Let's do the Rhodes poll.

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Pick your favorite or most-used Rhodes from the Nord Library:

You may select 1 option

View results

daniel70

Re: Let's do the Rhodes poll.

Post by daniel70 »

After a lot of trying and tweaking with several Rhodes samples i fell in love with the ep7 amped tines for the first time! I cut the bass on the eq at -10, the low mids at about 500khz at -5 and boost the treble about +5 (or perhaps less or no treble boost). In the past I didn’t like the sound because of some annoying frequencies - this seems to be much better now with this eq-settings. At least through my active speaker here at home. Today evening i will hear how it sounds through the speakers in the rehearsal room. Then a little bit of drive and the velocity (Nord Stage 2, hammer action) at the lightest touch, so I feel I have more control to the sound, which is a little „boomy“ at certain ranges. I know this seems to be a little bit paradox, a light touch for more control, but I feel so...

I also tweak the Nefertiti cutting the low mids (not so much) and the bass to make it more "slim".
Last edited by daniel70 on 19 Apr 2018, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.
MescaL636
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by MescaL636 »

Someone on this forum (sorry can't recall!) posted a recording of the ambient noise of each key of their Rhodes. I layer that as a sample at low volume over the EP1, with a few EQ tweaks I can't recall. Gives it a bit more of an authentic feel and additional bell character that may/may not be desirable, but I find it punches through a bit better in a loud band setting without sounding too cheesy.
daniel70

Post by daniel70 »

ebowen4221 wrote:Man, the Chick Corea Spain rhodes is getting no love!
No, i like this „shallow“ sample very much! It has much bark and character, just like the George Duke Rhodes in the seventies... but you must tweak it a little bit with the eq. By the way: Cory Henry used it recently as played a Nord Stage at the Montreux Jazz Festival.
baekgaard
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by baekgaard »

daniel70 wrote:By the way: Cory Henry used it recently as played a Nord Stage at the Montreux Jazz Festival.
Is this online somewhere?
daniel70

Post by daniel70 »

These users thanked the author daniel70 for the post:
baekgaard
kirsty
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by kirsty »

daniel70 wrote:
Fabulous!

First thing that drew my eye was he has the Nord wired up in Mono ;) Only one output there :D

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
daniel70

Post by daniel70 »

What do you think - will Nord give us a big Rhodes sample as a christmas gift this year? ;-)
leonardo 1

Post by leonardo 1 »

I hope in a new rhodes ... Unfortunately according to which Ns one has the response of the rhodes is different ... On the ns 3 ep2 is not as good as on the ns2 .. While Nefertiti on the ns 3 is very safe ... We need a lot work with equalization ... I hope in a new Rhodes this Christmas ... I hope so much
daniel70

Post by daniel70 »

Sometimes i didn‘t like the Mark V sample very much, but this changed my opinion once more:
Awesome solo by Michael Hornek starting at about 5:00. The Mark V sounds really great here, for my taste it couldn‘t be better.
Last edited by daniel70 on 02 Dec 2020, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author daniel70 for the post:
Mr_-G-
Tomasz
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by Tomasz »

daniel70 wrote:
I didn't know there are people out there that know Passport! Fantastic live!!