Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

NE 6D pitch bend

Postby simonbeck » 10 Nov 2018, 02:10

There is very little information available regarding pitch-bend on the Electro 6D.

I am using a Sonuus B2M pitch-to-MIDI converter which transmits pitch-bend data, and I can get the Nord to respond to pitch-bend, but only if the Sonuus unit is assigned as the lower manual. Should the Nord not respond to pitchbend regardless of which section the remote MIDI source is assigned to?
Communication is everything
simonbeck
FAQ Editor

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

NE 6D pitch bend

Sponsor

Re: NE 6D pitch bend

Postby Hackes » 08 Dec 2018, 14:06

Hello,
did you find a solution? I would be interested too. If I got you right, there is a way to have a pitchbend on the nord, when I send the correct MIDI data? I'm playing a NE6D73 and I'm very very lucky with it, but sometimes I miss the pitchbend.

Greeting, Hackes.
I just love the red ones. :P
Nord Electro 6D73
Hackes

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 08 Dec 2018, 16:13

It makes sense to me that the pitch bend is tied to the LO function, since that is the only part of the design associated with external MIDI control. On the Electro 5, external MIDI was part of the UPPER section, and that was the only section that recognized pitch bend.

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
simonbeckHackes
anotherscott

Postby Hackes » 10 Dec 2018, 09:24

Thanks for the quick answer!
I'm a little bit disappointed now. I hopped, this would be a solution for having a pitchbend. :sad:
I have to say, I stopped making music 16 years ago. Now I am back since very good friends persuaded me to form a band with them. :thumbup: We are six people and we are playing for two years, now. I'm still using a good old GEM WK8SE and a KETRON SD1000 which is connected to a laptop running Cubase. I retired my good old Yamaha and bought the Nord Electro 6.
You can imagine, a lot of things changed in 16 years. :shock: So I feel a little bit like a beginner again. Playing keyboard is like driving a bicycle. :D But the technique in the instruments changed a lot.
So if I get you right, there is no way to make the nord react to pitchbend data? I'm familiar with MIDI data, that wouldn't be the problem. In my point of view, the nord is divided in upper and lower parts, when I set a splitpoint, right? And the pitchbend is routed only to the lower part? What happens if I only use one voice, let's say the sample section. What is upper and what is lower?? :shock:
Second and last question. If I get you right, it wouldn't be possible to play the Nord via MIDI (cubase or another keyboard) because the upper part doesn't receive the MIDI data at all?

Sorry for these silly questions and sorry for my bad english. 8-)

Thanks and much greetings,
Hackes
Nord Electro 6D73

The author Hackes was thanked by:
simonbeck
Hackes

Postby anotherscott » 10 Dec 2018, 18:44

Hackes wrote:So if I get you right, there is no way to make the nord react to pitchbend data?

The Electro FIVE had "Upper" and "Lower" parts, and the external pitch bend was recognized by whatever sound you had assigned to the Upper part.
The Electro SIX has a different design, based on "instruments" (piano/organ/sample-synth) rather than "parts" (upper/lower). "LO" does not literally mean lower, it means whichever of the three instruments you choose to trigger from an external keyboard. I guess they called it LO because it would be commonly used for a Lower manual for an organ sound, but it can be used for anything you want, and it recognizes pitch bend. But AFAIK, unlike the 5, the only way to get pitch bend on the 6 is to play it from an external keyboard. Because when you assign a sound to LO (which really means "assign it to an external keyboard"), that sound is no longer playable from the internal keys (and assigning it to LO is the only way to ge it to recognize pitch bend). At least this is how the manual reads to me, I haven't played a 6 personally.

In case further clarification helps...
Hackes wrote:In my point of view, the nord is divided in upper and lower parts, when I set a splitpoint, right?

No, that kind of describes the way the 5 worked, but not the 6.

Hackes wrote:What happens if I only use one voice, let's say the sample section. What is upper and what is lower??

On the 5, the sample sound would be upper if you invoked it in the Upper section, and it would be lower if you invoked it in the Lower section. Despite the upper/lower nomenclature, either section could occupy the full range of the keyboard. In fact, assigning one sound to Upper and another sound to Lower while NOT enabling a split point is how you would do a full keyboard layer. But regardless, AFAIK, only the sound assigned to Upper would respond to pitch bend.

On the 6, you can similarly assign your sample sound to the full keyboard, or a split portion of it, though it is done by selecting an instrument and telling it what keys you want it on (as opposed to on the 5 where you did the reverse, i.e. select a key range and tell it what sound you want it to have). But on the 6, there is no Upper/Lower distinction per se in terms of the operation of the board. Instead, there is an Internal/External distinction, and External is what they call LO.

The author anotherscott was thanked by 3 members, including:
Ron WehrenssimonbeckHackes
anotherscott

Postby Hackes » 11 Dec 2018, 11:24

Hello Anotherscott,

thank you very much for the very detailed answer!!! You brought a lot of light into the darkness. :thumbup:

I red the manual and I came to the part where they talked about assigning the "lower" part to an external Keybord, i.e. for playing organs. I thought, that I understood it, but you clarified it. As I mentioned before, technique change a lot in the last years (for me). I red a lot about the NE5 and the NE6 before I decided to buy the NE6, but I never recognised the different behaviour.
So thank you a lot. :thumbup: I will give it a try as soon as there will be time for it.

Much greetings, Hackes.
Nord Electro 6D73
Hackes

Return to Nord Electro Forum