Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: How to Record to a DAW // What cable do i need?

Postby peppermint » 25 Dec 2018, 11:52

Ok, Thank you both two for your answers!

Yes, i like to record Keyboard and Voice too. My Budget is about 100€.

Can you Suggest me one? Maybe a Second Hand one?

Is this one ok: https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_onyx_producer_2x2.htm
Last edited by peppermint on 25 Dec 2018, 12:09, edited 2 times in total.
peppermint

Sponsor

Postby maxpiano » 25 Dec 2018, 12:28

That one is OK so anything similar to that one will do the job, you can find some cheaper similar models from other brands.

But having only 2 inputs means that you will have to plug/unplug microphone and keyboard depending on what you want to record, so you'd better go for a small mixer with USB audio (like the Behringer Q502 USB or Q802 USB) or for an Audio Interface with at least 4 input channels (e.g. https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_umc404hd.htm) to keep your microphone and keyboard always connected to the computer at the same time.
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 Dec 2018, 12:31, edited 3 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
peppermint
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby 23skidoo » 25 Dec 2018, 18:45

I wouldn't touch Behringer's stuff with a 1000 foot pole, personally. If you want good quality affordable recording interfaces I highly recommend picking up a used Focusrite Scarlett - something like a 2i4 at minimum and a 6i6 or 8i20 if you can swing it. Even the MkIs are loads better than the Behringer stuff in terms of noise, preamps, and stability/reliability, but if you can find a MkII you're getting an even better value (and super low latency - that's the main difference between the MkI and MkII... first versions have "ok" latency (6-10ms at usual buffers, no problem for single-shot recording but you wouldn't want to loop out and back in them for, say, a hardware effects unit - the MkIIs are in the 1-4ms range with a fast computer, on par with my RME!). Plus the Scarletts can record all input channels simultaneously whereas the Behringer mixers can only record 2 channels at a time, even if you have stuff plugged into the other channels. This always infuriates me when I want to do a take with vocals, keys, and/or guitar/bass too - having to record three separate times just to get a workable scratch track wastes time, IMO.

The author 23skidoo was thanked by:
peppermint
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby maxpiano » 25 Dec 2018, 18:58

23skidoo wrote:I wouldn't touch Behringer's stuff with a 1000 foot pole, personally. If you want good quality affordable recording interfaces I highly recommend picking up a used Focusrite Scarlett - something like a 2i4 at minimum and a 6i6 or 8i20 if you can swing it. Even the MkIs are loads better than the Behringer stuff in terms of noise, preamps, and stability/reliability, but if you can find a MkII you're getting an even better value (and super low latency - that's the main difference between the MkI and MkII... first versions have "ok" latency (6-10ms at usual buffers, no problem for single-shot recording but you wouldn't want to loop out and back in them for, say, a hardware effects unit - the MkIIs are in the 1-4ms range with a fast computer, on par with my RME!). Plus the Scarletts can record all input channels simultaneously whereas the Behringer mixers can only record 2 channels at a time, even if you have stuff plugged into the other channels. This always infuriates me when I want to do a take with vocals, keys, and/or guitar/bass too - having to record three separate times just to get a workable scratch track wastes time, IMO.

The Focusrites are fine and very likely better, but not in the OP budget of 100€ and... not all Behringers are that bad, for a novice and amateur use (and I mentioned not only mixers but also a 4x4 interface). Have you ever tried them or is your judgment based on others' opinions?

(in any case, buying from an online stores ensures you can return the object if you are not satisfied, so not a big risk to try a Behringer before saying it is not good enough, for the OP case)
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 Dec 2018, 19:18, edited 4 times in total.

peppermint
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby 23skidoo » 26 Dec 2018, 21:21

I've had hands on experience with a great many Behringer products, from mixing desks to effects units and audio i/o, and as I said I will never personally use them if I have any choice in the matter. In my experience, they have audible noise floors, strange phase responses and other sonic artifacts, usually some latent defect in manufacturing that shows up some time after purchase, and if they do manage to last a reasonable period of time are entirely medicore at best. I have not come across a single Behringer product I would willingly spend my own money on, and I kept this choice even when I was a starving student. And that's even leaving aside the politics of a company who would choose to sue people who point out their designs are straight rip offs of other's work.

I used to be a live sound and studio recording technician for many years, both in film/tv production and for independent bands. I also have a professional background in electrical engineering, audio signal processing, and as a programmer. I develop my own microelectronics as well. I know whereof I speak.

But hey, ymmv. I'm just sharing my own experiences here, you're sharing yours. I'm not saying anybody's wrong - if these issues don't concern you or aren't a factor in your decision making, or if absolute price is the most important thing (well in that case go with a used M-Audio off Craigslist or whatever your equivalent is locally) you do you. Isn't the point of a forum to share ideas?
Last edited by 23skidoo on 26 Dec 2018, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.

The author 23skidoo was thanked by:
peppermint
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby peppermint » 31 Dec 2018, 19:08

Happy 2019 to you all! Thx for your Help!

The author peppermint was thanked by:
LudovicVDP
peppermint

Postby peppermint » 12 Mar 2019, 19:08

Hello, again i have a Question :)

I have bought the Behringer UMC404 and now i will connect the Nord with the Behringer to record Audio in the DAW. I have a screenshot here ( Behringer Backside ): https://screenshots.firefox.com/DdFCyoe ... thomann.de
Nord Piano Screenshot ( Backside ): https://screenshots.firefox.com/HQl9MxF ... thomann.de

Ok, the DC in is for the Power for the Behringer.
1.The USB Out from the Nord Piano goes to the Laptop USB to Transfer MIDI, is this right?
2. What cables do i need to transfer the Audio and where must i put it in?
Sorry for the Noob Questions ....
peppermint

Postby maxpiano » 12 Mar 2019, 19:51

1 yes, if you want to record MIDI too (not needed for audio only)
2 you need 2 mono jack cables to connect Nord Piano OUTs 1&2 to UMC404 Inputs 1&2 (which are in the front of it, not on the back), set in Line mode by their corresponding switches.

umc404.jpg
umc404.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 Mar 2019, 21:59, edited 6 times in total.

peppermint
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby peppermint » 12 Mar 2019, 21:20

Hello maxpiano,

thank you very much for your quick reply!

Is this the right cable please?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_sk3613_kabel.htm
peppermint

Postby maxpiano » 12 Mar 2019, 21:56

peppermint wrote:Hello maxpiano,

thank you very much for your quick reply!

Is this the right cable please?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_sk3613_kabel.htm

:thumbup:

peppermint
maxpiano
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum