This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: hi i will ask you guys for something

Postby analogika » 10 Nov 2018, 14:01

Also — with all respect — from the way the question is worded, and the suggestion for a solution, I’m somewhat doubtful that using such hardware is going to do a better job than whoever is in charge of the front of house.

Fine-tuning EQ for a venue/PA is a difficult job for someone with experience and know-how. The original poster — again, with all respect — does not sound like he is an experienced sound technician or has lots of experience adapting his sound to lots of different venues or PAs.

The odds are that adding something as complex as a ten-band EQ to his rig at this point is going to make things much more complicated without providing a real improvement.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 10 Nov 2018, 16:34

Gambold wrote:>Properly EQing the keyboard sound for the room is the job of the sound technician. <

The sound guy?? Gads, never trust anything having to do with keyboard amplification to the sound guy.

90% of my gigs these days, we don't even have a sound guy.

CountFosco wrote:As others pointed out, you already have onboard 3 band EQ.

That's not for adjusting for a given amp or given room, because it is not global, it is stored as part of each program. There are some boards that have a separate global EQ, but not Nord. Los of people put their boards through mixers, though, and you can often get EQ there as well.
anotherscott

Postby emmrecs » 23 Nov 2018, 22:54

Just to add my two pence of thoughts:

By "profession" I'm a musician (at least that's how I earned my living before I retired, by teaching and playing), I'm also a "sound guy" (by experience, some training) and a great believer in the philosophy that I should eq for the room and leave the players/singers to establish their "own sound" (mics will typically have minimal eq applied, similarly instruments). Given all this, one of my least favourite sound engineering situations is when a player arrives with one or more FX pedals he/she wishes to use.

Some of these can be of excellent quality and really enhance the sound - I'm especially thinking here of an electro-acoustic guitarist who very carefully selected his set of pedals and custom-built them to fit a "carrying board", with integral power supply, paying particular attention to the "noise" they generated.

But, and here's the point for the OP, almost ALL such pedals, unless they are very carefully built and isolated from their power supply, will generate "noise" (HF and, possibly, MF hiss, LF hum, etc.) In such circumstances the sound engineer will almost inevitably have to eq the sound arriving at the mixing desk to try to at least partially reduce this noise. The OP, if he "hears" his sound is not now as bright as he would like, may thus increase the levels of the higher frequency bands of that EQ unit, = more hiss, = the engineer must seek to reduce the HF even further. A similar situation can occur when the engineer seeks to reduce the "hum", by reducing the LF, the player senses a loss of "bass" so increases the LF bands of that EQ unit.

Who wins this "battle"? Certainly not the audience! :evil:

(Just my opinion!!)
emmrecs

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Mr_-G- » 23 Nov 2018, 23:02

Noise gate?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby emmrecs » 24 Nov 2018, 11:15

Mr_-G- wrote:Noise gate?

So, add another "item" in the chain, designed to correct the problems created by an earlier one?? :angel: :angel:
emmrecs

Postby Mr_-G- » 24 Nov 2018, 12:28

Well, yes, they were designed for that.
Otherwise what were you expecting? Psychoacoustic cloaking? Divine intervention? :-)
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby emmrecs » 24 Nov 2018, 12:37

Mr_-G- wrote:Well, yes, they were designed for that.
Otherwise what were you expecting? Psychoacoustic cloaking? Divine intervention? :-)

No, but a "minimal" signal path is always preferable, is it not??
emmrecs

Postby analogika » 24 Nov 2018, 12:50

emmrecs wrote:
Mr_-G- wrote:Well, yes, they were designed for that.

No, but a "minimal" signal path is always preferable, is it not??

Obviously. Unless it doesn’t comply with the needs of a particular situation. Which is kind of why this thread exists.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
analogika

Postby emmrecs » 24 Nov 2018, 13:27

analogika wrote:No, but a "minimal" signal path is always preferable, is it not??
Obviously. Unless it doesn’t comply with the needs of a particular situation. Which is kind of why this thread exists.

I actually fully agree with you, but my reading of this thread, in which the OP was asked at least once to explain more about "his music" and why he feels that the EQ pedal he linked might "solve" his "problem", has shown the discussion has tended to broaden somewhat and my original comment was my opinion on what might be the unwanted outcome of using that EQ pedal. (I did try to find any published "noise" figures for the unit, but failed. However I did see it does have its own noise gate built in.)

However, I still contend that introducing two of these units (for stereo output) into his signal chain runs a high risk of actually degrading his sound, for the reasons I gave earlier.

I have absolutely no desire for this thread to become an argument; I realise you disagree with at least some of what I wrote and I fully accept that without any reservation or caveat. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The author emmrecs was thanked by:
analogika
emmrecs

Postby analogika » 24 Nov 2018, 17:34

Oh no, I’ve written previously that given the tone of his post and the question itself, it is unlikely that the original poster is going to benefit from these EQ pedals.

We’re good, man. :)

The author analogika was thanked by:
emmrecs
analogika

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum