This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Question regarding SW Action and the Dynamics Settings

Postby Rusty Mike » 23 Dec 2018, 18:47

Question to you owners of recent Electro (SW) and Stage Compact models with the Keyboard Dynamics settings. Do you find the dynamics settings help at all with making the piano playing better?

On my Electro 4D, playing the acoustic piano patches is very difficult, as I have to keep an unnaturally light touch to get any subtlety. Up to that point, only the HP models included the velocity dynamics settings. Nord introduced the velocity dynamics on the E5 SW models, although I think the Stage 2/2EX Compact had it as well.

Related to the Drawbar 9 cancel feature in the other thread, I would consider upgrading to an E6-73SW if that became a reality. Having something a bit lighter would be very beneficial for rehearsals and small simple gigs. But it would be a great bonus if the dynamics setting actually made playing piano a bit more tolerable.

Since my Stage 2EX is an HP. I know very well how it works on that action. I was really interested only in whether it has a positive effect on the SW action.

Thanks!
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Question regarding SW Action and the Dynamics Settings

Sponsor

Re: Question regarding SW Action and the Dynamics Settings

Postby Frantz » 23 Dec 2018, 20:38

Only my 4d had the problem you describe.
Things are uncomparably better with my 5d now.
Indeed the NS2C is fine too.
Is it enough to conclude that you should be safe with a 6 , I guess you should, but ...
as the playing sensation remains subjective, and in order to prevent any deception, also regarding any possible difference between units, it's better to try before you buy, if possible ;)
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby tobruk » 27 Dec 2018, 17:03

Actually, Nord also brought dynamics settings to the NE4 SW73 (which I own). The E4D was the only model in that line that did not have them.

YMMV (of course), but I noticed a big difference when I upgraded from the NE3-73 (which also did not have them). I found the dynamics settings made the pianos far easier to control.
Last edited by tobruk on 27 Dec 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 4 SW73
tobruk

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby Rusty Mike » 27 Dec 2018, 18:05

Thanks for the responses. Frantz, I really should play one before making a decision, I agree. There is a chance, however, that I just might pull the trigger without doing so.

Prior to the E4D, I started with an Electro 2-61 and then moved on to an E3-73SW, so I'm familiar with the feel of the keys. I can certainly accommodate to the keys on the 4D, but it would be nice to play and be less conscious of the velocity sensitivity. And it's more about the APs than anything else - I seem to be able to play the EP sounds fine.

I'm only really waiting to see when Nord implements the drawbar cancel and adds the v6.0 EPs and filters.

I may sell the 4D sooner anyway. I can certainly struggle on with "only" the Stage 2EX :lol:
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Postby cphollis » 27 Dec 2018, 19:23

Hmm. AP parts are easier to play on my NS3C than, say, my older NE4D. The keybed helps, but velocity settings don't as much I'm used to playing weighted actions for AP parts. But there's still a big gap between NS3C SW keybed and, say, my NP2 or NP4.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Rusty Mike » 27 Dec 2018, 21:30

Hi Chuck. I have a specific purpose for this. The Stage 2EX HP is my main piano instrument and goes with me for all but the smallest of events.

I've been using the 4D mostly for organ/EP for small jazz combo stuff, pickup gigs or jam sessions. Even for the small things, 61 keys is a bit crowded; it would be great to have a bit more breathing room for split keyboard applications. Plus, I've become intrigued with the new EP samples and filters about to be implemented on the Electro 6.

I'm doing more small duo gigs in restaurants and bring the 4D due to the size and weight, so I've been playing AP on it more and more. It's lighter to carry than the Stage. (yes, I'm very lazy).

I've been considering adding a Yamaha P121 to the arsenal for the duo thing, but I've played the P125 a few times and can't connect with the action. Instead, upgrading the 4D to a 6D-73 would check a few boxes:
- Six octaves of keys makes a big difference
- Still very light
- All the great sounds that I'm used to. I know what works for me and what doesn't
- Still gives me the nice Nord B3 emulation with more room for split keyboard applications
- The monitor in jack now supports output to the mains. I can use backing tracks from the iPad and leave the mixer home
- A UI and workflow that I'm familiar with, and compatible with all my pedals, etc. One gig bag, pick your instrument and go.
- I can live with the action even if it's not optimal

A total revamp of the arsenal is not in the 2019 budget, so the goal here is versatility, even if some compromises are to be had. Since I'm already using the 4D for some piano work, I see the 6D as a step up. The Stage is going nowhere - it still swings!
Rusty Mike

Return to General Nord Forum