General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Program up and down pedal. works with program not song mode

Postby Knuckles » 09 Nov 2018, 22:17

Hello NS3 experts I need assistance in getting a digitech switch to work when plugged into the program up and down peddle.

When in NS3 program mode, the digitech up and down switch works perfectly in secquential numeric order.

When I turn on song mode, the songs do not page up or down in numeric order. Instead of advancing to the next song in song mode numerically, the NS3 changes the preprogramed program assigned to that specific song.

In live performance, I have little time to change from one song to the next . I use the Nord Sound manager to organize /list my songs(containing the specific programs) in set list order. The band rolls songs. So using the foot switch to go to up to the next song would be great without changing the program (patch) assigned to the song.

I have included a pic of the digitech switch if that helps. IMG_3474.jpg

help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_3474.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 3099 times
Knuckles

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Program up and down pedal. works with program not song mode

Sponsor

Re: Program up and down pedal. works with program not song

Postby Ivan Jochner » 10 Nov 2018, 00:39

Knuckles wrote:In live performance, I have little time to change from one song to the next . I use the Nord Sound manager to organize /list my songs(containing the specific programs) in set list order.

If you prepped everything in order, why not to use just knob for turning the next song???

( Seamless transitioning works well on songs too))
Last edited by Ivan Jochner on 10 Nov 2018, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Patchmaker
Nord Stage 3 Compact /Yamaha Motif XS 7
Yamaha MODX 7 / (past gear) Roland Integra
Ivan Jochner
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Knuckles » 10 Nov 2018, 04:47

ivan. thanks for the response. What you suggested is exactly what I do. use the NS3 knob to page thru the song list . But it seems to me that if you can change NS3 programs either up or down with a swtich; why can't the NS3 do it in song mode.

My Korg Kronos has a set list section of the unit. The set list songs are all displayed where I just touch the screen for the next song. The KRONOS can also color code each song in set list mode making it easier to see. Given I use both keyboards, I would think that the NS3 has that ability to page through each song using a switch. Yes I can use the knob; but why not using a switch. Apparently not.

Also in live performance, sometimes certain songs are skipped. Easy to jump around on the Kronos since 25 songs/related patches are visable on the screen.. Not so with the NS3 which lists one song at a time in order that they were placed by the sound manage.r No bashing NS3 as it is a great unit. But if you can toggle up in program mode; why not in song mode.
Perhaps this can be improved or if a BUG; fixed.
thanks again
K
Knuckles

Postby CRClemens » 10 Nov 2018, 10:09

I think this is how it should behave. Most people need to change "hands free" between songparts. And this is what the pedal does.
A work around for you is to use one bank of the program list as your set list or to use a midi-based extern solution on your iPad, that switches between the songs when you step on a connected Bluetooth pedal.

But please send a request to the Nord headquarters, maybe it is possible to change this behaviour by adding a setting in the menu to switch between toggling the Song parts or toggling the Song itself.

Greets Clemens
CRClemens

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Quai34 » 10 Nov 2018, 12:06

A lot of people coming from the Kronos try to replicate the Kronos behaviour or assume that the stage could do it as well as it's the flagship product for Nord....But the philosophy is different, no screen, no deep menues etc, just a lot of knobs that are here to be used....
The Song list mode in the stage 3 is basic, not as deep as the one on the Kronos,so, yes, the solution is to use Setlist maker and to trigger ALL the program changes from the ipad, it works like a charm...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Ivan Jochner » 10 Nov 2018, 12:24

Knuckles wrote: Given I use both keyboards, I would think that the NS3 has that ability to page through each song using a switch. Yes I can use the knob; but why not using a switch. Apparently not.
K

Even if we have an option in the new update switching Songs via pedals, we still will be struggling,i think.
Example: Song Mode.
Using switch pedal changing songs, we loose ability to change programms in the Song mode.
On the other hand, switching programms in the song, we loose a chance changing Songs .

In both cases we stil need to reach /press a knob to activate differend Song /Programm modes to use pedals live.

The only method would work, its a two different jack inserts ,one for Song change another one for Programm change in the song.
Last edited by Ivan Jochner on 10 Nov 2018, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.
Patchmaker
Ivan Jochner
Patch Creator

Postby Bjosko » 10 Nov 2018, 12:25

It could be nice if a double tap on the next/previous button change the song up/down, single tap for next program in the song.
Personally, I already have to much pedals and buttons on the floor, so I can’t manage more foot controllers :shock:
What I have tried to do, are using OnSong on my iPad, and from that send program change to the NS. Not done yet, but are a future plan.
/Bjørn
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Ivan Jochner » 10 Nov 2018, 14:29

Bjosko wrote:It could be nice if a double tap on the next/previous button change the song up/down, single tap for next program in the song.

That's might be a good solution! :thumbup:
Last edited by Ivan Jochner on 10 Nov 2018, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
Patchmaker
Ivan Jochner
Patch Creator

Postby Quai34 » 11 Nov 2018, 06:17

Bjosko wrote:It could be nice if a double tap on the next/previous button change the song up/down, single tap for next program in the song.
Personally, I already have to much pedals and buttons on the floor, so I can’t manage more foot controllers :shock:
What I have tried to do, are using OnSong on my iPad, and from that send program change to the NS. Not done yet, but are a future plan.

I do too, have too much pedal....The only place where I could have a two buttons to switch songs could be on top of the Tripple pedal, there is enough room for a double Bluetooth buttons
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby KeyFrog2 » 13 Nov 2018, 10:54

Not sure if this helps, just as an idea:
I've made an incremental up/down MIDI food switch for my ns2EX on my own to change programs. It "listens" to the MIDI OUT of the NS to catch program changes that are done on the NS panel itself. Pressing on the foot switch will always initiate an incremental program change starting from the actually chosen program of the NS. Please see here :
nord-stage-forum-f3/incremental-program-change-foot-switch-for-ns2ex-et-al-t16315.html.
This is set up for the NS2.

Now NS3 has program and song mode. According to the english manual page 51, program change commands can be used for changing program and song banks. Also the MIDI controller list (page 59) mentions song mode (#3) and song part (#5), so there seems to be some MIDI functionality for the song mode, too. This could open the possibility to control song list changes via MIDI from a similar device as I mentioned above. Only the program / software would have to be changed.

First, it is required to check the MIDI OUT commands from the NS3 when changing a song or song part and to see, how NS3 reacts on MIDI IN commands, when in song mode. Maybe Nord support can help. Or this could be found out with e.g. MIDI-OX and a simple MIDI-USB-Interface. Unfortunately I have no NS3 (only NS2EX), but if someone could find out the required MIDI commands, I could try to support and consult at setting up the software (Arduino).
Or you could hand over your NS3 to me for a while, so I could try ... :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by KeyFrog2 on 13 Nov 2018, 11:51, edited 3 times in total.
KeyFrog2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum