Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: NLA1 - clarification of global vibrato

Postby CountFosco » 20 Nov 2018, 23:42

Well, like I said, I've never run into a limitation due to those global vibrato settings, but like I also said I'm not pushing any boundaries. And the situation described in the OP wasn't going to be limited by them. I made an offhand suggestion that you could probably use an LFO to similate a second vibrato effect, which you can.

What I would be interested in, for my own education, is if you could go into a bit more detail about those times that the stupidly limited global vibrato settings limited you.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby CountFosco » 21 Nov 2018, 16:11

Duplobaustein wrote:The amount and rate settings are global for all patches.

I'm going to eat a piece of humble pie, I guess I didn't look into the vibrato settings as deeply as I should have, and I didn't read the very first thing you said carefully enough. I figured global meant global per performance, not global as in those settings are in the Sound Menu. And I thought the limitation you were describing was wanting to have two (or more) simultaneous patches with their own vibrato rates/amounts, which I thought would be an unusual requirement. I can see what you mean now, and how it could be limiting. I'm not really a fan of continuous vibrato on synth patches, I never use it, and always control the vibrato amount by using the wheel. And the default rate of 6 Hz always worked OK for me, so I never looked to change it. That's probably why I never ran into those settings. Peace Tiger!
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Duplobaustein » 22 Nov 2018, 14:52

Hehe, peace man! :thumbup:
Duplobaustein

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

Postby artofmoog » 22 Nov 2018, 22:34

I use the A1 (and A1Rs) a lot. I find the global vibrato feature very weird, but in a strange way I don't dislike it. I mean, it is just that - vibrato. As a modulation source it can't go anywhere else. For other needs, there's the LFO. Written down, it seems terribly limiting. But you can say that about lots of aspects of the A1, and yet in practice it's a belter of a synth. :)

The one way I do sometimes think about the global vibrato, though, is this. Nord probably intended A1 users to do vibrato manually, using the pitch stick. That's really possible of course, because of the nicely judged resistance and fluid left/right motion, as opposed to a traditional centre detent pitch bend wheel (which is lousy for vibrato, though good for bends).

Either way, it's all part of the character.

The author artofmoog was thanked by:
kelpchofs
artofmoog

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Previous

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum