Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: NOISE on D1 royal grand 3d

Postby maurus » 30 Dec 2018, 22:01

The last post contains the essence of Nord's approach to piano sounds.

As an aside, and perhaps a bonus for some: I've noticed more than once that the L versions of acoustic piano sounds in the Nord Library are a little more polished, with a few quirks less than the XL versions. I found this particularly noticeable in the Boesendorfer which I love and use a lot. As a matter of fact I prefer the Bosie L to the Bosie XL for that reason.

Perhaps do a comparison of the L and XL versions of the Royal Grand?
Last edited by maurus on 30 Dec 2018, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby Mr_-G- » 31 Dec 2018, 01:32

Interesting observation... I wonder if that is because there are less keys sampled, so in average you get less quirks as more keys are re-pitched repetitions of other keys?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby maurus » 31 Dec 2018, 15:15

Yes, that would be the simplest explanation, in particular since one would not choose a quirky sample for re-pitching.

But I wondered whether this might in fact be intentional, at least in some of the sounds. The L versions, while having all the resonances, are certainly the result of quite a bit of tinkering anyway (if only for the reason you mention), so it might make good sense from Clavia's point of view to give them a slightly different character from the XL versions.

Everyone should try it out for herself or himself with good phones, the differences are quite noticeable.

Edit: I re-tried the Royal Grand L, and it has indeed a quirky stretch group around D4 as well, with a nasty sharp attack and sound at high velocities. Can't say I like it much. I wouldn't want to own an acoustic piano with that kind of attack...
Last edited by maurus on 01 Jan 2019, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
maurus

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Pianolin » 14 Jan 2019, 00:05

I now went from the XL to L and I actually prefer that slightly altered character. The noise on the D is still there but the rest of the mid-range IMO sounds a bit better. Or perhaps it's psychological :angel:
Pianolin

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum