Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Any way to get the Nord Drum 3p to....

Postby whitecat » 20 Nov 2018, 18:38

output a fixed velocity of 127 to a sampler? I use the Nord Drum 3P combined with an AKAI MPX8. For one of my kits, I use the bottom 3 pads to play sounds from the 3P itself. The top 3 pads are triggering loops from the AKAI MPX8. I have assigned all of the MIDI note numbers accordingly and the MPX8 has no problems detecting the 3P... been triggering the MPX8 very well using the 3P. I would however like to send a fixed velocity of 127 from the 3P to the MPX8 every time I play each pad of 3P. Is there a way to do this?
whitecat

Any way to get the Nord Drum 3p to....

Sponsor

Re: Any way to get the Nord Drum 3p to....

Postby pablomastodon » 20 Nov 2018, 18:47

Hi Whitecat,

Sorry to be w "wiseguy," but the obvious answer would be to hit those pads really hard each time. Or you could insert a hardware or software device between the two to map those velocities. There is no way to force the Nord unit to do this.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby whitecat » 20 Nov 2018, 18:48

pablomastodon wrote:Or you could insert a hardware or software device between the two to map those velocities.

Thanks for your reply. Could you give me an example of a hardware device that can do this?
whitecat

Postby wartaler » 20 Nov 2018, 19:48

Hi whitecat,

Perhaps you can try a compressed velocity curve ('Offset level curves') on the Nord drum, reduces dynamics but not completely..(or doesn't the velocity curve translate to MIDI velocity values?)

Modify velocity values:
-The MIDI Solutions Event Processor (/Plus) probably can do it, but unfortunately this unit is powered over MIDI, Nord products will not power it
-Bome Bomebox, I think it should be able to do it, you have to program it with an editor, but best to double check if I'm correct

Doesn't the sampler have a mode in which it plays notes at full velocity?
Edit: no, doesn't seem to have any velocity options..

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 04 Dec 2018, 22:57, edited 9 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby pablomastodon » 20 Nov 2018, 20:36

Digital Music Corp MX-8 can do this.

In the "heyday" of midi there were many creative people making many useful devices, and the MX-8 was one of the best. Among many other things, it has an available midi "compander" feature via which velocity ranges can be manipulated; it includes a level setting. Just set it to 127 and you're good.

Everybody and anybody doing stuff with midi should want at least one MX-8 in their rig. They are AMAZING and solid as a tank coming up on 30 years old. For a time they could be had all day on ebay for $50, but people in the know apparently have started grabbing them judging by current ebay pricing

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
wartaler
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Drum Forum