it for a new one. The problem is the same in both...but, in the first, after rebooting everything was fine...however, in the new one, i have to unplugged, then turn on, turn off, and plug again to the wall, and after turnin on it works. If, i dont do this proceedure the stage doesn´t turn on...

This is happening whit the 2,02 and also with the new 2,10 and it was happening with the 1,80...

Watch on youtube.com
Watch on youtube.com

NORD HAVE TO FIX THIS. 3600 dollars for a keyboard
Last edited by guillex on 07 Mar 2019, 06:36, edited 3 times in total.
guillex

Postby 23skidoo » 07 Mar 2019, 02:09

guillex wrote:Hi guys, I´m having the exactly same problem with, not one, ifnot 2 different Nord Stage 3 SW73.

1. This topic is about the NS3-88. We have another topic for NS3 compacts going dead.
2. If you've had 2 doing this, I might suggest you consider the common element is you and your studio. Perhaps you have bad power? Perhaps you are plugging the wrong voltage synth in? This is not a common issue with these synths and having 2 do this in a row suggests more a problem on your end (to me) than a problem with Clavia, who have sold by now thousands of these synths and there is no epidemic.

So please calm down and rationally start to troubleshoot the problem with Clavia Nord tech support since it is evident that either you do indeed have bad luck and got the two dead synths or that perhaps you need some assistance getting your studio power in order. :)
Last edited by 23skidoo on 07 Mar 2019, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby guillex » 07 Mar 2019, 07:29

23skidoo wrote:
guillex wrote:Hi guys, I´m having the exactly same problem with, not one, ifnot 2 different Nord Stage 3 SW73.

1. This topic is about the NS3-88. We have another topic for NS3 compacts going dead.
2. If you've had 2 doing this, I might suggest you consider the common element is you and your studio. Perhaps you have bad power? Perhaps you are plugging the wrong voltage synth in? This is not a common issue with these synths and having 2 do this in a row suggests more a problem on your end (to me) than a problem with Clavia, who have sold by now thousands of these synths and there is no epidemic.

So please calm down and rationally start to troubleshoot the problem with Clavia Nord tech support since it is evident that either you do indeed have bad luck and got the two dead synths or that perhaps you need some assistance getting your studio power in order. :)

Well....

1-sorry for disturbing you...nord stage 3 73 or 88 same synth different keybed right ? Same problem..

2- I have 3 more keyboards including a stage 2 during 4 years plugged in the same studio...zero problems. My computers...monitors...screen...and key amp works fine...no electrical problems.
I don't think this is "epidemic"...and i was calm till today...i will contact with nord to tell them this...thank you!

Ps: do you work in nord? Reading you post., well..sounds likes it.
guillex

Postby baekgaard » 07 Mar 2019, 09:38

I'll chime in also on this.

Maybe I missed it, but what happened BEFORE you god into this situation? It would be good to know what could potentially have triggered this (if anything -- or even if it just happens after standing idle after a long time).

guillex wrote:1-sorry for disturbing you...nord stage 3 73 or 88 same synth different keybed right ? Same problem..

As far as I know, the main differences are the keys and the drawbars. Obviously there could be some differences with the print connected to the keys themselves, but we don't know, and it may as well be the same error or problem.

2- I have 3 more keyboards including a stage 2 during 4 years plugged in the same studio...zero problems. My computers...monitors...screen...and key amp works fine...no electrical problems.

Different instruments could be more or less susceptible to supply line noise; it can very well be that a newer board (with more advanced electronics) is more sensitive to noise. So if it happens frequently in some place, it would be interesting to see if the same happens somewhere else, with better supply line regulation.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby chriskeys » 07 Mar 2019, 10:05

I figured out a similar problem, but only one channel was "dead".
Used Channel 1 and 2 as L and R - during a slideup with a pianosound, exactly at a split point where another pianosound is added, the Channel 2 (R) became silent.

I could hear it because of Stereo in ear Monitoring. Unfortunately during a Gig in the middle of a song. Luckily i still could hear Channel 1 and continued playing but the sound engineer gave me a sign one channel is missing.
I was able to re-start in short break, but Channel 2 was still missing. Got the sound back after i changed to another program with a different pianosound.
So far, not reproducable afterwards - but very worrying it can happen again.
my YouTube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/chriskeys :thumbup:
:keyboard2:
Nord Stage 3, Motif XS7, Roland JV-2080
Alesis Vortex wireless, iPad mini (MidiFire, Bandhelper), K&M Spider Pro
chriskeys

Postby ChillOnTheSun » 07 Mar 2019, 12:40

I had the same issue, I don´t remember if it was in v1.60 or in 2.00, it was in December 2018. I was browsing through the Brandon Coleman sound bank with PROGRAM knob and then suddenly there was no sound from organ section, piano and synth. Then I returned and tried all the sounds, nothing worked except some synth patches. I swith the keyboard on/off and it worked alright then. I though then that it was because I was browsing through the programs very fast or something like that...
ChillOnTheSun

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby guillex » 07 Mar 2019, 14:55

baekgaard wrote:Different instruments could be more or less susceptible to supply line noise; it can very well be that a newer board (with more advanced electronics) is more sensitive to noise. So if it happens frequently in some place, it would be interesting to see if the same happens somewhere else, with better supply line regulation.

Yes, welll...I am planning to move my studio to other bulding in the next days..however, I was 1 hour reading same problem with different stage 3, I think that is not a minor problem....not epidemic, maybe, but also not a minor problem... I was hoping not to have this problem again after uprgrading to the last 2,10 OS, but is even worst... :sad:

I will share with all you more news after moving to another bulding...but something is really wrong, if different people in different buldings, city and countries has the same problem... :?
guillex

Postby sus_4 » 07 Mar 2019, 15:02

Food for thought... Unless I've missed their posts, this doesn't seem to be happening in the States. Could this be a European power issue?
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum