Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 4 introduced

Postby Quai34 » 14 Jul 2018, 10:27

Yeah, you should ask for Royalties!!!
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby jb1979 » 14 Jul 2018, 16:09

jazzfoto wrote:From another thread: "NP3 keybeds manufactured AFTER serial # PD11184 have a newer thicker felt pad installed in the lower chassis to prevent the clacking noise."

Thanks for this tip!
jb1979

Postby mixaudio » 01 Dec 2018, 08:05

As a previous owner of a NS2, I've been hoping that the newer Nord Pianos would improve on that connection between a great weighted/dynamic keyboard action and the superb piano samples. I couldn't get used to the weight/resistance from the keys, always feeling that it didn't take much effort to trigger the higher velocities. This made it hard to get enough "steps" of dynamic feel.

From what I'm reading on some posts here, seems like the keyboard action on the NP4 has not had any important upgrade. It is disappointing that Nord invests on such piano sample quality, yet the instrument is not paired with a keybed that makes it justice.

I wonder if this would have to do with keeping the overall weight of the instrument at 40 lbs. yet I've tested other stage pianos like the Yamaha CP4, which with a similar weight spec feature a more realistic keyboard action, better suited for piano performance.
mixaudio

Postby mixaudio » 01 Dec 2018, 08:11

BTW, another feature I really miss on Nord Pianos (also seems to be missing on NP4) is the lack of layering sounds by keyboard zones.

From manual and review descriptions, I've understood that it's either a full layer with both engines using the entire keyboard… or a split.

How about having acoustic piano on the full keyboard and then layer strings or a pad only on the upper 5 octaves?

Would anybody know of a workaround to do this type of zoned layering on a NP4?
mixaudio

Postby baekgaard » 01 Dec 2018, 15:26

@mixaudio: It's probably best if you would be able to try it out.

I think that the keyboard and the velocity responses are constantly tweaked for each new generation, and to me, the NP4 feels nice to play and it is (and feels) definitely "heavier" than e.g. the NS3 keys are.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
mixaudio
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby SteveNordP3 » 01 Dec 2018, 15:29

mixaudio wrote:BTW, another feature I really miss on Nord Pianos (also seems to be missing on NP4) is the lack of layering sounds by keyboard zones.

From manual and review descriptions, I've understood that it's either a full layer with both engines using the entire keyboard… or a split.

How about having acoustic piano on the full keyboard and then layer strings or a pad only on the upper 5 octaves?

Would anybody know of a workaround to do this type of zoned layering on a NP4?

I asked the same question for the NP3 - in this string you’ll find a workaround (too complicated for me but maybe not for you) and a link to another thread with the same question.

Doesn’t seem easy - unless the NP4 has a capability the NP3 doesn’t....

Good luck!

nord-piano-forum-f10/assign-sample-to-specific-key-range-on-piano-3-t12706.html

The author SteveNordP3 was thanked by:
mixaudio
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby cphollis » 01 Dec 2018, 23:29

Got my NP4 today, just spent the last 3 hours getting into it. Bottom line: I like it a lot.

The Fatar action is probably one of the nicest weighted DP actions I've ever played, and I've played all of the DP actions (Fatar and non-Fatar) at one time or another. Much more satisfying than my NP2 or NS3. I like the weight and the feel, and I can be much more expressive between ppp-fff. I haven't tried the repetition thing yet, though. But, for me, the action is definitely a winner. A bit tight at present, but will certainly loosen up a smidge before long.

And for you piano action purists, suck it up and get a real grand piano.

What got me going toward the NP4 over my current NP2 was that I'm now in a trio where it's all AP, all the time. I get a chance to stretch out and get all kinds of expressive. Not an issue when you're playing in a louder electric band. So I was looking for something that would let me get more expressive with my APs. Mission accomplished.

The feature upgrades are nice as well -- more memory, more control over the samples, etc. Not a whole lot of differences with the piano section as compared to my NS3 Compact, which is to be expected.

I have several hours of work ahead of me to load up my favorite pianos and samples, and go about re-creating 40+ patches. Other than that, it should easily slip into my rigs. The NP2 will be up for sale before long.

So far, a great purchase that I'm happy about.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by 2 members, including:
baekgaardmixaudio
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby mixaudio » 01 Dec 2018, 23:36

SteveNordP3 wrote:Doesn’t seem easy - unless the NP4 has a capability the NP3 doesn’t....

nord-piano-forum-f10/assign-sample-to-specific-key-range-on-piano-3-t12706.html

Yes, editing the sample file as described there, to limit the keyboard range seems a bit complicated indeed. I wish this was implemented in the user interface as a function and you could define a keyboard range for each layer and they could overlap in a certain range.

The purpose to me is very specific: when adding a string or pad layer and blending it in with the piano using a pedal, I'd prefer not have any of the strings/pad notes from the lower couple of octaves as that adds too much of a "bassy" sound that conflicts with the more defined and articulated sound of the bass piano notes in that lower range.
mixaudio

Postby mixaudio » 01 Dec 2018, 23:39

baekgaard wrote:@mixaudio: It's probably best if you would be able to try it out.

I think that the keyboard and the velocity responses are constantly tweaked for each new generation, and to me, the NP4 feels nice to play and it is (and feels) definitely "heavier" than e.g. the NS3 keys are.

Valuable info to consider, thanks baekgaard.

The author mixaudio was thanked by:
baekgaard
mixaudio

Postby mixaudio » 02 Dec 2018, 00:13

Valuable info cphollis.

As for:
cphollis wrote:And for you piano action purists, suck it up and get a real grand piano.
It would be hard to carry one of those around… even if that offers the advantage of not carrying a pair of K10s and cables (a pair because I haven't been able to get used to monitor from a mono sound system).

I understand that there must be a certain compromise from not having the actual real mechanism from a grand piano. Still, I've tried keyboards that are not too heavy to carry around (Kawai MP7 at 46 lbs. and Yamaha CP4 at 40 lbs.) and their keyboard action seems to do a better "trick" at recreating that "illusion" of the mechanics, weight, resistance from the keys and also at connecting nicely with the piano samples.

I also think it may have to do with featuring more realistic velocity curves. So even if the keyboard action does not offer a weight or resistance comparable to the mechanism from a real grand, a more realistic velocity curve helps in creating a better "illusion" as it takes more strength and effort to bring out the louder/brighter sound from the piano.

I know my opinion at this point is a bit biased as I've only had and tested a NS2. To me the velocity curves offered in NS2 seemed like the first two in the graph below, rather than something like the fourth one in the same graph, which I think would be more desirable to achieve a more dynamic and expressive connection with Nord's piano samples.
Attachments
Velocity curves.jpg
Velocity curves.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
Last edited by mixaudio on 02 Dec 2018, 00:19, edited 3 times in total.
mixaudio

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum