Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord pad (ND2) setup

Postby EricDeluxe » 27 Nov 2018, 20:45

Hi

Checked the manual about setting up Nord Pad for ND2. I don't get how to get the pad setting right.

I use it as a "hand trigger" setting, but I don't get any sound or midi when hitting the pads. The Cat cable is connected. I get sound and midi when using the "Trig/Tap" button on ND2.
According to the menu I should change the setting with Shift + Inp Thres and Inp Sens are the trick.

Any recommended settings here?

Thanks!
Work like you don't need the money
Love like you never been hurt and
Dance like nobody is watching.

Mark Twain with a twist!
EricDeluxe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 2

Nord pad (ND2) setup

Sponsor

Re: Nord pad (ND2) setup

Postby wartaler » 28 Nov 2018, 00:06

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum!

Lowering the threshold and raising the sensitivity normally helps. If the threshold is too high, it won't respond to your hands tapping the pads. Therefore I would just start by lowering the threshold quite a bit and raising the sensitivity.

Then check the cable: it should be easier to trigger the Nord drum with a stick than with your hands, do the channel lights light up when you hit the pads with a stick? If not, perhaps the cable is bad or unsuitable, or one of the ports is dirty or broken (which I doubt), inspect the ports, try another Cat6 cable..

If you do see the lights blinking I would expect the ND2 to output MIDI notes, did you check this with MIDI monitor software? If you don't hear anything when you do see the lights blinking, it could be that Local is off in the MIDI settings, turn Local On.

Optimizing the sensitivity, threshold and dynamics response curve setting to your playing style may take some time, I find the manual quite helpful on pages 25 and 26. Just one remark: you may experience spontaneous triggering with too low threshold settings, and cross talk between pads with too high sensitivity settings. It's also worthwhile to experiment with the various dynamic response curves, some will make it easier to reach higher velocities, others quite the opposite.

Hope this helps,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 03 Dec 2018, 21:40, edited 9 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum