Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

No resonance with sostenuto pedal?!

Postby soundscu » 14 Dec 2018, 03:42

I have just unpacked and set up my new Nord Piano 4.

The string resonance is lovely, particularly when holding a voicing in one hand while playing runs and staccato chords with the other. The keys that are held down resonate just as I expect, and was counting on. Bravo! But...

The result is not the same when I hold that same voicing with the sotenuto pedal. In a real piano, this is mechanically identical to holding the keys with my fingers — the dampers are up and the strings should resonate for just the keys that are sustained.

But they do not resonate when held with the sostenuto pedal. Is there a feature/function I need to enable? Or is this a design flaw? I am flabbergasted if this is a flaw, given that it’s the 4th iteration of the Nord instrument. Here’s hoping it’s just something I have to turn on.

Any help is always very much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Jim
soundscu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

No resonance with sostenuto pedal?!

Sponsor

Re: No resonance with sostenuto pedal?!

Postby CRClemens » 15 Dec 2018, 16:42

Hi Jim,

I can't help on your issue on the NP4, but I can confirm, that Nord knows how it HAS to work.

After reading your post here I directly tested it on my Stage 3. There it works fine as it is supposed to be working.

When I silently play a chord, then stepping on the sostenuto pedal the stringresonance is sounding correctly after playing corresponding tones. It also works with "loud" chords or tones, but it isn't as obvious.

Is the sostenuto pedal working fine on your NP4?
Maybe you need to change the pedal type(to triple pedal) in the system menu?!

If it is not working I assume that this may be a bug and needs to be reported to Clavia.

Good luck,
Clemens
CRClemens

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: No resonance with sostenuto pedal?!

Postby soundscu » 15 Dec 2018, 16:56

Nord support has confirmed that they are aware of the problem and it is already resolved in a new OS soon to be released. That is a relief!

Many thanks Clemens for confirming proper operation on the NP3. That’s also very reassuring.

Just in case anyone else stumbles on this thead searching for help, the OS version with the problem is 1.02, which I believe is the first version released. It’s likely that any version higher than that will have the problem corrected.

Jim
soundscu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum