This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

SW Keybed - too sensitive?

Postby spradders » 11 Dec 2018, 13:11

Hi folks, I have a 2EX Compact 73 with the SW keybed. I love the feel of it considering how light and compact the keyboard is. But, I'm finding it *too* sensitive when I'm playing quietly/lightly. My technique is probably the issue, but does anyone else find this? What's the solution? I've tried paying on the 2nd Dynamic setting which seems a bit better, although I still tend to ping notes a bit too heavily when I don't mean to.

Any thoughts? Thanks folks.
spradders
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

SW Keybed - too sensitive?

Sponsor

Re: SW Keybed - too sensitive?

Postby maxpiano » 11 Dec 2018, 13:55

If you want to increase sensitivity, particularly when playing "light", you should use Dynamic = 0 on Piano section, not 2
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Dec 2018, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
markd
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby spradders » 11 Dec 2018, 18:54

thanks @maxpiano - but it's the other way around. I'm trying to play nice and soft and sensitive and quiet but my clumsy fingers are way not consistent enough. It's ok when I'm whacking it at full volume. Just trying to work out if it's my poor playing, or if this is a common issue with that keybed, or if people solve it by adding compression / changing dynamic / finding some other setting. Thanks.
spradders
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby maxpiano » 11 Dec 2018, 19:34

spradders wrote:thanks @maxpiano - but it's the other way around. I'm trying to play nice and soft and sensitive and quiet but my clumsy fingers are way not consistent enough. It's ok when I'm whacking it at full volume. Just trying to work out if it's my poor playing, or if this is a common issue with that keybed, or if people solve it by adding compression / changing dynamic / finding some other setting. Thanks.

That's exactly what Dynamics = 0 is for, to enable playing soft/sensitive "pianissimo" on Acoustic Pianos also on the SW73 keybed; of course that setting will not do the job alone, you fingers need to be gentle and controlled too (which is a matter of exercise) and in any case it is hard to get the same sensitivity you get using a Hammer Action keyboard, you need to accept some compromise.
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Dec 2018, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum