General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Nord stage 3 88 inconsistent feeling keybed

Postby cki69 » 02 Oct 2018, 22:01

Played mine now for a while - I was surprised about the action. Having a Yamaha CP5 as well, I think the action is even better! And portable at that :-) Although this is maximum weight that I want to move around. Nevertheless, I am happy with these keys - quite an improvement from the older Stage 2 in my opinion.
So I think you only have to exchange your faulty keyboard. It might be some kind of transport damage.
cki69

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby GregFaust » 12 Oct 2018, 18:26

NordNerd431 wrote:Have had the same issue (as well as noisy keys when they’re released) since I got mine. Exchanged for a new board, and then had the 2nd board sent for repair. Long story short, it is a noisy, inconsistent keybed in an otherwise excellent piece of equipment. I was told by the distributor that Clavia has spent enough money on me, and that they recommend I return the board for a refund. They also claim to have never had complaints like this about the keybed before. I also have never had this issue with Rolands or Korgs. Ever. It’s a shame that I have been labeled as a troublemaker rather than admitting that their product has issues. My final step is to send the distributor a video file demonstrating the issue, hoping that communicating the problem in this way may help Clavia better understand what the problem is.

thommydonuts wrote:Hey everyone,

I’ve just bought (and returned) a Nord stage 3 88 because of inconsistent feeling keys all the way up the keybed.

Some feel undampened and return quickly whereas others are slower dampened and feel mushy to play. It’s particularly noticeable playing slowly and softly. Playing harder and fast not quite as much.

I’ve made a quick video to show this:

https://youtu.be/GFIA5SIsHHk

Just to be clear it’s not a critique of the entire action, which I know isn’t ‘the best’ hammer keybed out there, but a problem with the quality control.

I’ve tried one other stage 3 88 which was better then the original I purchased, but still had random different feeling keys. The one I got was particularly stiff in the middle of the keyboard which wasn’t fun.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone know if Nord has done a bad batch?

I need to get another one, but I don’t want a lucky dip choice of whether it’s. a good one or not?! It’s a £3000 keyboard!

Thanks in advance

I went through three NS3 having returned two. They all had the same problem. The one I have now is better than the first two but there are still two or three noisy keys that click. This keybed is no yamaha keybed. Its inconsistent, loosey" and noisy. Its a shame because the sounds are top notch and world class.
GregFaust

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby cki69 » 13 Oct 2018, 13:25

So, I was lucky with the one that I got. No inconsistencies or noises till now.
The Yamaha CP5 is of course great - bought it especially for its (partly) wooden keys. However with case it is about 30 kg. Therefore I prefer to Schlepp-around the Nords :-)
cki69

Postby cki69 » 18 Oct 2018, 17:22

cki69 wrote:So, I was lucky with the one that I got. No inconsistencies or noises till now.
The Yamaha CP5 is of course great - bought it especially for its (partly) wooden keys. However with case it is about 30 kg. Therefore I prefer to Schlepp-around the Nords :-)

Now I have to add unfortunately: Three weeks later, the keys have a remarkable 'Spring'-Sound - as if something is loose inside. I doubt that this keybed will last some years. So with a lot of regret - I will send the Stage back and say good-bye :thumbdown: to it.
cki69

Postby NordNerd431 » 28 Oct 2018, 22:04

cki69 wrote:
cki69 wrote:So, I was lucky with the one that I got. No inconsistencies or noises till now.

Now I have to add unfortunately: Three weeks later, the keys have a remarkable 'Spring'-Sound - as if something is loose inside. I doubt that this keybed will last some years. So with a lot of regret - I will send the Stage back and say good-bye :thumbdown: to it.
Last edited by NordNerd431 on 22 Nov 2018, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 88
Roland Fantom X8
Korg O1/W
Yamaha DX7
Roland D50
Roland fp3
NordNerd431

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum