Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Anything I would be missing out on from a wave if I go NL4?

Postby taliesin » 25 Dec 2018, 19:57

Really can't decide between the two.

You can load samples on both, so is there really any reason to get a wave over a 4?
taliesin

Anything I would be missing out on from a wave if I go NL4?

Sponsor

Re: Anything I would be missing out on from a wave if I go N

Postby Mr_-G- » 25 Dec 2018, 20:53

I do not think you can load samples in the NL4.

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
pablomastodon
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby alcools » 25 Dec 2018, 22:39

Sure : you can’t
Actual synth: Nord Modular G2 - Nord Stage 3 73 - Virus Ti2 - Peak - Prophet 6
Before: Nord Lead 3 & 4, Stage 1&2, Wave, Virus C, DSI Tetra, P12, and few others...
alcools

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby CountFosco » 25 Dec 2018, 23:28

As above, Leads are synths, Waves are synth + sample (playback and manipulation). I'm sure you could make some great noises with either. I saw in your other post about preferring the Lead 4 over the A1. Why do you see that so black and white? The A1 is an immense synth, I love it. Just looked on Ricardo.ch, I see used versions of all three of these boards advertised at around the same price (approx 1 kCHF), which doesn't make the decision any easier. In the end, I think any of these boards could deliver pretty similar and satisfying results, once you've learned how to drive it. If samples are important, I guess it's gotta be a Wave.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby taliesin » 25 Dec 2018, 23:49

CountFosco wrote:As above, Leads are synths, Waves are synth + sample (playback and manipulation). I'm sure you could make some great noises with either. I saw in your other post about preferring the Lead 4 over the A1. Why do you see that so black and white? The A1 is an immense synth, I love it. Just looked on Ricardo.ch, I see used versions of all three of these boards advertised at around the same price (approx 1 kCHF), which doesn't make the decision any easier. In the end, I think any of these boards could deliver pretty similar and satisfying results, once you've learned how to drive it. If samples are important, I guess it's gotta be a Wave.

Thanks. The stage 3 can do A1 as well as sample playback right? Almost seems like the best option is just to fork out the extra money for a stage 3. UGH. I've done so much endless research on these synths, such a hard decision to go with.
taliesin

Postby maxpiano » 25 Dec 2018, 23:57

@taliesin: maybe you should clarify what type of sounds and music are you after, first of all; the NS3 synth extends the A1 with samples but otoh loses some other features (and buying a NS3 just for its synth is a little overkill, imho).
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Dec 2018, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby taliesin » 26 Dec 2018, 07:01

maxpiano wrote:@taliesin: maybe you should clarify what type of sounds and music are you after, first of all; the NS3 synth extends the A1 with samples but otoh loses some other features (and buying a NS3 just for its synth is a little overkill, imho).

I need to be able to have synth/lead sounds as well as a decent piano/electric keyboard esque sounds. I don't need Stage 3 quality pianos but it needs to sound like a decent piano. Basically I guess if the wave can produce piano/electric piano sounds off of loaded samples then I should be good to go, but I'm not totally sure how loading samples works. Are there piano samples that I can load and then I have that piano sound ready to go? Or does it not work like that? Otherwise I would probably need a stage 3 to get piano and synth leads in one. Hope that made some sense.
taliesin

Postby maxpiano » 26 Dec 2018, 09:30

Well, once again it depends on what "decent" means for you; the Wave can load any type of sample so also pianos/etc.. but Nord samples are mono-layer, so don't expect to get the same level of realism on pianos/epianos that you would get from a Stage (and Wave polyphony is limited, compared to the Stage, another point to consider + it has only 49 keys, not many for playing pianos... ).

So imo, unless you will play 95% synths and 5% (i.e. only occasionally) pianos/keybs, you probably need to go for a Stage.
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Dec 2018, 09:34, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby CountFosco » 26 Dec 2018, 15:52

It's a strange place to start - I need leads, but also some bread and butter. I bet you'll find it's the other way around, lead sounds will proportionally form a small part of what you do. And playing sampled pianos through a Wave will leave you disappointed (I suppose, I never tried). If you've got Stage dosh, go for it, it will be an awesome board. But there are cheaper all rounders out there.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Spider » 26 Dec 2018, 17:20

I was going to start on the (many) differences between the Lead4 and the Wave, but they all relate to the synth architecture (The two instruments are as different as they can be: the Lead 4 has some piano-like wavetables but doesn't load samples, multitimbrality is different, effects are different, filters are different...pretty much everything actually).
But from your other posts, it sounds like maybe you're not very interested in the synthesis aspects of the keyboard (programming your own synthetic sounds and manipulating them in real time)?

If that's the case, you may be much better off with a Nord Stage, or an Electro. You will get all the pianos, electric pianos and organs and you can load samples of synth sounds (the sample library and this forum are loaded with excellent samples). Of course, they will be samples and you lose the ability to manipulate them from the instrument, like you would do on a real synth. But for playing live, they may be more than good enough, depending on your specific needs.

If, on the other hand, your prevalent interest really is synthesis, and you only need some basic piano sounds here and there to round out your sonic palette, you can check out this comparison table I did about the various Clavia synth models (it's in attachment in the first post)
nord-lead-rack-forum-f12/very-quick-question-t8797-40.html
Last edited by Spider on 26 Dec 2018, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

The author Spider was thanked by:
taliesin
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum