Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Need Opinions on NP4 From Those With Hands-On Experience ...

Postby cphollis » 26 Oct 2018, 03:22

I"m debating whether to (finally) upgrade my Nord Piano 2 to a Nord Piano 4. I am fully apprised of the functional differences between the two, so no need to go there.

I've read 3-4 reviews where people were waxing enthusiastic about the keybed feel when playing, a few calling it "among the best" available in DPs today. My Nord Piano 2 is plenty fun to play, but ... if the keybed feel is what people are saying it is (plus the functional upgrades), well, it just might be worth it.

Just to be clear, I don't care much about triple-sensor, fast repeats and all of that. Just how does it feel under your hands?

So, I'm looking for people who've had the opportunity to spend extended time on the NP4 keybed, and -- perhaps compare/contrast with other Nords as well as other popular keybeds, e.g. CP4, MP11, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by cphollis on 26 Oct 2018, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Need Opinions on NP4 From Those With Hands-On Experience ...

Sponsor

Re: Need Opinions on NP4 From Those With Hands-On Experience

Postby baekgaard » 26 Oct 2018, 23:00

I have a NP4 (as well as an NE3, NE6, NS3, plus a Roland RD-700NX, a grand and an upright piano and a few other boards too). Unfortunately my NP2 experience is quite limited, so it's hard for me to compare to that.

But the NP4 is a bit heavier to the touch than the NS3 (about 20 gram for the physical keys), and the velocity curve appear slightly different too; I find the NP4 in KBD TOUCH 2 to be more similar to the NS3 default KBD TOUCH, so the NP4 is easier to control in the ppp to p range in KBD TOUCH 1; there is a good touch to sound connection. The landing of the keys is also slightly different; I guess due to the lack of aftertouch.

When I know I'm primarily going to play acoustic pianos, I bring the NP4 instead of the NS3.

I like and prefer both Nords over the Roland keys (even with the Roland escapement mechanism and all). The Roland is more tiring to play for extended periods. The NS3 (which you're familiar with) is of course really easy on the hands (it's a relatively light board); the NP4 is more similar to the NS3 than the Roland, but it does feel different.

If there is anything you'd like to know in particular, let me know.

The author baekgaard was thanked by 2 members, including:
SnakeLeoncphollis
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Need Opinions on NP4 From Those With Hands-On Experience

Postby cphollis » 28 Oct 2018, 14:17

Hi Baekgaard -- yes, this is very helpful. Basically, you're saying that you prefer the two Nord actions over others you've tried, with the NP4 being the preferred piano action. I also think you are saying that you generally like the NP4 action in a few regards (weight, control, etc.) and will choose it over the NS3 weighted action when circumstances dictate.

Very useful -- thanks!
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
baekgaard
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum