This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Advice on new piano

Postby anotherscott » 18 Oct 2018, 17:48

Gambold wrote:I have a rolling bag - it's just tedious getting up on a rack

Yes.... and even the rolling bag (i.e. Korg's own bag, which I also have) can create as many problems as it solves, because it adds significant weight of its own, which you'll feel getting it into and out of your vehicle, and carrying it where wheels may not help (up and down steps, across soft lawns or bad pavement). That's why I was glad to discover I could knock off some pounds with the more minimal bag. But yeah, unless I'm pretty confident of an easy load, if I'm going to bring a weighted action, it will probably be a Casio which is 10+ lbs lighter.
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby JayDee » 19 Oct 2018, 17:52

I'm surprised to hear so much dislike of the Nord Rhodes samples. I am 67, I had a 1973 Mk 1 for many many years. If anyone knows what a Rhodes should sound like, it would be me. Have you guys actually owned a Rhodes, not to 'try one out, but owned for like 25 years? I'm not questioning if your ears don't like it, but as I say, as more than a generation Rhodes owner, the Nord samples are good IMHO. I will say, it'd be boring if everyone had the exact same criteria, so I understand and not discounting your opinion. My experience, and there is a lot of it, is the Nord Rhodes are good, However, I'm not comparing them to a Kronos, or an SV1, just a generation, actually more than a generation with a real rhodes. other opinions are valid.

* do note I used the word 'good' not fantastic or 'it's an exact match'. Nothing exactly replaces a real Rhodes. I do get the feeling that some folks are comparing Nord samples to SV 1 samples or Kronos samples rather than a real Rhodes. The Nord is a pretty decent match

**sorry, had to edit this a number of times as I gathered my thoughts, but EQ IS YOUR FRIEND on the Rhodes samples.
Last edited by JayDee on 19 Oct 2018, 19:34, edited 8 times in total.

The author JayDee was thanked by 2 members, including:
PScooter63maurus
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Quai34 » 22 Oct 2018, 08:18

I'm glad I never owned a real Rhodes so, I'm on the side of people who thinks that Nord are good... enough good for me....And anytime I try the SV1, it's cnnected to a Yorkville KB Amp, so, I can tell you, I prefer my Nord Rhodes Samples....
I have very rarely used the Rhides for a Jazz solo sound, it's always AP for me when It comes to jazz so, I'm happy with the Stage 2....
Well, when Nord will finally release a new Rhodes, I might be blown away by the new sound, I hope so at least...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby fieldflower » 22 Oct 2018, 10:35

Quai34 wrote:I'm glad I never owned a real Rhodes so, I'm on the side of people who thinks that Nord are good... enough good for me....

I agree there!
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Makes it possible to enjoy the simple pleasures...
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby hoopyfrood » 22 Oct 2018, 14:13

richardp wrote:So, can anyone offer an opinion if I would be dissapointed by the Kronos? It certainly seems to have a lot more to offer than the Nord in terms of what it can do....! Thanks.

I play and program both NS3 and Kronos. I would say they are two very different boards, intended for very different applications. NS3 is designed for bread and butter sounds, simple, hands-on control and easy programming. The downside of the simplicity of control is that it's quite limited. Depending on your application, you may bump up against the limits of the Nord architecture or not. If you're doing stuff that needs very complex splits and layers, more than 2 synth engines at once or or time-based effects and arps plus a click out to the drummer, then you will struggle to do this with NS3.

Kronos is a different beast - you can do much, much more with it. Complex splits layers, drones, arps, sequences, click out to the drummer etc. it handles easily. Sound wise, they're both excellent, although I would give NS3 the edge on acoustic pianos, and ease of use on Hammonds, but everything else I would give the edge to Kronos. The EP-1 engine on Kronos does a great job modelling a Rhodes, (although my favourite Mk1 Rhodes is still an even earlier Korg Bell-Rhodes sample from the M3 and probably also Triton). I will admit to never having played a real Rhodes, so I'm making the same mistake that others here have pointed out of comparing the NS3 Rhodes to a Kronos rather than a real Rhodes! In comparison between the two, I find the NS3 Rhodes a little brash and thin, vs the Kronos Rhodes which is a bit more weighty, nuanced and deeper - although as others have said, EQ plays a big part. The Kronos Rhodes also has much more tweakability - you can tweak models of hammer width etc.
There are 3 distinct downsides with Kronos though:
- Learning curve is huge. I think there are 2 learning curves for every keyboard: 1. The players' learning curve (i.e. just switching patches, operating the Kb etc.), which I think is easier for Kronos than NS3. 2. The programmers' learning curve is definitely much harder for Kronos (although if you're familiar with older Triton architectures it's not too bad). You have to like doing everything through a touch screen, and get used to menu diving.
- I don't think Korg do a great job with the "out of the box" sounds on Kronos. I find that some sounds, particularly pianos need a bit of tweaking to sound good in a live stage environment, so you do have to go some way up the programmers' learning curve to use it well live. NS3 pianos are pretty good to go out of the box.
- The RH3 keybed on Kronos has a much nicer piano feel to me than NS3 76 or 88, but the downside is weight. I have the Kronos 2 73, which is about 47lbs / 21kg, which in a hard case is getting just a bit heavy for me! The NS3 88 keybed is a good compromise piano / EP / hammond / synth action. Doing glisses or Hammond smears and rakes is OK on the NS3 88 keybed, it's still possible, but definitely hurts the hands trying to do the same on the Kronos RH3 keybed!

There will be endless debates over which is better - and I don't particularly want to start another - this is just my impressions of using both. It really depends what you are going to use it for which is best for you...
hoopyfrood

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby harmonizer » 22 Oct 2018, 15:55

I owned a Rhodes Suitcase 73 for many years, until about 10 years ago. I do like the Nefertiti Rhodes EP sound in my Electro - it has a really nice presence to it, and I find it satisfying. But it was about 8 years between when I got rid of the Suitcase 73 and when I got the Nefertiti installed on my Electro, and I was using a vastly inferior EP sound during the interim.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby anotherscott » 22 Oct 2018, 17:15

Gambold wrote:RE the Nord Rhodes samples - yes, they are ok. But I think given Nord's pricing, and how good their other samples are, the Rhodes ones are a disappointment. Esp when other companies seem to produce better ones without a problem.

Interestingly, not all sample-based EP technology is equivalent. I was talking with a Korg rep about how, while I really liked the Kronos EP1 engine modeled EP sounds, in some cases I preferred the SV1 sampled EPs, and wondered about the possibility of offering those sounds in the Kronos as well via its HD1 sample based engine. Not that they would be exact, there are other differences, not the least of which is that the SV1 models amps making use of an actual tube. But it turns out that also, the sample-based sound engine in the SV1 (from Korg Italy) is different from the tech used by Korg Japan (for Kronos), each has its own tricks, and in fact, there are some things the SV1 can do in its sample-based system that the generally more capable Kronos actually cannot do with its equivalent, meaning Kronos is just not fully capable of duplicating the SV1 sounds. Which is a long way of saying that there can be more to it than just Nord creating/acquiring better Rhodes samples, other aspects of the design could be a factor as well, in whether they can create a Rhodes sound as good as what's in the {insert board of your choice}. Personally, I'd probably rank Rhodes sounds in roughly this order: Korg, Kurzweil, Kawai, Nord, Yamaha, Roland.

Gambold wrote:As for EQ - any sample that requires a lot of fiddling with the EQ to make it decent is not, to my mind, a good sample. I'm not a big fan of EQ for anything

I have found that EQ helps the EPs a lot. I don't really think "well, it should sound perfect without EQ," I'm okay with having to use the EQ... and in fact, any "real" Rhodes you ever heard probably effectively had some kind of EQ on it. Remember that, like an electric guitar, a Rhodes basically makes virtually no sound until you put it into a playback system, which almost invariably will add its own coloration. One place where the Nord architecture makes things a little complicated, though, is that, once you find an EQ you like for a Rhodes, you have to save it in a program, which means you can't easily grab that Rhodes sound from the front panel on the fly whenever you want, to mix and match with other sounds, whatever... you can only get to it from your recallable preset, and can only use it in conjunction with other sounds by using the more cumbersome copy-and-paste functions to move sounds from one recallable preset into another.

Gambold wrote:I'm not a big fan of EQ for anything, and I've found the most of Nord's pianos and the organs need very little, if any, to sound great.

I think a big difference there is, unlike an EP, a piano does have a "real" acoustic in-the-room sound, as does even a Hammond organ through a Leslie, which is almost always how it's been heard. So there is a known standard for what the "real thing" sounds like, whereas a given Rhodes could sound different depending on what it was being played through. So naturally, Nord's piano samples are designed to sound like a piano in the room, their Hammond emulation has a known target sound of Hammond through Leslie. But except for their "amped" samples (and maybe the Rhodes Suitcase, which came with its own amp/speaker), the EPs are probably raw samples out of their outputs, something no one ever hears when they're listening to an actual Rhodes, and so it's up to additional processing (including EQ) to emulate the rest of the sound, i.e. you're working from a different kind of starting point than when working with a piano sound.

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
JayDeePScooter63
anotherscott

Postby Bjosko » 22 Oct 2018, 21:13

What I miss most on the Nord EP samples both from Wurlitzer and Rhodes are some more “bark” ( the std samples in the Kronos miss it too).
Wondering if Nord have used fewer layers in the EP’s ?
Scarabee does it right, even in the Korg Module (add-on for the IOS app).
/Bjørn

The author Bjosko was thanked by:
brane
Bjosko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby anotherscott » 22 Oct 2018, 21:56

Bjosko wrote:What I miss most on the Nord EP samples both from Wurlitzer and Rhodes are some more “bark”

I remember when first going through the various Rhodes models on the Nord, I wished I could have combined the lower velocity samples from one of them with the bark of another! The one that had the best bark didn't work so well for me at low velocities, and vice versa.
anotherscott

Postby Riddim17 » 21 Nov 2018, 21:04

Hi
I have a korg sv1 and a nord electro 5d
The ne5 is better than sv1 in totaly points
The rhodes on sv1 is more caricatural
The nefertiti is my favourite rhodes on nord
so smoothy mk1
For b3 organ, the sound of ne5d is really amazing and thé keybed too
On sv1 the effects are not enough fine, nord effects are perfect
Ne5d is so light to transport, i love that