Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Re: Trigger Nord Drum 3P via MIDI with additional pads?

Postby bentstavanger » 22 Dec 2018, 00:39

wartaler wrote:Hi,
The first step is to setup an individual MIDI channel for the drum channel with the tom sound (if the Global MIDI channel = 10, pick any except MIDI channel 10), any note sent on that MIDI channel will then trigger the tom sound and the note number will determine the pitch.
Albert

Thanks Albert!

That's great! It is actually explained in the manual, but for some reason I just skipped over the MIDI chapter without paying attention...

The way I see this, it opens up a lot of possibilities, not just the extra toms. Some additional ideas:
1) Have a simple step sequencer, e.g. Beatstep or SQ-1 play a melodic sequence using a tuned percussion sound on one channel of the 3P. Play on top of the sequence on the remaining five pads.
2) With a more capable sequencer, e.g. Beatstep Pro, play two different melodic sequences simultaneously or alternately, using two different tuned percussion sounds on two different channels of the 3P. The sequencer can then simultaneously play a drum track on the remaining four channels of the 3P.
3) Set up the 3P together with a controller keyboard, five channels for playing drums, and the last channel for playing a tuned percussion sound chromatically with the keyboard. Many cheap controller keyboards even have a simple arpeggiator built in, so that could be used to lay down a simple melodic sequence or drum track, depending on the setup.

...etc.! :-D
bentstavanger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

Sponsor

Postby wartaler » 22 Dec 2018, 08:24

Hi,
Yes it does open up a lot of possibilities, also check here; with some tricks with MIDI in Cubase I was able to make a 6 voice polyphonic synth on which you can play chords with a keyboard nord-drum-forum-f27/synth-sounds-with-nd2-t7046.html?
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 22 Dec 2018, 08:27, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby bentstavanger » 22 Dec 2018, 13:24

wartaler wrote:Hi,
Yes it does open up a lot of possibilities, also check here; with some tricks with MIDI in Cubase I was able to make a 6 voice polyphonic synth on which you can play chords with a keyboard nord-drum-forum-f27/synth-sounds-with-nd2-t7046.html?
Albert

Yes, I've seen it. Good stuff! :-D
Last edited by bentstavanger on 22 Dec 2018, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
bentstavanger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

Previous

Return to Nord Drum Forum