This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Reevaluating piano samples when your amplification improves

Postby OrpheusNY » 08 Jan 2019, 20:58

Yes, I know, just what this forum needs, another thread about "which piano samples do you use?"

I've recently started playing through an improved (especially for Nord's acoustic piano samples) amp setup, a stereo pair of QSC K 8.2s. I realized recently I formed my opinions of the many acoustic piano samples Nord offers on different equipment, so I decided to devote a couple hours to taking some previously discarded samples for a spin.

What I've come to realize is that for me there are four basic categories of acoustic piano I want to have at my fingertips (excluding special effects like tack piano etc.), which I'll shorthand as warm solo, warm ensemble, brighter solo, and bright ensemble. I don't know if anyone else would find this exercise useful, but I thought I'd post my initial results:

Warm solo: in a comeback, the Velvet Grand. I really wan't too fond of this one when it came out, but through better amplification it sounds much better to me. If I keep it I'll delete the Warm Upright, which covers the same ground but now sounds almost like a pad compared to the Velvet through the QSC's. Will likely also keep the Amber Upright for solo stuff as well.

Warm Ensemble: Royal Grand. still warm but with more definition than the Velvet.

Bright ensemble: Silver Grand. My favorite cutter, more naturally piano-like than the Bright Grand to me, despite the sheen.

Bright solo- Italian Grand. Another comeback where it sounds much better to me now through better speakers. Bright but more natural, less overwhelming a sound than the Silver.

Random thoughts on a Tuesday.
OrpheusNY

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Reevaluating piano samples when your amplification improves

Sponsor

Re: Reevaluating piano samples when your amplification impro

Postby 23skidoo » 08 Jan 2019, 21:09

Interesting - my feelings are pretty similar, although I'd sub the Imperial for the Italian in the bright solo category. To me, the Italian feels very "recorded" and the Imperial still retains a bit of the sparkle, while keeping a laid back grandeur that the Silver lacks. For some reason, I really really like the Rain upright, too. It's my "moody solo" go-to.
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby NordNerd431 » 09 Jan 2019, 05:41

Nice post. I discovered new favorites as well since I bought my 8.2’s. Great sound for the $$!
Nord Stage 3 88
Roland Fantom X8
Korg O1/W
Yamaha DX7
Roland D50
Roland fp3
NordNerd431

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Spider » 09 Jan 2019, 11:09

Yes it's generally recognized that Nord pianos benefit more than other brands from quality amplification, it really lets all the nuances of each sample shine through!

I never liked the Italian (too cold and harsh for my tastes) but for the rest I agree with you, Silver and Velvet are my favorites.

The Velvet IMHO is a a hidden gem: it's easy to dismiss it as muffled and lifeless, but at the higher velocity levels it can sing and sparkle as well as the others. I usually play it with the 1 or 2 velocity curve to exploit more easily its full dynamic range.
(I always use curve 0 for all other pianos)

These are my go-to sounds for "classic" bright and soft piano sounds, then I use the uprights as "character" pianos: there is an unbelievable amount of variety in the upright library, much more than among the grands!
I dearly love the Rain, Black, Baby and Bambino. I know the Amber gets a lot of love but for whatever reason I never warmed up to it.
The Queen and Grand uprights are amazing but almost too good, they sound almost like a grand piano, so for those kind of sounds... I'll just use a regular grand. ;)
Last edited by Spider on 09 Jan 2019, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby alexmarinojR » 09 Jan 2019, 23:43

I concur also. Seems there's a pattern for most of us.
Velvet is great for soft stuff. Very nuanced.
Love the silver to cut through a rock band and as an all rounder.
Imperial really does it for me it has a very bright and forward upper register for solos, and the best lower register , feels like the real grand bosendorfer I used to play in college. I use an EQ for the mids, just to cut the excessive overtones, or maybe I should just download the M/L when I think of it.
Last edited by alexmarinojR on 09 Jan 2019, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
alexmarinojR

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum