General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3 OS1.52 UPDATE; VOLUME PEDAL NO LONGER WORKS??

Postby Knuckles » 08 Nov 2018, 21:09

Last night prior to my band rehearsal, I updated my NS3 to the latest OS 1.52. With prior NS3 OS updates, I always plugged my volume pedal to control overall NS3 volume into the Organ swell jack on the back. It worked very well. No problems with any of the prior OS updates.

Now when I plug the volume pedal into the organ swell, it does nothing. It doesnt control the overall volume any more from the organ swell jack.

So I am looking for a NS3OS 1.52 solution/instructions to use my volume pedal as done with the previous OS versions and organ swell jack.

While I am at it.......I also want to begin using a sustain pedal with my NS3. Previously, I just didn't use a sustain pedal at all with the nord.. Most sustain with live performance would be done with my Korg Kronos. I tried to limit my pedals to three. two volume pedals for each keyboard and one sustain for the Kronos. But I now have patches on the NS3 that requires sustain. So easiest solution. Go to four pedals

Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated on my issues. The biggest concern however is controlling NS3 volumes with a volume pedal. Critical for live performances. ......and NS3 .

Help please.
All the Best
Knuckles
Knuckles

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NS3 OS1.52 UPDATE; VOLUME PEDAL NO LONGER WORKS??

Sponsor

Re: NS3 OS1.52 UPDATE; VOLUME PEDAL NO LONGER WORKS??

Postby Bjosko » 08 Nov 2018, 21:27

Hi
There is a new manual for the software ver 5.x
Perhaps System menu 12 might help , espacially the Function part. Here a copy from the manual, found at nordkeyboards.com:

12 - SWell Pedal tYPe
this setting configures a pedal attached to the ORGAN SWELL jack. See “Ctrl Pedal type” above for details.
Range: Roland EV7 (default), Yamaha FC-7, Korg, Fatar (and Studiologic)
FUNC (FUNCtIoN)
this setting configure the Swell Pedal destination. Set this to Swell if you want this pedal to act as a Swell pedal for the organ, or to volume if it should control the volume of all the Nord Stage 3 sound engines.
Range: Swell (Default), Volume
gaIN
this setting allows you to add some gain to the output of the pedal. this can be used if an attached pedal does not reach the maximum level or setting.
Range: 1 - 10
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
pablomastodon
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Knuckles » 09 Nov 2018, 21:50

Bjosko I wanted to thank you for the insighton external pedals I now have both the organ swell (controls all program volume ) and sustain pedal working correctly.

I also downloaded the new 1.52 manual so I now have that as reference.

Much appreciated,
thanks again, Knuckles.
Knuckles

Postby baekgaard » 10 Nov 2018, 13:19

@Knuckles: Not sure if I missed something, but as far as I know, the behavior of the pedals hasn't changed (in this respect -- only for DualKB) in 1.5x. The swell pedals has always had those two options (swell or volume) and the control pedal can be used to either as control (where it can morph the volume) or control plus swell. I normally have mine plugged into the control pedal and have it setup as both control+swell.

Maybe your previous settings for the swell pedal was set to volume, and it somehow (maybe in connection with the upgrade) got changed to swell?

As for the sustain, there are situations where you can have one keyboard send sustain (and also volume) via MIDI (but not key events), which could maybe be setup -- the Nord manual calls this "Non-Keyboard Extern Setup".

I have no idea with your Kronos, but on the Nord you could potentially connect the sustain pedal and connect MIDI out on the Nord to MIDI in on the Kronos. You then disable the global MIDI channel, but enable the extern section on the relevant channel in the programs you use on the Nord, and select the "non-playing" zone on the extern section (see the manual) and enable the SUSPED setting on the extern section -- this will result in the Nord sending out sustain messages. This way, you can also let the Nord control the programs on the Kronos by sending CC/PC events on load. You can also have the Nord send out volume messages using the dial in the extern section -- or swell or control messages from the pedal.
Last edited by baekgaard on 10 Nov 2018, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum