All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Mackie Onyx 1640i, Cubase, drivers: Steps to follow

Postby Quai34 » 15 Oct 2018, 06:41

Hi Guys,
8 years ago, I decided to set up a new home studio after a break of 10 years...Well, even more, my last Home Studio was Atari 1040 and Notator form C-Lab...
So, I installed all the audio first and then all the software and computer...I was ready to record, all connection were working well in Cubase, midi and Audio but:
The Imac was not mine, from my job and when I was laid off, I had to give it back and found another job...
Since then, for the past 5 years, the studio hasn't worked at all because I've been doing Live music only...
I was able to keep record of all the steps to reset the studio with two interface M-Audio Firewire 2626 and I haven't had the time to re-est the studio yet...but today, my goal is different anyway,

I want to use my Mackie Onyx 1640i as a recorder with Cubase to record our practices in the basement.
I've bought a late 2015 Imac and nothing has been downloaded on it yet (besides the librarian for my Nord and other keys):

So, I read a lot online and I think I need to do that.
1) Check my mackie to see the serial number
2) Check the Os I'm on with my Imac
3) Downloading the drivers that match it, or no drivers if it's Core Audio (I foud the recap on Mackie website that explains which Os works with whcih version of the Onyx...)
4) Downloading Cubase, Artist 6.5 in my case
5) Plugging the Firewire Port of the mackie to the Imac with the apporpriate connector/cable
6) Going into the "Midi and audio setup" on the Imac to see if I see the mackie in it

So, question 1:
Is the order above is right or is there something I need to do in a different order?
Question 2:
After step 6), I'm lost...
Do I need to check which frequency is the recording, in cubase? and set it up? or will it be done automatically? Or looking at the manual on the mackie to see which frequencies is available and decide which one (Knowing that 44Khtz/16 Bit should be enough right?) I remember that I need to check the latency as well? or something else...But as the monitoring will be done with the Aux Sends to IEM, nothing to worry right? But the buffer needs to be adjustaed because i will record almost 16 audio tracks at the same time....

Sorry to ask those simple thing but I have never done it with the Mackie and when I did it with the M-Audio 2626 and the Older Imac (2005 one I think), I had some issue but at that time I had a friend of mine who was really knowledgeable in this field...
Today, not the case, all my friends are bassist or guitarists or drummers...Or keys players, yes, on this forum and on KC as well...
And when I was good to record, it was 5 years ago and I didn't touch anything on the recording side since then...
So, let me know
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Mackie Onyx 1640i, Cubase, drivers: Steps to follow

Sponsor

Return to Accessories and Amplification