S-Waves not on A1?

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
BeneExMachina
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

S-Waves not on A1?

Post by BeneExMachina »

Why why why aren't the 6 or so brilliant supersaw waves from the Stage 3 included on the Lead A1?

They seem so needlessly denied to the A1 whose synth engine is supposed to be based on the Stage 3?

Are they trying to make people buy the Stage 3 instead? I already have a Stage 2 but want the supersaws from the Stage 3?

Are Clavia secretly evil..?
anotherscott

Re: S-Waves not on A1?

Post by anotherscott »

It's the other way around. The A1 is not based on the Stage 3... the Stage 3 was based on the A1. The Stage 3 came later. The Stage 3 also includes sample playback, and I think it is a variation of that technology they are using for the S-waves. The A1 doesn't have any sample playback capability. (No Nord dedicated synth could use samples, except the Nord Wave.) You may find other helpful info at post104522.html

Supersaw originated with Roland, so you might want to look at their JD-XA. Some info at http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic. ... 5&p=294932
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by analogika »

The A1 has the ability to layer four engines. The Stage only has two. Not being able to layer as thickly is probably the reasoning behind adding the supersaw engine (which is based on the sampling engine the A1 doesn’t have, as mentioned).

It’s a bit of a crutch that has the benefit of getting a particular type of sound very quickly.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
Lewthepianoguy

Post by Lewthepianoguy »

it would be nice if there was a way of importing Lead A1 patches into the stage, but as the Stage is in a way or two different to the actual A1 in terms of layering and other functions, that might be tricky, though I suppose if Nord offered the patches / programs etc from the A1 ported to the stage 3 to then layer with the stage's organs / pianos / sampling, etc, that might be a good thing.
NordPH
Patch Creator

Post by NordPH »

BeneExMachina wrote:Why why why aren't the 6 or so brilliant supersaw waves from the Stage 3 included on the Lead A1?

They seem so needlessly denied to the A1 whose synth engine is supposed to be based on the Stage 3?

Are they trying to make people buy the Stage 3 instead? I already have a Stage 2 but want the supersaws from the Stage 3?

Are Clavia secretly evil..?
The superwaves in the NS3 are actually samples and not generated by detuned oscillators.
BeneExMachina
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by BeneExMachina »

NordPH wrote: The superwaves in the NS3 are actually samples and not generated by detuned oscillators.
Oh I didn't realise they were only samples, those S-Waves sounded good through the shop speakers.

Thanks for your help - looks like Nord are yet to produce a good-sounding unison detune