Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

I've got a problem.

Postby Moses2 » 11 Nov 2018, 06:16

Love my HA88 Nord piano 2. Playing a jazz gig ( I have some heavy hands at time) the keyboard changes presets. I can be playing a black upright in location 2, and it jumps to 3 and then maybe 4.
Anybody else have such a problem?
Moses2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

I've got a problem.

Sponsor

Re: I've got a problem.

Postby SteveNordP3 » 11 Nov 2018, 15:12

I have a similar problem with my NP3 only it’s about turning on effects I don’t want on. I don’t know how my fingers get out of alignment enough to turn on effects buttons but I guess it’s easier than imagined....

The author SteveNordP3 was thanked by:
Moses2
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Moses2 » 12 Nov 2018, 01:21

Thanks Steve. I think I might open it up and see if there is anything obvious. I don't think I'm hitting the preset button, but it randomly happens while playing by them. Thought maybe a vibration, something. I can play pretty hard at times. Years ago I had a Rhodes Chroma that would change patches out of the blue. I remember playing Owner of a Lonely Heart one night, and during the horn stabs before the ascending chords to the guitar solo, the friggin thing changed to cattle stampeding with gunshots. Hysterical.
Last edited by Moses2 on 12 Nov 2018, 01:22, edited 2 times in total.
Moses2

Postby cphollis » 12 Nov 2018, 06:00

I had a similar incident a while back. BTW, I've been playing NP2 88s for years. Love mine, but there's an upgrade coming soon! I'd hit a button, and it would transpose, or go into some alternate voicing, or whatever. In the heat of battle, I didn't know what to do.

I figured out that -- yes -- I had brushed a sensitive button when I was doing my heavy handed thing. I can be a cave man when it gets going. The NP2 takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Less heat was the answer for me.

Turns out I was playing heavy handed for all the wrong reasons -- amplification, band level, etc. Less flailing is good, right?
Fixed that behavior, and it never happened again. BTW, there have been a lot of unproductive playing behaviors I've exorcised over the years, this being just one of them.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Moses2
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Moses2 » 12 Nov 2018, 15:05

My friend, it is good to hear from you. You are spot on with a bad habit this old man has to change. My bass player said the same thing. You getting me started with the NP2, the QSC K8s and the SS has brought the fun back into the gig. It's going to be like dieting, or any discipline, but I am going to defeat the heavy hand and move on to better playing. What is the upgrade you're going to do NP4?
Moses2

Postby cphollis » 15 Nov 2018, 02:03

Hey Moses2, good to hear from you! Glad you're having fun at gigs. For me, that's about all that matters these days.

After many years on the NP2, the NP4 is now calling to me. I'm using my NP2 as a midi controller on my Stage 3 Compact, and I have grown addicted to the larger piano and instrument samples. I'm also giving up half of my Stage 3 in the process, and I now want to use the whole instrument.

That, and there are plenty of anecdotal stories about the NP4 action actually achieving what the NP3 action set out to do. We'll see, but it's on the list now.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby lawman » 16 Nov 2018, 10:49

Gentlemen,
On an acoustic piano, it is much more difficult to play softly than loudly, and the same skill is also useful on my NP3. Anyone can bang around like a gorilla, but playing more softly increases your speed capability and your endurance, not to mention your finesse and ability to play expressively in an acoustic environment.
lawman

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum