This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Will Nord ever release stand alone modules?

Postby paulmapp8306 » 05 Dec 2018, 16:31

Asking this without expecting the answer in truth. Id LOVE an organ module. Basically the organ part of the stage 3 or electro 6d.

Im in need of a really nice organ sound, with drawbars BUT I have no space for another actual board, and both the stage 3 and electro mean loosing other sounds/functionality I have with my existing setup. A nice little box, containing the panel from the stage 3 only would be fantastic. Id pay as much as an Electro 6d costs for that module alone.
paulmapp8306

Will Nord ever release stand alone modules?

Sponsor

Re: Will Nord ever release stand alone modules?

Postby harmonizer » 05 Dec 2018, 16:53

Nord used to sell an Electro 2 module.
Sometimes you can find them for sale used.
I have no knowledge on how good the organ sound was on them.
The drawbars were electronic (similar to what is on the Electro 3 and Stage 2).

Just for fun, here is a thread which discusses someone who made a custom Stage module:
nord-stage-forum-f3/asteroids-papastamatakis-custom-stage-module-t13618.html
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby cphollis » 05 Dec 2018, 17:23

I seriously doubt it for many reasons.

First, they've had ample opportunity over the years, and haven't. Second, the market is for stand alone modules is much smaller than complete instruments. Third, it's harder for them to assure a great player experience as they have no idea what people would plug into their modules.

And, finally, the market for stand-alone modules is being eaten alive by software instruments.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby cphollis » 05 Dec 2018, 17:27

Also, if you're looking for an organ module, and don't want to use a software instrument, check out the Gemini
https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

Arguably the closest thing to a Nord-like module.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby paulmapp8306 » 05 Dec 2018, 17:28

as I thought. for me though:

1. I wont use soft instruments, im totally a hardware guy. Its for live use only, and I just dont use laptops/tablets. I accept Im in the minority.
2. the R&D for a module is done. sourcing a small box to put it in, for the sales (while less than a full blown keyboard) Id have thought was a no-brainer - as the have the accepted best virtual organs available.
3. As for a great player experience - unfortunately I think Nord keybeds are about the worst available in their price range. The waterfall is decent, but the rest.........

The Gemini is nice - but I need real drawbars on the module I go for.

Im considering the Ferrofish B4000+ and the Yamaha reface YCs (obviously not using the keys) - but not convinced either is better than I have at present - with for my organ tones is an RD2000 (though driven from a semi weighted synth).
Last edited by paulmapp8306 on 05 Dec 2018, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
paulmapp8306

Postby maxpiano » 05 Dec 2018, 17:49

KeybOrgan had the expander version of its KeybDuo, called KeyB Exp, but it is now discontinued (and the Viscount Legend series, which has replaced KeyB, doesn't include an expander version)

Maybe you can find one used.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Happy » 10 Dec 2018, 09:43

With the Electro 6 now being 3x multi-timbral and the high voice count it would make sense for a module. Not everyone wants to use software in studio or live situations and more keys for more sounds. Hopefully Nord will finally make it 90-264V instead of a separate 100-110/220-240V versions, keep the internal power supply, change it from module tot desktop format (still with rack ears as an option ), change the awkward steep angle the modules had so far to more flat for desktop use and open up SysEx for sample dumps and patches. Large LCD should allow to shrink it into module form. The draw-bars could be left out using an external USB MIDI (CC) device/box with a USB host port on the instrument and this have a choice of physical or digital draw-bars. It shouldn't need to be a large R&D investment since hardware redesign would not be needed. There are still people wanting modules. Ready to place an order for that...
Last edited by Happy on 10 Dec 2018, 09:58, edited 5 times in total.
Happy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby anotherscott » 10 Dec 2018, 18:13

paulmapp8306 wrote:The Gemini is nice - but I need real drawbars on the module I go for.

They make them... https://www.crumar.it/?a=page&p=D9U

You could also use your RD2000 sliders, or that Ferrofish piece (if you like the ergonomics but want a better sound), or some other 9-slider MIDI device (like the original Korg NanoKontrol). I think the Ferrofish might even be small enough to velcro to the top surface of the Gemini module, so the pair could effectively be moved/located/connected as a single piece.
anotherscott

Postby maxpiano » 10 Dec 2018, 18:18

anotherscott wrote:
paulmapp8306 wrote:The Gemini is nice - but I need real drawbars on the module I go for.

They make them... https://www.crumar.it/?a=page&p=D9U

You could also use your RD2000 sliders, or that Ferrofish piece (if you like the ergonomics but want a better sound), or some other 9-slider MIDI device (like the original Korg NanoKontrol). I think the Ferrofish might even be small enough to velcro to the top surface of the Gemini module, so the pair could effectively be moved/located/connected as a single piece.

Also Keyboardpartners.de (home of the HX3 clone) makes a more complete, but a little expensive, Hammond Drawbar controller HX3 DBC Drawbar Controller and the full module too HX3 DBE Drawbar Expander
Last edited by maxpiano on 10 Dec 2018, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to General Nord Forum